Double Triple Bypass Report

subzali

Hard Core 4+
He he, you guys are suckas who didn't come on this. Schofield, Lead King Basin, Crystal, Paradise Basin. Unbelievable scenery, more great wheeling, perfect weather, some tricky stuff, pretty fast pace, but all in all just great fun! Again my camera can't give up its pics to my computer, so here's a map and profile again:

Lineup:
1 40 (me)
1 70 (Wes)
1 80 (Kevin (sno bored))
1 100 (lexusBen)

Attachments

• DTBP map and profile.jpg
    DTBP map and profile.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 512

wesintl

RS Moderator
Here is some info on the Crystal Mill, how it worked and what it did.

"Though some misinformed people have dubbed it the “Dead Horse Mill”, that name is erroneous and was never historically used. Historically speaking, the Mill was known as the Sheep Mountain Power House, and was located on the Lost Horse Millsite. Today it is known as “The Crystal Mill”.

The mill, constructed in 1893, harnessed the river adjacent to the mill to power the air compressor housed inside. Early engineers had built a dam across the river, which funneled water down the vertical penstock (the ladder-like structure) onto a horizontal wheel, which drove an axle in the penstock. The penstock powered the air compressor. In turn, the enormous compressor ran drills in the nearby Sheep Mountain and Bear Mountain mines. The drills were used to bore holes in the mine walls for the placement of dynamite. Once the dynamite was detonated, the miners removed the ore.

The mill closed its operations in 1917. Continuing efforts to preserve it have been aided by Gunnison and Aspen Historical Societies, residents of Crystal and Marble, and interested individuals caught by the spectacle of the old Mill."

http://www.marblecolorado.net/crystalmill.html

http://www.ghosttowngallery.com/htme/crystal.htm

I'll post my pics tonight.

Three Wheel Ben

Trail Ready
This was as good as Saturday, if not better. Scenery was spectacular. :eek:

Thanks to the other 3 that went, I think we were well rewarded. :cheers:

And the CB burritos were the perfect end to a two day trip.

Pics are in the gallery.

JadeRunner

Rising Sun Member
Nice run and pictures. So help me understand. The Triple by-pass was run on Sat., started by going up Italian Pass and around (good call - that's how I would have wanted to do it). Then Sunday some of you guys ran the Schofield run? Now that's two great days of wheelin'.

Why do you call it a Double Triple by-pass, it you only ran Schofield and Paradise as the passes that day?

wesintl

RS Moderator
Not tecnically a pass but were counting lead king I think.

Since it was the day after were fudgin a bit but technically subzali went over kebler and mclure later and the rest of us went over cottonwood ;) Still, we liked the name on the heels of the TBP :D Besides on the TBP you don't bypass the pass, right?

sno bored

Trail Ready
Scott, I did Schofield, Paradise, Cottonwood, Trout Creek, and Hoosier Pass yesterday after doing the triple bypass the day before. What should that be called? I'll just call it a great weekend of wheeling with a great group of people. Thanks to everyone for making this trip such an awesome time. Kevin

I passed your group just outside of Marble (tan FJ40). I would have loved to join the group, but I was low on fuel. This was my second weekend driving my cruiser since I started working on it two years ago. I would like more info on you're group. Attached is some picures I took near Crystal just hours before you guys were there.

Attachments

• image0004.jpg
    image0004.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 491
  • image0003.jpg
    image0003.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 485

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
wesintl said:
Not tecnically a pass but were counting lead king I think.

Since it was the day after were fudgin a bit but technically subzali went over kebler and mclure later and the rest of us went over cottonwood ;) Still, we liked the name on the heels of the TBP :D Besides on the TBP you don't bypass the pass, right?

Technically, Itallian Creek isn't a pass either. Originally Millers did Scholfield, Pearl and Taylor and named it Triple Bypass (bipass for you Sharkbait :rolleyes: ) Great name and it stuck! I love the "Double Triple Bypass" name too!!!!

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Shark Bait said:

I deleted it but a while back I posted up about Triple Bypass and you send me an PM correcting me that it was bipass not bypass. So I was just letting you know I remember my school lesson sir! ;)

wesintl

RS Moderator
But Bipa$$ ain't in da diktionairy

I'm sure Bruce can chime in but I thought he told me that originally it was italian, pearl, taylor and that to change it up they did schofield a few times.

BTW welcome mtnsledr!! we definatly noticed you :D Your 40 looked good :thumb:

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
wesintl said:
But Bipa$$ ain't in da diktionairy

I'm sure Bruce can chime in but I thought he told me that originally it was italian, pearl, taylor and that to change it up they did schofield a few times.

BTW welcome mtnsledr!! we definatly noticed you :D Your 40 looked good :thumb:

Nope....started from Bogen Flats campground near Marble and ended at Dorchester campground.

Shark Bait

Rising Sun Member
Uncle Ben said:
I deleted it but a while back I posted up about Triple Bypass and you send me an PM correcting me that it was bipass not bypass. So I was just letting you know I remember my school lesson sir! ;)

LOL :lmao: :thumb:

BTW welcome mtnsledr!! we definatly noticed you Your 40 looked good

Thanks, is anyone in going to be in the same area again?

wesintl

RS Moderator
:cheers:

Attachments

• 120_2047.JPG
    120_2047.JPG
    67 KB · Views: 1,422
  • 120_2052.JPG
    120_2052.JPG
    73.8 KB · Views: 397
  • 120_2054.JPG
    120_2054.JPG
    72.1 KB · Views: 411
  • 119_1959.JPG
    119_1959.JPG
    75.6 KB · Views: 1,750
  • mill.jpg
    mill.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 1,102

LandBruiser

Lifted
Is that the Devils punchbowls? And anyone have pics of that big mud bog towards the top of Pearl Pass on the CB side? I heard its pretty narsty from all the rain down there lately.

wesintl

RS Moderator
dat would be the debils punch bowl :D

See the Triple bypass thread for a pic of the mud hole.

mtnsledr said:
I passed your group just outside of Marble (tan FJ40).
HA!

I was the one in Ben's 100 series waving at you. (I got a bit of a funny look in return :D)

Ben says "I never get waves from cruisers"
downside of driving a Mall Rated cruiser I guess :D

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Okay, thanks again guys for indulging me. I really loved the water pic, it was so fun:D .

Attachments

• ross on pearl.jpg
    ross on pearl.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 1,279
  • wes down trail.jpg
    wes down trail.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 317
  • wes on lead king.jpg
    wes on lead king.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 429
  • small water.jpg
    small water.jpg