Drive Like A Girl: Recovery Weekend

Yarn Cruiser

Rising Sun Member
I have a really big THANK YOU to @jps8460 @MonPetiteShoe and @DomOfTheDead. These amazing dudes spent all weekend with us, during farhers day weekend! They had an amazing itinerary for both days, answered lots of questions, ran up and down the line to help spot, encourage and lead us to success.

Huge huge thanks to the ladies who came out to participate, @Canonyero @stusic Neecee @MeatPopsicle @that'swhatshesaid @MonPetiteShoe Sara, old friends from our bike club days Melissa (jeep) and Mike and their extended family Michelle (Bronco). Extra big thank you to spouses who joined and encouraged their significant others to spend this weekend with us.

For some of the ladies this was their first DLAG event and first time off roading! They did GREAT! It takes a lot of courage to show up to something where you don't know a lot of people or are doing something knew and challenging. They didn't just do great, everyone exceeded! I am proud of every single lady who came out this weekend. We also had a ton of fun!

Day 1 was recevory training. Truthfully I am still processing everything. We covered the 6 steps of a successful recevory from evaluation to executing the plan. We practiced single line pull, truck to truck pull and had time to practice a double line pull with a pulley block back to the truck. Jackson took his time with Neecee in her 70 series to work with her steele line and it's unique differences for safe handling. One of the best things about Jackson, he listens and he observes. I never felt like I couldn't ask him a question. He took the time to address the differences between each drivers truck and spent time with them 1 on 1 to learn it's unique in's and out's in each scenario. He also practiced that in a safe enviroment so they could feel what it was like before it happened on trail. I personally feel 10x more confident and that I can do a basic truck to truck extraction, single line pull and a basic double line pull. Maybe with supervision the first couple times in the wild 😉.

Day 2 Noobs with Boobs!
This was the second year doing this with DLAG and my third noobs run. My favorite thing with this, is watching the confidence grow in each driver. While we have a difficulty rating systems for trails, difficulty is still subjective to the person experiencing it. I can think a trail is easy but for a different driver it is not. That is OKAY! Everyone has to learn and the goal here is to create an environment where you can safely work through those challenges and feelings in a safe supportive enviroment. I LOVE watching these women come together to support eachother when they are nervous, taking the extra steps to help one another out when working through challenges. To me, half of off roading is mental. Keeping that annoying nagative voice out of my head. These women came through for eachother all day long. Watching them succeed is truly the chefs kiss.

Jackson again took time to make sure our new Bronco driver knew her truck and what all the buttons do before we made it out on trail. Watching her work through the trail and succeed was a true a highlight. He had us walk obstacles, demonstrated what the truck would do, tire placement and throttle control. He put us in postisons that were uncomfortable in a very vanilla environment to be prepared for that feeling later on other trails. As @Canonyero said "being put in an off camber scenario on trail helped out on another trail." Where she knew that postison was safe and she just needed to work through it! Neecee also had some impressive wheel lift coming down a drop off (sadly no pictures) she excuted it perfectly, driving out of it. I had to keep reminding myself she drives a right hand truck and how different that has to feel, plus a shorter wheel base.

Special shout out to some old and dear friends of Dom and I, Melissa and Mike. We ran into them at dinner unexpectedly as we caught up, we talked about off roading. How she didn't feel as comfortable driving. I was super excited when they confirmed they would be coming this weekend! I was behind them on trail a lot and able to catch peeks of her smiling, laughing and pumping her fist out of the window just made me smile and it felt to good. Then to watch her go back and try harder things on the playground!

Can't wait to hit the trails with these awesome ladies!!!

Dom and others will post up with pictures 🙂 :risingsun

jps8460

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Great work putting everything together @Yarn Cruiser ! And thanks to @MonPetiteShoe and @DomOfTheDead for the help!!

It was great getting to meet you all. And it was very cool to see some familiar faces!

Now get out there and go 4wheelin 😃

that'swhatshesaid

Rising Sun Member
It was an amazing weekend! World Class instruction and support! Can't say enough how this is desired and needed in our club/community. Thanks @Yarn Cruiser for being the one who steps up and makes this happen. We can all learn and grow no matter what stage we're in and I particularly love that I could take risks and feel comfortable doing so. #DLAG #NoobsWithBoobs ;)

that'swhatshesaid

Rising Sun Member
My favorite picture I took this weekend.
IMG_9351.jpeg

jps8460

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee

DomOfTheDead

Event Coordinator
We had such an awesome weekend, thanks to everyone involved. I feel very fortunate to participate in this, such valuable knowledge for beginner and advanced skill sets alike.

day 1 recovery skills morning education
20240615_084139.jpg
day 1 SLP and DLP winching
DSC_0823.JPG

DSC_0825.JPG
DSC_0830.JPG
DSC_0831.JPG
DSC_0838.JPG

Day 1 vehicle to vehicle momentum extraction
DSC_0840.JPG
DSC_0848.JPG

DomOfTheDead