• ColoYota Expo: swap meet + show and shine. Saturday, May 11 from 10 am - 2 pm
    Get Details & Register Now!
    . Only $5 to attend (no additional charge to participate in the swap meet).

Hey Guest, we need volunteers to help run the event. Please sign up here.

easy tech - windshield fold-down parts?

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Hey so I want to flip down the windsheild, once I take the hard top off. "Because it's there" is probably the best reason I've got so far..

Anyhoos I've got the brackets, new rubber things, and the clamps. Anything more to it besides fiipping the windsheild down to line it up, then drilling some holes? here are the parts:

Attachments

• hoodparts.jpg
    hoodparts.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 206

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
I think you will see the place to drill the holes from the underside of your hood if I recall.

The windshield had the place for the hooks to go to.

I might suggest laying down the windshield to measure for the brackets and again for the hooks.

Now your finally doing a mod I wanted to do. :D

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Yeah it looks like the PPO welded the holes in the hood shut, so I'll probably have to grind those flush before drilling again, so the nuts sit flat on the inside of the hood. Hopefully not a big deal..

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Anyhoos I've got the brackets, new rubber things, and the clamps. Anything more to it besides fiipping the windsheild down to line it up, then drilling some holes? here are the parts:

A heavy coat! :rolleyes: :lmao: :hill:

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
You should pick up the hood that Isotel is selling, already has the holes in the right place as well as the welded on tabs to retain the hooks when the windshield isn't down. Plus you'll get the Uber-cool-old-school chrome center fin. :thumb:

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
You probably know this, but you'll need to pull out the big windshield knobs on the dash. In my old '75, the knobs had broken off and there were just bolt heads to unscrew.

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Oh, and take your ski goggles with you -- the worst part about having no windshield is the wind in your eyes. That's why you always see those old English gents wearing goggles in their open top MGs in old pictures from the '30s.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Forgot about the little tabs that retain the hooks when the windshield is up... dang. Buying Isotel's hood is an interesting idea as well, would that bolt right up? no interference issues with my radiator, or battery, or ??

edit: wait, wouldn't the hooks just hook to the bracket when not in use?

Attachments

• hoodparts2.jpg
    hoodparts2.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 217

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
Tim,

If your worried about metal to metal contact I'd put some protective rubber or what not under the hook and attachment points. I bought some stuff from AATLAS1X (Shane) for just that purpose some time ago. I plan to use it to go under the hinge plates, hood hold downs, etc.

Aside from that, maybe these pics from my old '76 might help?

:cheers:

Attachments

• Front 1.JPG
    Front 1.JPG
    41.9 KB · Views: 191
  • Driver Side 1.JPG
    Driver Side 1.JPG
    58.9 KB · Views: 185

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Hey that helps quite a bit, thanks! It looks like yours are hooked to the brackets then, correct?

and here's the present hood situation...

Attachments

• nak_hood1.jpg
    nak_hood1.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 177
  • nak_hood2.jpg
    nak_hood2.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 182

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
Hey that helps quite a bit, thanks! It looks like yours are hooked to the brackets then, correct?

Yep, they were. On my '74 they are a little different but same principle. Looks like you have the hole locations if you can drill them out cleanly...

Here are what they look like on my '74...

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 202

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Earlier hoods have a different hold pattern, so make sure the holes that have been plugged on yours are in the right place, just to be sure. I also have a bunch of rubber you can cut out to shape so that you don't have to have metal bracket sitting on hood grinding your paint away. The hooks sit in the bracket when not in use. Check the motor box, when my windshield folds down mine hits the cowl; I think there is something up with my frame. Also make sure the wiring for the motor (routed through the glovebox) has enough length so that the windshield does not pull on it when it is folded down.

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
I have the old-school style like Corsair has on his '74 and as on Isotels hood.
I didn't realize there were differences in the hood hardware on later models.
More trivia about differences in 40's, always good to learn something new. :)

treerootCO

Rising Sun Member
58-9/71 was the split hood. Has a seam down the middle and the chrome spear.

9/71-12/74 was the one piece hood

1/75-1984 was the one piece hood (I think the prop rod moved)

The hood hooks and bumpers changed throughout the years:

1958-1965 FJ40/FJ45 flat bumper

1966-9/71 40 & 45 Series two tier bumper?

9/71-1/75 FJ40 ???

1/75-1984 FJ40 The hook is stored on the bumper instead of on the hood.

Rezarf

Hard Core 4+
Tim, before you drill if you want to check out how mine look and take any measurements let me know, I could swing by.

Drew

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Cool, thanks Drew. This isn't happening for at least a month.. when does hardtop season end, anyway?

subzali

Hard Core 4+
I also took some measurements...I got snowed on last spring so mine is staying on until May 1. If my truck isn't running by then it may or may not stay on longer...

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Cool, thanks Drew. This isn't happening for at least a month.. when does hardtop season end, anyway?

Back when I would run the hard top in the winter, I would usually remove it sometime in April, and put it back on in October. Last time I had it on was 2001, though. :) If the 40 was still my daily driver, I would certainly put it back on for the winter.