Electrical gremlin in the 67 Stout

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
So was it the reverse switch wiring?
I think so, Jeff! I drove it today after trying to get more air out of the cooling system and it didn't blow the fuse. I'll get around to cleaning up the Trans tunnel underneath sometime soon and I'll fix those wires and route them better. No reason to have it connected right now anyway as there is no reverse light yet!

Last edited:

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
I think so, Jeff! I drove it today after trying to get more air out of the cooling system and it didn't blow the fuse. I'll get around to cleaning up the Trans tunnel underneath sometime soon and I'll fix those wires and rout them better. No reason to have it connected right now anyway as there is no reverse light yet!

I have chased my share of similar intermittent shorting issues in my day on our old antique rigs. They are quite often visible just by examining the insulation closely. Several years ago, Tim Nakari had a fuse blowing plow Binder when he lived in Evergreen that we found had a wire with insulation worn through where it went through the firewall.

I had an issue in my '71 40 recently where the left blinker quit blinking. The flasher unit needs a minimum current to blink, so I suspected a blown bulb and replaced the bulb which didn't fix the problem. Then I looked at the wiring and saw that it was broken where it enters the fixture under the fender. Do'h! :homer:

For all those people who parrot the stuff they read on the interwebs that say "check your grounds" I say, they known not what they type!