Entry Level DSLR

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
My oldest :Princess: joined a photography club in middle school this year and says she loves it...This is the child that is also really into soccer and horses.

Right now she has been using a school camera, our P&S, and her iPhone to take pictures. We were thinking of getting her an entry level DSLR or a really good P&S for use and if she ends up really loving photography she can move up later.

Thoughts? I read the thread Rezarf started some time ago for some ideas.

I'm seeing deals on the Rebel EOS T3 (Woot has one on its Woot Off right now) and Heather sent me this link to a Rebel T3 kit at Buy.com (http://www.buy.com/prod/canon-eos-r...mm-lens-2x/224538450.html?listingid=160023390)

We have an older film camera that we bought years ago that I have a couple of lenses for that I think we could reuse (they are good lenses as I recall) so I need to dig that out and see what make of camera it is that we have. So maybe just a new DSLR body to go with the lenses?

So, any general thoughts or lines on a decent entry level DSLR for a 13 yo kid just getting into photography that could decide in 6 months that boys are more interesting than cameras? :rolleyes:

I would give her your old film camera and have her start there. Not to sound corny but there's this magical organic quality in learning photography through film. One of the great things it teaches is patience. Patience for moments. Patience for composition. Patience for light. Patience for results. If she falls in love with the process of film, the rest of it is a cake walk and she will learn so much more in the long run.

Let me know if I can help you out in any way. I've got a ton of B&W film I'd be more than happy to give you to get her started.

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
I would give her your old film camera and have her start there. Not to sound corny but there's this magical organic quality in learning photography through film. One of the great things it teaches is patience. Patience for moments. Patience for composition. Patience for light. Patience for results. If she falls in love with the process of film, the rest of it is a cake walk and she will learn so much more in the long run.

Thanks for the idea :thumb:

I had already mentioned that to her, thinking that would be a great solution. But, that doesn't work for her photography club because they are all digital :( - They take pictures and do all their stuff on the computer. I'm sure this is in part to save cost because they don't have any film developing costs unless they decide to actually print out prints.

CardinalFJ60

Rising Sun Member
I'm a Nikon fan.

I think a used D40 or D40x might be a good entry level camera for that age. I have the d40x and it's a GREAT 'lightproof box". I think they can be had fairly cheaply nowadays. I wanna say they are about 4 models old now. I still use mine regularly.

Canon and Nikon are both great manufacturers, although there are followers for both camps...just like Jeep/landcruiser fun. (although LandCruisers ARE better :thumb: )

Thanks for the idea :thumb:

I had already mentioned that to her, thinking that would be a great solution. But, that doesn't work for her photography club because they are all digital :( - They take pictures and do all their stuff on the computer. I'm sure this is in part to save cost because they don't have any film developing costs unless they decide to actually print out prints.

I figured that was the case. I find it a bit unfortunate but understandable if it's just a club program. My recommendation then has a few parts.

First, any decent entry level body will suffice. Doesn't have to be new but anything in the 10-12 megapixel range will hold her for awhile. For lenses, I'd recommend a 50 and a 35. Get them as fast as you can afford. In the Canon line, look for a 50/1.4 and a 35/2.0. Those will help with composition skills and getting over the fear of being close to a subject.

Second, have her use the film camera on her own. A roll should always be loaded and this should be the camera she carries with her running around town with you, with her friends, doing whatever. Make a weekend project out of it. One day. One roll. 36 frames. Tell a story.

Third, have her treat the digital like her film camera. The LCD on the back stays off. No reviewing frames until she downloads them.

If she winds up shooting some film, one of the best labs in the country is here in Denver. I've used them for years, starting when they were in LA, and they were the one thing that set me apart when I was freelancing for the magazines.

http://www.dr5.com

If there's anything I can help you with, don't hesitate to get in touch. Talking, teaching, doing photography is way more pleasant for me than slinging code. :hill:

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
Thanks guys!!!

Great suggestions. I'm going to check what we have and go from there...Maybe just get an inexpensive digital body to go with the lenses I already have. As I recall they were decent lenses but honestly, the camera hasn't been out of the camera case in probably 6+ years.