• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

Engine Mounts

What would a failing or loose (not broken) engine mount feel like when driving? How hard are they to replace?

Matt

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
gcmandrake said:
What would a failing or loose (not broken) engine mount feel like when driving? How hard are they to replace?

Matt

Open the hood, start the truck, hold the brakes hard and let the clutch grab a little in low range-low gear. If the engine doesn't start to lift up mounts are fine. The engine will move as torque is applied but it will lift if the mounts are broke. This only takes a little effort! Don't get carried away and probably not a good idea to do it with anything in close proximity to the front of the truck! (ie. wifes car, wife, garage door, kids, bikes, pets, mother-in-law....oops that one is prolly ok!) ;)

Shark Bait

Rising Sun Member
My fan blades were hitting the shroud on my FJ40 when mine went bad.

Thanks guys. Makes sense. Of course, this is an automatic, but the principle would still apply. Is there any sound/vibration that one could feel while driving?

Matt

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
gcmandrake said:
Thanks guys. Makes sense. Of course, this is an automatic, but the principle would still apply. Is there any sound/vibration that one could feel while driving?

Matt

There could be. Another mount to check is the rear mounts at the crossmember. If the rubber insert is shot you will feel vibrations. The rear mounts are positive capture meaning even if the rubber fails the mount will still keep the rear of the engine located.

Other items to look for, out of balance engine accessories (fan blades, loose water pump pulley bolts, toasted idler pulley bearings, AC clutch bearings, flex plate/torque converter bolts, worn fan belts, etc...) If it's a constant vibration then most offen it will make a harmonic noise. Try to locate the noise, if any, and you will probably find your problem.

Sometimes a semi - plugged injector will also cause felt vibrations, engine still running as strong?

I'm pretty sure that the main vibration I am feeling is from the drive shaft, but I can feel it by my feet. I'm buying a shim from Roger Brown, but I was thinking of replacing the engine mounts since they look like they are original. Perhaps I should do the cross member as well. The engine runs well, the power is kind of sad...

Matt