EV Charging

Lastresort576

Hard Core 4+
you do your research...The vast majority wont, take the sales pitch to heart and get taken advantage of. Every program that sounds great, has a monetary motive behind it. Someone always wins and its generally not the customer.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
People can't be that naive.. I still think I'm the one who's missing something here.
"Never underestimate the effectiveness of a straight cash bribe." -- Claud Cockburn

It started with all those flashing VCR clocks.

Last edited:

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Ok so I beat this topic to death with my buddy Mark... confirmed that yes the rates are indeed exactly the same regardless of which cord you are using. The benefit to the one from Xcel is they can monitor when you are charging your car, so their annual incentive is based on how much of your charge time fell within your committed charge time during off-peak hours. But the annual incentive is like $50...

So given that our Leaf is programmed to already charge during the cheaper off-peak hours, there's really on advantage here that I can see, other than a 14-year ROI on a $700 power cord.

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
you do your research...The vast majority wont, take the sales pitch to heart and get taken advantage of. Every program that sounds great, has a monetary motive behind it. Someone always wins and its generally not the customer.
Most people pay attention to their money. In particular, the less money a person has, the more they watch every penny and get creative about ways to stretch a dollar. My guess is that few people will see the value for a $700 charging cord.

gungriffin

Rising Sun Member
This seems a lot like the program Xcel offers where they give you a one time $100 payment to be able to throttle your AC to ~80 degrees on the hottest weekdays of the year from that point forward. The best part was people who complained when we had a string of hot days in 2021. It actually made national news that Xcel "took control" of peoples thermostats. Yeah, after those people took a fool's bribe.