Colorado Outdoor Recreation & Economy Act

Stuckinthe80s

Rising Sun Member
Staff member
I got an email yesterday. I love the automatically generated stuff. I know he doesn't have time to individually write back to everyone who writes him but it would be nice to at least receive a letter responding a little more appropriately than this one...

Dear Mr. Jones,

Thank you for contacting me to share your concerns about issues that we face as a nation. I appreciate your patience in awaiting my reply. I have taken the liberty of sharing your letter with my policy staff so they can have the benefit of your thoughts and concerns.

My office has heard serious concerns regarding the tone , actions, and rhetoric of President Trump. His words portraying a country divided by fear and hatred are the opposite of our country’s values. I have not hesitated to speak up on a range of issues -- from climate change to health care to gun violence -- when I disagree with him or believe his actions run contrary to the interests of Colorado. Recently, I spoke on the Senate floor against his unconstitutional emergency declaration that goes against the will of Congress. I also spoke out strongly against the unnecessary and destructive thirty-five day shutdown.

Separately, I have called on the Attorney General to resign given his misleading letter and statements regarding the Mueller report. The Attorney General should work to defend the rights and liberties of all Americans—not just protect the President.

While there is broad bipartisan agreement that our immigration system is unworkable in its current form, the President’s proposed medieval wall is not the solution. Instead, we should prioritize bipartisan immigration reform, like the Gang of Eight legislation I helped design in 2013. That legislation earned 68 votes in the Senate; would have provided $46 billion in funding for border security; modernized our visa system for legal immigrants; and given 11 million undocumented immigrants a path to earn American citizenship. In December 2017, I again worked on a bipartisan basis, this time to craft a permanent solution to protect Dreamers – young people who were brought to America as children and know no other country – while also providing border security funding and addressing the areas of immigration policy that President Trump had asked Congress to fix. Unfortunately, after signaling he would support such an agreement, the President again moved the goalposts and rejected that bipartisan solution.

Despite Washington’s dysfunction, I have continued to forge bipartisan consensus and fight for Colorado’s priorities. On March 12, the Natural Resources Management Act was signed into law. I secured numerous Colorado priorities , including the permanent reauthorization of the Land and Water Conservation Fund (LWCF). The LWCF protects parks, rivers, forests, and public lands in every county in Colorado. In January, I also introduced the Colorado Outdoor Recreation and Economy (CORE) Act with Rep. Joe Neguse. The bill protects approximately 400,000 acres of public land in Colorado, establishing new wilderness areas and safeguarding existing outdoor recreation opportunities to boost the economy for future generations. Access to Colorado’s open spaces is critical to our thriving outdoor recreation economy.

I also recently reintroduced the American Family Act . The bill would cut taxes for families with children by expanding the Child Tax Credit and making it fully refundable. It would do so by creating a new $300 per month, or $3,600 per year, tax credit for children under six and give a $250 per month, or $3,000 per year, tax credit to children under 17. A Columbia University study found this bill would cut child poverty by 38 percent and effectively eliminate extreme child poverty in America. It would also help families across the country defray the substantial, and rising, costs of raising a child.

We must commit ourselves to the hard work it will take to repair our politics and our national discourse. In Colorado, we know that disagreement does not require disrespect. Now more than ever, we need to build a politics grounded in pluralism, respect for our constitutional system, and a commitment to be better citizens.

I value the input of fellow Coloradans in considering the wide variety of important issues and legislative initiatives that come before the Senate. I hope you will continue to inform me of your thoughts and concerns.

For more information about my priorities as a U.S. Senator, I invite you to visit my website at http://bennet.senate.gov/. Again, thank you for contacting me.

Sincerely,

mail

Michael F. Bennet
United States Senator

Mendocino

RS Chapter Eternal
Gone But
Not Forgotten
"Mr. Jones,

The content of and any stated opinion within your letter was ignored in the order in which it was received.

Thank you for your continued support.

Regards,
Sen. Bennet."
I received the same email yesterday and rolled my eyes.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
This has come back to life as it passed out of the U.S. House. Not sure it'll get any attention and just sail into law. Although Trump has made some noise about a veto, which is interesting.

SteveH

Hard Core 4+
CORE act update - 2 years later...

SteveH

Hard Core 4+
Why bother using Congress to get what you want?

Leading Colorado Democrats on Thursday asked President Joe Biden to use his executive powers to protect vast swaths of public lands in the state by using the Antiquities Act to designate Camp Hale and a surrounding mountain range, the World War II-era training site that spawned the state's ski industry, as a national historic monument, among other proposed actions.

In a letter released Friday morning, U.S. Sen. Michael Bennet and John Hickenlooper, Gov. Jared Polis and U.S. Rep. Joe Neguse urge Biden to invoke the 1906 law and to enact other administrative protections for many of the iconic landscapes included in the Colorado Outdoor Recreation Economy Act, the sweeping public lands bill known as the CORE Act, which would protect more than 400,000 acres across the state.

J1000

Rising Sun Member
I find it a little weird the political land bill is named the CORE Act and the private group of 4x4 enthusiasts have already had the acronym CORE. https://www.keeptrailsopen.com/ are they purposely stepping on toes or just a coincidence?

SteveH

Hard Core 4+

Colorado's Bennet, Hickenlooper pitch Dolores River conservation bill, CORE Act in Senate hearing​

64af493a87878.image.jpg

Sen. Michael Bennet argues for two pieces of legislation to conserve public lands.
Courtesy of U.S. Senate

U.S. Sens. Michael Bennet and John Hickenlooper, both Colorado Democrats, urged their colleagues on Wednesday to adopt two sweeping public lands measures in a hearing before a key Senate
But only one of the bills appears destined to advance through the divided Congress.
“Coloradans crafted these bills on kitchen tables and at trailheads across our state," Bennet told members of the Senate Energy and Natural Resources Committee's Subcommittee on Public Lands, Forests, and Mining. "The bills were written in Colorado, not in Washington, and they reflect thoughtful, bipartisan collaboration among tribes, county commissioners, businesses, ranchers, sportsmen and conservationists."

Bennet and Hickenlooper, who sits on the subcommittee, are sponsors of the Colorado Outdoor Recreation and Economy Act, known as the CORE Act, and the Dolores River National Conservation Area and Special Management Area Act. Together, the two pieces of legislation would protect nearly half a million acres in Colorado.
With support from the three Republican members of Colorado's congressional delegation, the bill to protect more than 68,000 acres along a 70-mile stretch of the Dolores River in southwestern Colorado stands a chance of passing both the GOP-controlled House and the Democratic-controlled Senate.
First introduced by Bennet in 2019, the massive CORE Act — which would designate more than 420,000 acres as wilderness, recreation and conservation management areas — made it through the House twice when Democrats were in charge but has repeatedly stalled in the Senate, where it needs 60 votes to overcome the threat of a Republican filibuster.
Both senators described the collaborative process spanning more than a decade that yielded the bills.
Hickenlooper said the Dolores River bill is the product of 15 years of conversations between county officials, farmers, whitewater enthusiast, environmentalists, water managers and the Ute Mountain Ute Tribe.
"The broadly supported solutions in this bill offer a perfect example of Coloradans from across various interests and across parties coming together to share — the word I always used to use is topophilia, a love of place — that really helps make our state and so much of the West so beautiful," Hickenlooper said.

Bennet made a similar point about the genesis of the CORE Act.

"County commissioners across the political spectrum, outfitters, ranchers, hunters and anglers and local businesses all came together to hammer out a compromise and find the best way forward to protect iconic places like the Thompson Divide and the San Juan Mountains," Bennet said.

But only the Dolores River bill has Republican sponsors. U.S. Rep. Lauren Boebert, a member of the House Natural Resources Committee, introduced an identical version in the bill in that chamber earlier this year, with U.S. Reps. Doug Lamborn of Colorado Springs and Ken Buck of Windsor signed on as co-sponsors.

Boebert called the legislation "the gold standard for public lands bills," noting that it preserves traditional uses of the land, including grazing, motorized access and uranium mining.

"So many other public lands bills in Congress trample on the rights and liberties of the American people, but this legislation is good for conservation, good for private property rights, and good for local communities," Boebert said in a statement.

As written, the bill would prevent the federal government from establishing more restrictive protections for the river and its surrounding land, including potential designation as a Wild and Scenic River, which was first proposed in the 1970s.

"This bill represents a balanced, hard-fought, common-sense way forward to resolve long-standing community disagreements, protect the river for everyone, and provide long-term certainty for generations," Bennet told the subcommittee on Wednesday.

While the CORE Act counts numerous local GOP officials among its supporters, it has generated hostile reactions from the state's Republicans in DC, including Boebert, who called the bill "extreme" and a "land grab."

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
Hickenlooper said the Dolores River bill is the product of 15 years of conversations between county officials, farmers, whitewater enthusiast, environmentalists, water managers and the Ute Mountain Ute Tribe.

"County commissioners across the political spectrum, outfitters, ranchers, hunters and anglers and local businesses all came together to hammer out a compromise and find the best way forward to protect iconic places like the Thompson Divide and the San Juan Mountains," Bennet said.
and yet, i see a lot of interests missing during these meetings. is anyone representing joe citizen? bv/salida had issues a few years ago where the "whitewater enthusiasts" were all outfitters that were going to get the only permits and joe blow wouldn't be able to raft the river....is that this kind of issue again? are all the local businesses in it for themselves or for the people?