Rising Sun Member
I think maybe..

I kinda dig it though.

60wag

Rising Sun Member
It'll need to be street legal.

rover67

Rising Sun Member
Yeah I was thinking about that. Might as well just find something that already has had the work to get it plated done. Good point Bruce.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Yeah already having a plate is a bonus. Putting the stuff on is NBD, and kinda fun as you can decide what kind of light to get, etc. then again, I do kind of dig that bike, and the price is right too, so maybe it's worth the pain to apply for title? It's not like you'd even want to shortcut the legal requirements, just an added hassle.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
I was under the understanding that in Colorado, plating a non-street-legal bike, once a very simple and straightforward affair, has become very difficult (unless on an older bike, say, pre-2005 or something). No? There was quite a bit of chatter about it on the bike boards.

I used to plate dirt bikes as de rigueur, but the recent rules make the KTM plated bikes that much more attractive. I will say I saw a CRF250X plated in Evergreen though, which would create some doubt in my mind. Or else the dude found a particularly and conveniently clueless clerk.

I've plated everything from a Bultaco Alpina 348, an IT175, a KDX 220, an XR650R, and even a graymarket Ducati. None were quite exactly DOT compliant (of course I made them that way doncha know... wait, what? Was that a drone??!?).

The XR650R even has winkie blinks, which turns out to be quite an advantage in Utah. Plated or no, if you got no winkies, you ain't street legal. Must be a Mormon thing.

subzali

Hard Core 4+
My 2008 was able to get plated without much hassle in 2009. I, too, have heard that the rules have become more stringent even since that time.

What is a winkie blink? I didn't think you had to have blinkers in Utah...

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Yeah you do. http://static.stateparks.utah.gov/docs/Street_Legal_ATV_Requirements.pdf
I know it says 'ATVs' but it applies to MCs as if they were ATVs. That's where the Utah State Parks gal sent me. Like Colorado, money goes to a good cause.
Amber or red electric turn signals, one on each side of the front and rear. Red turn signals are only allowed to be on the rear.

Need a Utah OHV sticker too, otherwise. License plate or not. Winkies and license plate, you are golden. Although I suppose an fussy peace ossifer could give you grief for other noncompliant things, such as, non-illuminated speedo or tires or something. But there are some really good DOT rubber options out there, so Thou art without excuse O man...

This one would get me:
A tail lamp or other lamp constructed and placed to illuminate the registration plate with a white light.
I guess I need to visit superbrightleds.com for a little white light... or... buy a sticker.

farnhamstj

Hard Core 4+
I purchased one of these for Dee. Yamaha xt225. Street legal from the factory. Weld on some bigger pegs and you're good to go. Really low 1st gear for ease of off-road use, will do 60 mph no problem. I think there are better deals out there but...
http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/2944051202.html

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
OK, who are you and what did you do with Farnham??!?

Farnham could not have posted that. It's air-cooled. :lmao:

Seriously though, my son went to an XR100 from a PW80, and it treated him well, then went to a TTR250 that was not unlike the XT series. The TTR was definitely an under-sung motorcycle, simple, air cooled, zero maintenance. He rode the wheels off it and became a rather good rider. It did nothing evil and everything he asked of it.

A similar bike was the CRF230 Honda I bought for my other son. Really, it was an XR200 with an ebutton, fancy graphics and plastic, and 30 more cc. Bombproof.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Bill when I was searching, I ended up ruling out CRF's because of what appeared to be a recurring need to readjust the valves, even more than KTM. Has that been your experience with CRF's?

subzali

Hard Core 4+
KLX :)

EDIT: Why is vbulletin autocorrecting my KLX to Klx? Ok, now that I've added more wording it doesn't autocorrect me. Freakin' technology.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Bill when I was searching, I ended up ruling out CRF's because of what appeared to be a recurring need to readjust the valves, even more than KTM. Has that been your experience with CRF's?
The CRF230 is a CRF in name only. It's an XR200 in wolf's clothing. Whole different technology. Yeah from what I hear the true CRF line is high maintenance. But KTM is not exactly XR-level maintenance either! :lmao:

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
KLX :)

EDIT: Why is vbulletin autocorrecting my KLX to Klx? Ok, now that I've added more wording it doesn't autocorrect me. Freakin' technology.

At least it isn't Microsoft level of 'helpfulness'... :gaah:

I had a KLX 300 and it was an excellent woods bike. With a new pumper carb, ditching the CV, it rocked. Prior to that it was merely pleasant if sedentary. Woke it right up. Hitchcock Industries (Englewood) worked wonders on the forks too. That front end STUCK in place in corners, etc.

I was disappointed they didn't make the street legal KLX250 a 300. Headscratcher. :confused:

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Ok so I could get this guy's kit for $250, then get the mount from Scotts for another $150... then most likely piece together something that would work? or just get the complete kit from Scotts for $450 and know for sure. :rolleyes: