Entry Level DSLR recommendations?

Rezarf

Hard Core 4+
I am thinking about stepping up out of the point and click camera and I have been looking into the world of Digital SLR's.

I don't want to spend a ton to get into something, but I'd like to have something with a full auto setting and basic learning curve for learning manual photography.

Also, is there any good places to find used gear? Online?

I have handled a Rebel, and a few others around town, but I think I would like to pursue something used to get started.

Is it impossible to have a budget of $250-300 and get into something worth trying out?

CardinalFJ60

Rising Sun Member
I'm a Nikon fan.

the entry level nikons are great as are the Canons. I say, get something that fits your hands, seems intuitive to you, etc. That being said...I'm a fan of B&H photo (www.bhphoto.com) they have a used section and have the best prices on new stuff. I think the Nikon D5000 is a GREAT camera as is the older D3000 and one of my favorites...the D40/D40x (I have the D40x). I'd search for the D40 for an inexpensive used entry level nikon.

Another important thing to look at are lenses and collective knowledge. Lenses: I think Canon has several different mounts, be sure to get a configuration that will allow you to grow into the hobby. Nikon stuff has the same mounts (to get specific, some will support Auto focus other's won't). As you get more into it, let me know what questions you have about lenses.

Collective knowledge: so...I chose Yaesu 'cuz alot of you have that brand and there's alot of knowledge. at the level of money you are spending on a camera or ham you're getting a great product. I'm a Nikon guy and bet there are an equal number of Canon guys in the club. they are both top of class. :thumb:

I am thinking about stepping up out of the point and click camera and I have been looking into the world of Digital SLR's.

I don't want to spend a ton to get into something, but I'd like to have something with a full auto setting and basic learning curve for learning manual photography.

Also, is there any good places to find used gear? Online?

I have handled a Rebel, and a few others around town, but I think I would like to pursue something used to get started.

Is it impossible to have a budget of $250-300 and get into something worth trying out?

KEH.com is a reputable place to get used gear online. Their rating system is very comprehensive, and they're usually pretty conservative with the ratings they give equipment. I've got a few friends that have ordered from them with great results.

$250-300 is going to be a bit tight for anything new in an entry level DSLR, unless you've already got a lens. $500-600 seems to be the starting point for a kit. At that range you'd be looking at a Canon Rebel T2i, or a Nikon D3100.

You could probably score a used Nikon D40, D50, or D70, or a Canon 20D in that range. If you're looking at 2004-2007 vintage, I'd look at the Canon stuff. They were definitely a little ahead of Nikon with their CMOS sensors in my opinion. If you're looking post 2007, either brand would be a good bet.

the entry level nikons are great as are the Canons. I say, get something that fits your hands, seems intuitive to you, etc. That being said...I'm a fan of B&H photo (www.bhphoto.com) they have a used section and have the best prices on new stuff. I think the Nikon D5000 is a GREAT camera as is the older D3000 and one of my favorites...the D40/D40x (I have the D40x). I'd search for the D40 for an inexpensive used entry level nikon.

Another important thing to look at are lenses and collective knowledge. Lenses: I think Canon has several different mounts, be sure to get a configuration that will allow you to grow into the hobby. Nikon stuff has the same mounts (to get specific, some will support Auto focus other's won't). As you get more into it, let me know what questions you have about lenses.

Collective knowledge: so...I chose Yaesu 'cuz alot of you have that brand and there's alot of knowledge. at the level of money you are spending on a camera or ham you're getting a great product. I'm a Nikon guy and bet there are an equal number of Canon guys in the club. they are both top of class. :thumb:

+1 on a used D40x.

AxleIke

Hard Core 4+
IMO, the Rebel is a good starting point. However, if it were me, and I was looking to get into a good camera, I would buy once, cry once. A low end camera is going to leave you wanting on a lot of things.

As an alternative, I got a Nikon Powershot. It is a higher end point and shoot camera that is 12 something MP and has a 30x optical zoom on it. It was just a bit higher than your price range, but not much. My dad has 6k into his Nikon DSLR, and his is only amateur quality.

The Powershot takes very good pictures, can do full manual or full auto, or anything in between. My biggest frustration with it is that the Fstop range is only 3-7, which is pretty lame.

Anyway just another option. I couldn't afford the DSLR option, and I've been pretty happy with the alternative.

There's lots of options. Canon vs. Nikon is the same argument as Apple vs. Microsoft. Buy what works for you. In general, Nikons have always had better AF capabilities while Canon was better on color rendition. I started with Canon film bodies and already had a huge investment in lenses so it was a no brainer when I went to digital. The lens mounts are all the same across all bodies.

One thing to keep in mind, whether it's film or digital, a camera body is nothing more than a light proof box. If you move up the model range, sure you might get a few more features, but the quality of the final file stays pretty constant. The one variable is the glass you put on the end. You're much better off buying a lower end body and using the savings towards a piece of better glass. Kit lenses are less than desirable.

Another option to consider, would something similar to Canon's G12. This is an awesome little camera and comes with enough manual features to keep you interested and learning. Nikon probably has something similar. Head over to dpreview and do a little digging around.

I ran my own studio for just over 5 years and I'm more than happy to offer any and all knowledge.

wesintl

RS Moderator
I only really know some of the nikon stuff but their entry level dslr d3000 for $450 with 18-55 is a nice camera. With kids though I would step up to the 3100 or the 5100 so you get movie capability. You would be happy with that or the canon equivalents even though it's more money.

I have been thinking about selling my D80 with 28-55 lens. I have everything including the box.. $450, nice and clean

Last edited:

Rezarf

Hard Core 4+
Thanks guys, I have been talking with this guy over on ExPo. We are at $350 shipped to my door for the whole lot. Whatcha' think? I don't have too much time to research the model, and even then I am clueless to much of what I have read. If you guys think its worth going for, I'm going for it.

Link

Drew

Thanks guys, I have been talking with this guy over on ExPo. We are at $350 shipped to my door for the whole lot. Whatcha' think? I don't have too much time to research the model, and even then I am clueless to much of what I have read. If you guys think its worth going for, I'm going for it.

Link

Drew

Do it. That 28-135 lens is awesome. You'll be happy with that for awhile.

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Looks like a deal. If you upgrade later, you'll 2/3 of your money back just selling the lens.

wesintl

RS Moderator
I think it's "ok" for a 10 year old 6.3 mp camera. I dunno. Not that great of a "deal" imho. The bags are a personal preference so I don't count them. You're basically getting a lens for that $

IMHO your better off spending $100-150 more on a new camera. warranty, nicer 3+ inch screen compared to the 1.5 on that one, etc, etc. First thing the kids do when you take a pic is want to see it on the back. Plus a couple more years and that body is only worth $50. sure you still have a lens i guess.

JMHO

I picked up a Digital Rebel exactly like that one for $100 a couple of years ago. The megapixels are misleading, as the pixel density is pretty darn good (it looks far better than some of the newer, high MP units). I'm not much of a photographer, but we have really enjoyed the camera. You can probably do better on the price, despite the nice lens.

wesintl

RS Moderator

Rezarf

Hard Core 4+
yeah sure mp is only one thing it's really more of the sensor etc. the sensor on that was the same as the 10D way back when but the software limits it.

when you can get this
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Nikon-10.2MP-D3000-Kit/12169833
and this
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Canon-12.2MP-5157B017/17254377

spending that kinda coin on that old one to me doesn't make sense esp when the canon above has video. I suppose if your budget is your budget you have to get what works for you.

flame suit on

Thanks Wes, I am in no hurry, so I think I'll pass... the world of photography is overwhelming. I bet I know what a newbie feels like when they start shopping for a 40 for the first time with no background.

RockRunner

Hard Core 4+
I would pass on it for now. The batteries may not hold as long of charge anymore as when new. The lens is OK but heavy, you can get a better lens form Sigma For the money you would spend for that lens. The cases can be had for less than he wants on eBay. Also the camera is to old, you can go to Costco or Sam's and buy an new camera that is ten times better.

Now I still shoot with my Canon 20D and feel it is fine for what I do. I would like to upgrade to get a camera with 1080P movie capability but don't want to spend the money now. You need to write down what you want the camera to do and then see what system fits your budget. Then I would buy the unit that is one step up from there.

And as for what brand to buy...........look for the best deal in either and go from there. they are both great brands and do basicly the same thing. The picture quality is 80%lens and 20% camera and so is the cost nearly in the consumer level to prosumer.

Jenny Cruiser

Hard Core 4+
I've been really happy with my Sony Alpha. It does most everything I need it to, and didn't break the bank. My kit was around 2k new and I got it used for<500 four years ago. I don't think anyone here gives a shiznit about Sony though. You prolly can't go wrong w/Wes' suggestions. You may be happier with a decent point and shoot for that money though. If I were getting into it today I'd be looking for a deal on a D7000. That's an entry level DSLR. You'd be happy with that for a long time. I'll be getting out of entry level limitations as soon as Nikon makes up it's mind on the replacement for the D700. Keeping the Alpha too. :)

Last edited:
I've been really happy with my Sony Alpha. It does most everything I need it to, and didn't break the bank. My kit was around 2k new and I got it used for<500 four years ago. I don't think anyone here gives a shiznit about Sony though. You prolly can't go wrong w/Wes' suggestions. You may be happier with a decent point and shoot for that money though. If I were getting into it today I'd be looking for a deal on a D7000. That's an entry level DSLR. You'd be happy with that for a long time. I'll be getting out of entry level limitations as soon as Nikon makes up it's mind on the replacement for the D700. Keeping the Alpha too. :)

Sony has some cool tech they put in their cameras. The Alpha's semi-transparent mirror that allows the use of phase detection focusing, but lets the light still hit the sensor without the mirror moving, is REALLY trick. It lets them squeeze crazy frame rates out of the camera that you don't get until you're in a >$4k Canon or Nikon. Best of both DSLR and mirrorless.

corsair23

Hard Core 4+

corsair23

Hard Core 4+

Cheeseman

Rising Sun Member
Two things well maybe three. Glass is everything, spend your money on great glass. Whatever you do get an aftermarket book on the camera body. A person really needs to decide how deep into the camera operation they want to go. That truly depends on your photographic knowledge you currently have and then how much you want to learn. And lastly remember the multiplication factor for the lens. Most entry level camera bodies have a 1.4 to 1.5 factor because of the size of the sensor that the picture is recorded from. A 100 mm lens now becomes 150 mm. So when you get into the 300mm lens, very few people can effectively hold it steady when it now becomes 450mm cuz of the factor.