• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

Dizzy questions

FJBen

Currently have a stock 77 setup ignition/dizzy. Just got an engine from an 84 FJ60 and was wondering the benefits of the dizzy over mine.

Fully electronic? I'm assuming 77 is semi?

Better parts availability?

What other benefits?

subzali

Hard Core 4+
No points ;)

As I understand it yes the '77 is semi-electronic, and '78 and up are fully electronic.

Sealed, the one the PO put on mine is routed to the glovebox and the aircleaner, so the vacuum from the aircleaner pulls dry air from the glovebox through the dizzy cap. I dunno it runs good :D

Last edited:

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
Indeed, the 84 is a much better unit. Fully electronic, completely waterproof, wonder bearings. Note that it will have two different vacuum advances, a big one for your main advance, and a lesser one for HAC. Note also, that due to it's large diameter, you will need to use the side cover from the FJ60 2F, it has an indent in it to clear the distributor cap. Oh, one last thing - since it's fully electronic you will need to use the ignitor from the 60.

FJBen

Rzeppa said:
Indeed, the 84 is a much better unit. Fully electronic, completely waterproof, wonder bearings. Note that it will have two different vacuum advances, a big one for your main advance, and a lesser one for HAC. Note also, that due to it's large diameter, you will need to use the side cover from the FJ60 2F, it has an indent in it to clear the distributor cap. Oh, one last thing - since it's fully electronic you will need to use the ignitor from the 60.

I used to have one on the old engine in my pig, but didn't change that when I swapped it. I thought I read to could "massage" that side cover to make it fit without having to take that side cover off.

I do have the coil/ingnitor setup for it as well.

I will also be swapping to TBI, I wonder where the heck the advance vaccuum will now plug into?

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
I'd be worried about causing an oil leak from the side cover if it were "massaged". Those things leak often enough when they're not dented. Note that the fully electronic distributor from a 1978 has a smaller diameter and clears the older side cover easily. It is vented like the later ones, but I'm not sure it has the o-ring seal at the cap.

Word of warning about the vent setup: You MUST use the factory check valve in the vent line between the cap and the air cleaner housing, otherwise you can have an exploding cap. I've actually seen this happen when the check valve was not used.

Most FI systems I am familiar with have electronically controlled spark advance. If you do go to FI you may have to consider something like the FJ62/FJ80 distributor used with the 3FE. Of course then you'd need a crank angle sensor too.

FJBen

True, I hate that side cover....finally got it to stop leaking. I have heard some people fitting without mods...doubt I'll be that lucky. But I do have the donor side cover, just not wanting to take that bastard off again.

The FI setup I"ll be doing is TBI/megasquirt. It uses the 4.3L tbi setup. I got to drive it before it was taken off. It's not controlling any of the timing, just fuel delivery so that will definitely be simpler. I found out where the advance hooks up and that should be pretty easy.

FJBen

Ok, it is monday...so I just want to double check...here is a pic of my dizzy, My engine is a 78, so wondering if you can tell from the pic what year it is?

Attachments

• 60TK0047.jpg
    60TK0047.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 238

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
Yes, that looks just like the one in my 78.

I've been toying with the idea of the megasquirt/4.3 TBI conversion on an F - my 71, so I'm semi-familiar with some of the issues. I seem to recall the megasquirt doesn't control spark, only fuel, so you still have to figure out the ignition control.

The electronic Toyota distributors which are designed for carbs want to see "ported" vacuum, which is a vacuum port located just above the primary throttle plate. At idle, there's almost no vacuum so no vacuum advance. As soon as you start to open the throttle it sees full manifold vacuum so you get a lot of advance right when you need it. Gives very nice response right off idle. You don't want manifold vacuum because that would be way too much advance at idle and you'd have to back way off the static advance to where there wouldn't be enough advance during acceleration.

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
Okay, I just checked and they have a new one, a "Mega-squirt II", which will do spark control. It can be used with the VR signal that the Toyota Distributor provides. Cool.

FJBen

yeah, I just have the MS1 version so I'm hoping for a fairly easy install... :p

I have another question for ya since I'm buggin the crap out of ya....

I have access to an 84 alternator as well. I'm going to use the brackets from that as well because I'll be using the a/c compressor from it...

I know the 60 series are internally regulated, and the earlier LC alternators are not. What all is involved in switching out that voltage regulator?? And don't those alternators put out more juice?

thanks again...

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
Disconnect the factory regulator from under the brake booster and rewire to the internally regulated 84. According to the info on my web site, there were 3 different alternators used on 60s; it appears that the 27020-61071-84 is 55 amp, and the others are the same 40 amps that all the earlier ones put out.

FJBen

Very cool, feels like I'm talkin' tech with Yoda!!!! thanks man!