Do many of you ride street?

mcgaskins

Rising Sun Member
It seems the majority here ride dirt, but I'm curious how many also ride street. I rode primarily on the dirt for several years, then primarily street up until late last summer when I sold my last Ducati Monster and bought a dirt bike. I've added one more dirt bike recently, and I'm considering moving on a really sweet deal on a Monster S2R 1000. I actually put a deposit on it and will go see it Saturday since it's way up north and I don't have time this week. Just curious how many else are getting the itch to ride on the paved roads again here soon!

60wag

Rising Sun Member
I ride street to get to dirt. If the dirt is covered with snow, street is better than not riding at all.

AimCOTaco

Cruise Moab Committee
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
I do ride some street. FZR600, old school machine. Looking forward to seeing how the new canyon highways come together over the next few years.

rover67

Rising Sun Member
Several accidents, lots of close calls, and an arrest kinda shifted my focus from street to dirt.

Maybe someday I'll get back on street. For now I'm like Bruce... Trying to control myself on street on the way to dirt where there are much fewer rules :)

Beater

Hard Core 4+
2 scooters, ducati 900ss (race prepped), bmw r65/100 hybrid, honda cl450.

whenever I can. :)

mcgaskins

Rising Sun Member
I do ride some street. FZR600, old school machine. Looking forward to seeing how the new canyon highways come together over the next few years.

I worked at a Mexican restaurant when I was 13 as a bus boy, and all the workers there were illegal so they didn't mind me working under age one bit. I used to ride my dirt bike there every now and then, and one day the manager said "have you ever ridden a street bike?". I was kinda surprised since I was obviously years away from getting my license, but I replied that I hadn't but I'd like to. He handed me the keys to his FZR600 and told me to go have fun :D Needless to say I have fond memories of that bike!

AimCOTaco

Cruise Moab Committee
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
I worked at a Mexican restaurant when I was 13 as a bus boy, and all the workers there were illegal so they didn't mind me working under age one bit. I used to ride my dirt bike there every now and then, and one day the manager said "have you ever ridden a street bike?". I was kinda surprised since I was obviously years away from getting my license, but I replied that I hadn't but I'd like to. He handed me the keys to his FZR600 and told me to go have fun :D Needless to say I have fond memories of that bike!

Not a bad deal! It was Mexicans that gave me an early start as well. I was on vacation in mexico, must have been about 11 years old at the time, and there was a YSR-50 for sale at a used lot. My stepfather (a crazy Mexican) took it off the lot and around the corner for a "test drive". So my first street riding was helmet-less, underage, in a foreign country, on cobble stones... and I was hooked!!! (later when I was 14 he bought a Katana 600 so I was ridding underage, with a helmet, in this country)

mcgaskins

Rising Sun Member
Not a bad deal! It was Mexicans that gave me an early start as well. I was on vacation in mexico, must have been about 11 years old at the time, and there was a YSR-50 for sale at a used lot. My stepfather (a crazy Mexican) took it off the lot and around the corner for a "test drive". So my first street riding was helmet-less, underage, in a foreign country, on cobble stones... and I was hooked!!! (later when I was 14 he bought a Katana 600 so I was ridding underage, with a helmet, in this country)

:lmao: Love it! Those YSRs are actually pretty sweet little bikes in their own right as well.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
It only took one gravel-induced lay-down slide under a guard rail to convince me that I probably shouldn't be on a street bike anymore. I feel much safer on the dirt, away from cars, wearing lots of pads, and with most crashes in 1st gear. :moto:

mcgaskins

Rising Sun Member
^^ I'm not going to lie the best part about crashing in the dirt is there aren't any cars around to run you over! Well unless your buddies are chasing you in trophy trucks or something :D

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
We got all official-like endorsements and rewarded our underemployment by draining the savings on a two KLR650s. Just a couple of snaps, we ran up to Carter Lake and back this evening.

Attachments

• IMG_0742_thumb.jpg
    IMG_0742_thumb.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 196
  • IMG_0744_thumb.jpg
    IMG_0744_thumb.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 189

60wag

Rising Sun Member
Alright! Those bikes look too shiny to drop though. Let me know if you are planning any adventures in the Boulder direction. Switzerland trail is a popular not-too-difficult route to play on.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
The procurement of a frame and ammo cans for panniers is already underway... She is more brave than me, she did the dual sport kick-over test in the drive way but she's got nerf bars and bark busters so it's not really fair. I'll just wait for an actual dump to crack plastic.

mcgaskins

Rising Sun Member
The procurement of a frame and ammo cans for panniers is already underway... She is more brave than me, she did the dual sport kick-over test in the drive way but she's got nerf bars and bark busters so it's not really fair. I'll just wait for an actual dump to crack plastic.

That hurts to watch no matter what the bike is! I like the KLRs but isn't the 650 extremely tall? I'm a shorter guy so I tend to shy away from the huge dual sports thought I've ridden a BMW GS650 comfortably.

rover67

Rising Sun Member
sweet Dave!

Planning a big trip somewhere?

Beater

Hard Core 4+
added to the herd:

cagiva gran canyon. could possibly be the best "all around" moto I've ever ridden.

Attachments

• WP_20140603_001.jpg
    WP_20140603_001.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 176

mcgaskins

Rising Sun Member
Had a great ride this morning 120 miles of canyons and only put a foot on the ground 3x from my place all the way around including gas and pee stops!

Attachments

• 796.jpg
    796.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 160