Did I buy a crap antenna?

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Bought the Diamond NR770HNMO Black antenna from HRO. Now, back at the computer, I see some poor reviews on eham.

Should I have purchased a Comet?

I also bought this one: Comet B-10NMO which gets great reviews on eham. Maybe I should return the big Diamond and just run the little 12" Comet.

Shark Bait

Rising Sun Member
I think mine's been fine, but it may be too early to tell yet. It's interesting, the NR770HNMO seems to either be "great" or "poor". The B-10NMO only has 6 reviews vs 14 for the NR770HNMO. Maybe someone else has more of a technical take on things.

Seldom Seen

Hard Core 4+
If you are having 2nd thoughts, return it b/4 you use it to avoid hassles. Seems the Comets get better over all reviews than the Diamonds. When I was shopping it appeared the Comet's fold over hinge looked more robust than the Diamond. I ended up going with the Larson 2/70 w/o the fold over. My line of thinking is the Larson whip would be cheaper to replace than the comet hinge if any thing ever broke. Plus the fact the 'runner is now the main mode of transport and I don't want ANY antennas on it when parked outside of work (making it a target for break in) thus negating the need for a fold over.

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
The guy at HRO said he liked the Larson antennas best. I bought the Diamond because of the fold-over. But since I also bought a shorty 12" antenna as well, I question whether I need the fold-over on the longer antenna.

I'm using the same mount as Shark Bait. If I mount a ~38" antenna toward the top of my 80 hatch, I bet I won't hit the roof of gas stations or the car port roof at the Sonic. So maybe I should just skip the foldover?

Seldom Seen

Hard Core 4+
You would have to size it up to fit you needs. In my case it's either on or off and no need for a 3rd (fold over) option. A mag mount would work for me IF all the available roof real estate wasn't taken up by the rack.

In your case if the shorty works around town, doesn't hit anything and you can get in and out of your garage, than I'd say skip the fold over and get a Larson.

Not to muddy things up too much, but here is a 3rd option. If the shorty performs well on 2 & 70, skip the longer dual band all together and get an ant optimized for 2meter for backcountry use. Something like a 5/8 wave Larson MNO150. Dual band antennas are always going to be a compromise so having a dedicated 2meter for out in the bush, where you may need to reach way out and touch some one, might come in handy.

Groucho

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Get a devoted 2M Antenna from Larsen

Brian suggests what you need. The Larsen antennas are great b/c the whip is easily removed with 2 setscrews. You don't need dual band right now(or much ever) for what you are doing.

Go back and get the NMO 150-B.

treerootCO

Rising Sun Member
Sorry for the hijack but what was that CB antenna you have on your 80 Matt? I am going to get that one for the GMC before Moab

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Sorry for the hijack but what was that CB antenna you have on your 80 Matt? I am going to get that one for the GMC before Moab

Here's what it says:
TRAM
26.5-30 MHz

It has an NMO mount. I got it at:
Radio Service Center
918 South Sheridan Boulevard
Denver, CO 80226
(303) 922-8107

He tuned both my CBs as well, which probably accounts for some of the CB radio goodness. I yanked the CB out of my 40 in his parking lot and left it there for a few hours. Made a world of difference.

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Brian suggests what you need. The Larsen antennas are great b/c the whip is easily removed with 2 setscrews. You don't need dual band right now(or much ever) for what you are doing.

Go back and get the NMO 150-B.

'Tis done. I got the Larsen 150 in 5/8 wavelength. The eham.com rating for this antenna is awesome.

Thanks, Brian and Nathaniel!