• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

Cruise Moab 2014 Trail Leaders and Gunners

MountainGoat

Club Treasurer
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
I've got it marked on my calendar that the "Trail Leaders" Run is 4/3-4/6/14. Is this correct or did my digital assistant fritz out again?

My calendar reads the same as yours Travis. I think I got it at the last CM Committee meeting. :D

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
Jeff, Not sure I can make MOAB because of work. Wont know for a while so maybe you should find someone else for Fins

Rock Dog

Hard Core 4+
I am available for second leader on Arches if needed thurs..
I am available to lead Metal Masher Friday, or 7 mile...
or Gun for Joe on BTR...

Won't be there Sat...

I still need to get registered this week, but I'm willing to lead Golden Spike on Thursday and Fins and Things on Friday if you need a leader.

Edit: I didn't see that Friday's Fins run is sponsored by Larry H Miller Toyota so nevermind on that one. I'm still willing to lead GS on Thursday.

Last edited:

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
I still need to get registered this week, but I'm willing to lead Golden Spike on Thursday and Fins and Things on Friday if you need a leader.

Edit: I didn't see that Friday's Fins run is sponsored by Larry H Miller Toyota so nevermind on that one. I'm still willing to lead GS on Thursday.

Hi Adam, I am going to go ahead and pencil you in for Spike on Thursday. Thanks!

Hi Adam, I am going to go ahead and pencil you in for Spike on Thursday. Thanks!

Sounds good. I'll plan on it. I'll be sending in my registration at the end of this week. Hopefully you can get me on the other trails I'm hoping for. :)

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
Jeff, you have an assignment for me yet?

Ryan Davis -K6KRU
Wasatch Cruisers

Hi Ryan, no I don't yet. When I updated the first post in this thread either yesterday or the day before I basically said i was going to hold off adding any more until we see which trails fill enough to run. I went ahead and took Adam for Spike because I am 99% sure we'll run it both Thursday and Saturday. But different years are different as far as which trails are popular. Last year I only had 2 sign up for Hell's Revenge on Friday, which is really odd because that trail is usually really popular. So I moved those two guys around so they got to do Hell's, just on a different day, and we didn't do Hell's at all on that day. I know you were talking about doing Moab Rim, but I don't know which days we're going to run it this year. The last several years we've only had enough interest in that trail to run it one or two days.

One good thing is that it looks like we're going to have the luxury of more leaders this year than the past several years, so we may be able to run more total trails with fewer rigs on each trail, which is always nice.

But we're only about 2/3 full right now so I really haven't started sorting things down yet. It makes for less overall work if the event is totally full or at least as full as possible before we start on trail assignments. There might be a few obvious ones that stand out, for example if I see we've got 12 rigs on Moab Rim on Saturday already, and I know you've already offered to lead it, that will be easy to figure out.

My two cents......I would schedule Moab Rim for Saturday and have Ryan lead it. At the very minimum I know of 4 trucks already planning on running it that day. Ryan, Jason Call, Myself, and Bob Holliday. I'm fairly certain that others will sign up for it, even if it's a small group.

Hey Zepp, when you get a chance could you PM me a list of who is signed up for Golden Spike on Thursday. I need to figure out a tail gunner and would like to see if I recognize any of the people on the run that could do it.

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
Safari LTD is going to attend Marv Specter's memorial on May 4th, and have decided that the logistics of Cruise Moab and going to California were just too much, so they have pulled out of Cruise Moab 2014.

While we are disappointed and will miss them very much, we certainly understand. Cruise Moab is every year. Marv's memorial is only once.

This leaves holes to fill for Sevenmile on Friday, Wipeout on Saturday, and safety inspections for the whole event since Safari was going to lead safety inspections.

Hi Jeff,
This will be the fourth time I ask to Lead a trail. I might start to take a hint and stop offering ;)

Either of these trails I would be happy to lead. They are both within the capabilities of either of my rigs I may bring.

I will be on the overnighter in the Swell and would miss Thursday but would be happy to help with Tech inspections Friday and Saturday. I'll ask Wasatch if there are any that could help with Tech as well.

I am sorry Safari won't be there but Understand.

nattybumppo

Hard Core 4+
MicahMan...please give Jeff some time. He has a TON of stuff going on right now, and I'm sure he will get you assigned to lead a trail or two soon. Your offer to lead a trail is greatly appreciated. A lack of a prompt response to your offer is not intended as any sort of slight...it just takes time to figure out these trail leader schedules, and we are way ahead of the game this year thanks to the many early and generous offers for trail leading assistance...yours included.

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
Hi Jeff,
This will be the fourth time I ask to Lead a trail. I might start to take a hint and stop offering ;)

Either of these trails I would be happy to lead. They are both within the capabilities of either of my rigs I may bring.

I will be on the overnighter in the Swell and would miss Thursday but would be happy to help with Tech inspections Friday and Saturday. I'll ask Wasatch if there are any that could help with Tech as well.

I am sorry Safari won't be there but Understand.

What Sascha said (thank you Sascha). Micah, I will most certainly take you up on your offer. Since we opened up registration I have spent considerable hours answering inquiries from registrants, and very little time analyzing the registration database to determine which trails we are going to run on which days, and thus where we need leaders and gunners. I have only yesterday provided the rosters to the overnight trail leaders. Right now is busy season for the committee.

We have missed you the last couple of meetings. We hope you've been staying abreast of new and ongoing developments via the committee section of this forum and also our internal emails.

Cheeseman

Rising Sun Member
Hey Jeff, I'll lead Seven Mile on Friday if that helps. Cuz Hugh is heading to the funeral and such. lead it a few times in the past.