• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

East coast (Vermont) Fall color run- thoughts, interest?

bh4rnnr

Outlaw, Scoundrel, Miscreant
I've been pondering a trip of this sorts for some time (figure this kinda falls in with me wanting to get on longer road trips), but after my last outing down to Kebler Pass to catch the Fall colors, thought this might be a good first big outing.

I've barely been out east, Buffalo a few times waaaay back in 2007 and Chicago/Boston Airports for connecting flights to Ireland.

Vermont seems to have a good amount to offer ( at least from what I've seen/watched online). Thought it might be fun to combine chasing Fall colors and a bit of backcountry travel.

I get 17 PTO days come mid December for work, feel like I'd be able to make a trip like this happen. Gonna start reaching out to OK4wheeldrive and Mountain States Overland about this. Any TLCA clubs in the area I should reach out to?

Would appreciate any thoughts and if there's any interest in making a club run out of it ( know a lot is going to depend on what happens over the next few months) even better...

2.jpg

29.jpg

:beer: :beer:

gr8fulabe

Rising Sun Member
There won't be any colors to see by mid, or late December. New England can be really damp & cold in the winter, so if you are going, pack more warm stuff than you would for out here. It would still be a super fun trip, I just don't think you'll see a lot of fall colors then.

On the RX

Rising Sun Member
Ohio colors are past peak right now and it is lower in latitude than Vermont. West Virginia will have peaked over the last two weekends. Here is a decent link to follow along. Everything should be done and on the ground by December.

bh4rnnr

There won't be any colors to see by mid, or late December. New England can be really damp & cold in the winter, so if you are going, pack more warm stuff than you would for out here. It would still be a super fun trip, I just don't think you'll see a lot of fall colors then.

Ohio colors are past peak right now and it is lower in latitude than Vermont. West Virginia will have peaked over the last two weekends. Here is a decent link to follow along. Everything should be done and on the ground by December.

Thanks guys. Should have noted that this will be for next Fall season (2021).

:beer::beer:

riderjgs

Lifted
We are actually planning the same trip next Fall. Part 2 of the bucket list “all four corners of the continental US” in our 50 year old Porsche. Plan on starting in far NE Maine mid-September and ending up in Key West. No set schedule although I’m told Halloween in Key West is quite a party. Did the West Coast top to bottom a few summers ago. Maybe see you along the way.

FunkyYota

Rising Sun Member
Vermont and the adirondacks have some good leaf stuff peeping. Might be worthwhile to do a trip up the Maine coast too. Taking the ferry across from grand isle and then back across Champlain at Charlotte is pretty cool. I used to live there. Vermont and Maine have a ton of cool dirt roads.

wesintl

RS Moderator
IMHO take i40 to tn and up through wv, beckley, snowshoe, elkins and the heart of monongahela national forest. Up thru oakland md to seven springs then boogie up to vt, nh, me. or go to gsmnp, blueridge pwky to skyline dr then up to NE. https://www.nps.gov/shen/planyourvisit/maps.htm

On the RX

Rising Sun Member
The finger lakes are awesome to see during the color change. Its one of the main things I miss about living back east.

bh4rnnr

We are actually planning the same trip next Fall. Part 2 of the bucket list “all four corners of the continental US” in our 50 year old Porsche. Plan on starting in far NE Maine mid-September and ending up in Key West. No set schedule although I’m told Halloween in Key West is quite a party. Did the West Coast top to bottom a few summers ago. Maybe see you along the way.

Sounds like an awesome road trip!

Vermont and the adirondacks have some good leaf stuff peeping. Might be worthwhile to do a trip up the Maine coast too. Taking the ferry across from grand isle and then back across Champlain at Charlotte is pretty cool. I used to live there. Vermont and Maine have a ton of cool dirt roads.

Think it all depends on how much time I'm able to get for the tip. Would love to check out Maine though.

IMHO take i40 to tn and up through wv, beckley, snowshoe, elkins and the heart of monongahela national forest. Up thru oakland md to seven springs then boogie up to vt, nh, me. or go to gsmnp, blueridge pwky to skyline dr then up to NE. https://www.nps.gov/shen/planyourvisit/maps.htm

Intrigued with the Blueridge Parkway..

The finger lakes are awesome to see during the color change. Its one of the main things I miss about living back east.

Was able to check out the Finger Lakes quiet a while ago. Definitely want to make another visit.

:beer::beer:

LARGEONE

Rising Sun Member
I’m not sure I own a vehicle that would make it that far! Haha! Just kidding,but that’s a lot of windshield time.

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
I've always wanted to go do this, but I have different fish to fry for 2021

CardinalFJ60

Rising Sun Member
I grew up in Western Mass. about 45 in. from the VT border, it's wicked pretty out there that time of year. it's a loooooooooooong haul. I've driven it twice. plan on about 40 hours driving time or more.

as this comes together, I'll check the schedule...maybe I can visit my Mom.

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member