Cruise Moab group in Rory's latest video?

DomOfTheDead

Event Coordinator
Cruise Moab Committee
Hahaha! 2 years in a row! :LOL:

AimCOTaco

Cruise Moab Committee
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Ha, small world out there, I ran into Shawn at Napa on Saturday morning. Mentioned we had a rig flopped at Behind the Rocks but sounded like we had it handled.

Anybody have any details or pics on that roll from Behind the Rocks Saturday?

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Ha, small world out there, I ran into Shawn at Napa on Saturday morning. Mentioned we had a rig flopped at Behind the Rocks but sounded like we had it handled.

Anybody have any details or pics on that roll from Behind the Rocks Saturday?
It's on IG.... Cruisin 2 camp and Solvefunction

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
Nice video

Having driven and winched people up that obstacle, what's the "teaching moment" for the winching (1:10 to 2:00)?

Safety: People in the danger zone if the winch line failed. Both above and below.
Direction of pull: "fleet angle" is the angle the line is making out of the fairlead. Pull in as straight direction as possible. Unless you are trying to go sideways. Pulley "redirect" was the right thing to do. (then it was easy!)
Vehicle attachment: Winch line was on the far recovery point of the FJ Cruiser which would magnify the effect of the pull trying to flip the FJ onto its side (though really without redirect that pull was doomed.
PPE: wear gloves
Technique: That FJ does not look aired down enough.

What I learned: New quote: "Sometimes its more fun to watch than to have an opinion." :cool:

Last edited:

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
I led that trail in 2003 in my HZJ75 and it had rained and that rock was slick as you know what. I was the only one to make it up under my own power and had to winch every one of my group up that rock. There was more sand at the top and my rig actually got dragged a bit pulling people up.