• RS MAY CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: Our monthly RS meeting on Wed. May 1st will be held at the Rooney Sports Complex. Details and directions are here. Early start time: 7:00 pm. to take advantage of daylight. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.
    If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

Dean's 40 Comes to Live in the Mountains!

DanS

Rising Sun Member
It's not been a real well kept secret, but if anyone remembers this:

Joseph:

Without talking to @SaintAgatha yet, if nobody in the club who was tighter with Dean steps up, I will say that I’d do a lot to ensure Dean’s 40 stays in the club family. No idea what its current state or approximate value is, but I’d figure something out.

Maybe sell a 1HZ or two, H55f, a coveted split case PTO gearbox—something. Dean’s truck needs to stay here, and not end up with a flipper. Dean and I weren’t BFFs or anything, but he and I probably spent a total of 30 hours over the years just cleaning up shot up TVs at the bottom of Argentine Pass back when shooting was still allowed there.

There were folks closer to Dean who may be interested, and I’d definitely defer to them. But I’m just saying, before the truck moves toward auction, I’ll bet something can be worked out. And if anyone closer to Dean is interested, but worried about storage for a bit—we can keep it at our place in Dumont.

Dean was a great guy, and “disposing” of his cruiser is a pretty solemn responsibility. I can’t imagine the mess I’m going to leave when I pass.

Dan

Well, it happened. After checking out @L43dean 40, and getting all of our pennies into one pile, we were able to make Natalie is decent offer on Dean's 1968 FJ40, and we have added this truck to our stable and will make sure it gets the love and care Dean would have given it. I know most of the trucks of this vintage have had disc brakes, power steering, and a 4 speed transmission added to them. But not this one. And, in our hands (now the 3rd owners) it never will. It will spend the rest of our days in the Mountains west of Idaho Springs living it's best cruiser life, carrying not necessarily 7 adults and their gear in foam seat comfort, but getting low range exercised every time it hits the road, and getting to show off the grunt Toyota advertised.

We've got newer 40 series cruisers to play with that have all that good stuff, but what makes this truck so special is that it's simply as original as they come--and mechanically it is absolutely perfect. Everything works, properly. Transfer case? Shifts like butter. 3-on-the-tree? Shifts so smooth. The F? Starts up super easy, runs so smooth. Is there a bunch of rust in the body? Yep. I'll deal with that one of these days. But for now, we are going to tool around Clear Creek County, and probably never get above 45mph in the truck, because it's absolutely beautiful for that.

As many of you know, Dean used the forum name @L43dean for years, so we figured it was only right to pay tribute to Dean Baranski as best we could (aside from keeping the cruiser in the family, and keeping it original). It took a LOT of tries to find a license plate the state would accept, but we finally got one.

fa7ec5ca-c380-446d-9ee4-c31ce854cb52.jpeg

We were also able to connect Natalie with a buyer for the German woodworking bench (my mother), and we just put one of the tool boxes into our garage. So if you see L43DB driving around Idaho Springs or Georgetown, you know it's us, and yes, that's Dean's old 40. Your eyes aren't deceiving you.

Today, in fact, @SaintAgatha was up learning how to double clutch the 3-on-the-tree and generally getting to cruise around in the cutest 40 I know of. We are certainly planning on the 40's only run in it, and the Ramsey winch will go back on one of these days. It's actually been interesting because it came with the sales slip from December of 1967, and CDan and I have chatted a good bit about some of the dealer installed options, and that's all pretty fascinating stuff to me.

28ad0163-bfe7-4496-b996-72176ae9f129.jpeg

So, anyone want to buy a 1HZ block? Or a rusty FJ60? Or a copper FJ60 radiator? Gotta make room, physically, and financially for this little cutie!

Dan & Nancy

subzali

Hard Core 4+
So many likes. Thank you for sharing

DanS

Rising Sun Member
And just because….

I took a little video of Nancy driving today. By somemiracle, I got a video of her first clean double clutch shift. No idea she even wanted to shift then.

It’s the small things. Once she masters the up shift, we will work on the downshifts.

Dan

Crash

Rising Sun Member
Great job, on the downshift and on your story presentation. From the new license plate to the location the truck will now reside in for a long time, this is a wonderful continuation of a cool Cruiser's life. So happy for the three of you and I look forward to seeing L43DN in the wild!

DanS

Rising Sun Member
@DanS @SaintAgatha Huge congrats! Love the plate too.

When my 69 40 with 3-on-the-tree gets out here to Colorado and putzing around I might need some double clutch lessons too. Let me know how much you charge 🤣
Just a bunch of laughs. That’s the price.

🤣🤣

Dan

DanS

Rising Sun Member
So f****** stoked You guys got his rig and that you're gonna keep it up and running.
We’re going to keep it as it is: A survivor. Even when it’s time to do the rust repair in the tub, I don’t intend to remove the tub, and keep it running the whole time.

The biggest challenge, will be repainting the repairs so that they pretty quickly match the patina of the rest of the truck. Dad (who is pretty good at matching finishes) says that won’t be hard. But I’ve only ever fully repainted, or left it be.

It’s hard to overstate just how perfect Dean kept it mechanically. We’ve got to keep it that way, above all else. I mean, he kept a Toyota set of points in the tool roll, WITH a point file, shim, and a plug gapper. He also kept a brake spoon in the truck, which speaks to all the little adjustments that he made all the time. I remember him adjusting the points at the trailhead for Argentine Pass around 2011 I think. Now I understand better just how much tinkering he did to make this one run like a rip!

Dan

SaintAgatha

Rising Sun Member
@DanS @SaintAgatha Huge congrats! Love the plate too.

When my 69 40 with 3-on-the-tree gets out here to Colorado and putzing around I might need some double clutch lessons too. Let me know how much you charge 🤣
If you want to know how to have no clue what gear you're in, or how to panic when you stall going up a steep hill, or how to time every.single.shift extremely poorly, I am your woman. 🤣

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
This is AWESOME!

SaintAgatha

Rising Sun Member
Good thing the ‘68 is only a three speed! 😜 You’ll be driving it like a champ in no time.
I don't know... Why do the advertisements say nine forward and three reverse gear combinations? I can only find six forward and two reverse?

subzali

Hard Core 4+
2H
4H
4L

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
I don't know... Why do the advertisements say nine forward and three reverse gear combinations? I can only find six forward and two reverse?
Just wait till you see a mini truck with dual cases. 25 forward 5 reverse! :oops:

FJCDan

Rising Sun Member
Way to go Dan, nice way to remember Dean.

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee