Clutch master/slave older cruiser 67

FJBen

Situation....67 FJ40

slave cylinder died at safeway last night, got towed by my friends sammy :crybaby: (but hey glad to have good friends! :beer:)

67 FJ40, 350 sm420

It has the original 67 clutch master/slave 40 years is pretty good part life I suppose. :D master has some leak marks on firewall...prolly time as well.

Calling Cdan I find that the slave is discontinued but master isn't...:doh: His parts book doesn't go back to 67...only 69?

So options are:

A: Buy 74 and later Clutch Master, Slave, hose and make new hardline

B: Buy 71-74 (any difference?) clutch master, Slave, hose and make new hardline

C: SOR has a full update kit for $169.00 ??? http://www.sor.com/sor/cat018.tam?xax=25411&page.ctx=cat018.tam

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
can you rebuild it? check sor for rebuild kits or stuff that will work.

is the master the old metal can style? if you get a new one, can i have it for parts?

FJBen

can you rebuild it? check sor for rebuild kits or stuff that will work.

is the master the old metal can style? if you get a new one, can i have it for parts?

I don't think it's the metal can style. I though rebuilding didn't work so well on those??? :confused: I mean that saves a whole lot of money, but does it work???

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
depends on how pitted the inside of the cylinder walls are. i've only rebuilt one slave (no issues on that one), but i've done all my wheel cylinders and a couple brake masters with no probs

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
You've been more successful than I have, Ige. But that's not surprising!

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
maybe it's because i'm building old dinosaur stuff and you're building stuff for them newfangled hotrodding trucks. ;)

treerootCO

Rising Sun Member
67 was the first year for the plastic reservoirs.

You can fit/cross over almost every year on a 40. Romer's old 40 had a metal can style on his 77. My 78 is running one from a 73, etc. Same applies for the slave.

I rebuilt my 66 clutch master last weekend by taking it apart, honing the cylinder and putting all the old junk back in. Works great and free too.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+

SteveH

Hard Core 4+
You could install a '71 master, cut the tip off the hardline, install a later-style flare fitting, and reflare the pipe. This assumes there's enough hard line to flare it and that you've had good luck making flares.

Long term: I'd put all '71-and-later style parts and make a new hardline from a piece of brake line (comes with flares at both ends) from Advance Auto. My '65 is now all '71-and-later era stuff - '71 MC, brakeline-bent-as-hard-line, new flex-line, and '78 slave cyl. Works great.

FJBen

just put a slave on it, and she works fine, we'll see when I post back up in two months that the master went out....:rolleyes: :lmao:

saving money for longs :eek: