Christmas Tree Cutting With Colorado Land Cruisers

isotel

Every Year CLC goes up the rampart range area (near woodland Park) and helps the forest service with the tree cutting events and Recovery of stuck City folk that are out cutting down trees..

This year we have 3 weekends and 6 days to cover, so the club was wondering if Rising Sun has some interested folks to help out.., the dates are in December Sat and Sunday the 1st,2nd, 8th,9th and 15th,16th.

I know the holidays can be busy for everyone.. We would like to have 6 rigs per day up there.. The forest Service would like a list names and commitments by Nov 17th.. so think about it and let me know if you are interested and the dates!

The day's events depend greatly upon how much snow they get.. Some days we end up just messing around all day, and others end up Late with Great Recovery Stories! ;) Biggest truck pulled out by an FJ40 is an F450, so we are always looking to beat that! :D

Bring Recovery gear, Chains and a CB..

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
WOW! Thank you for the invite Trevor! I have always been envious of this annual event you guys do! That is just plain cool! I am interested in participating....let me hack out the dates with the "Commander and Chief" and I'll see what I can do!

For the RS'ers that have not heard about this event go to Colorado Land Cruisers site and look at some previous years reports....sounds like a fun time for sure! A link

Every Year CLC goes up the rampart range area (near woodland Park) and helps the forest service with the tree cutting events and Recovery of stuck City folk that are out cutting down trees..

This year we have 3 weekends and 6 days to cover, so the club was wondering if Rising Sun has some interested folks to help out.., the dates are in December Sat and Sunday the 1st,2nd, 8th,9th and 15th,16th.

I know the holidays can be busy for everyone.. We would like to have 6 rigs per day up there.. The forest Service would like a list names and commitments by Nov 17th.. so think about it and let me know if you are interested and the dates!

The day's events depend greatly upon how much snow they get.. Some days we end up just messing around all day, and others end up Late with Great Recovery Stories! ;) Biggest truck pulled out by an FJ40 is an F450, so we are always looking to beat that! :D

Bring Recovery gear, Chains and a CB..

Rezarf

Hard Core 4+
Trevor, Stacy and I might be up for the last dates on the 15 or 16th.

I will check with Stacy. I don't have chains and will not be investing in any, but I do have a winch and straps... can I still come?

Thanks!

Drew

isotel

we need to let the FS know who is going by next week so let me know if you can make it and what days..

Its ok if you decide to go later, but they like to know the #'s.. It also lets us know how to divide up the rest of the days amongst the other members of the club.. :cheers:

Rezarf

Hard Core 4+
Trevor, we are going to have to pull out, I have orders from the Doc not to push my tailbone for quite a few more months.

Sorry man, sounds like a blast!

Drew

subzali

Hard Core 4+
I'm planning on coming at least one day, I'll get with Victor and let him know the dates I'll be available.

Come on Rising Sun, this sounds like a sweet event, tons of fun, and might help with our relations to the Forest Service down in that area to help keep some trails open!

And you get to look official! They give you radios, magnetic signs for your truck, and then turn you loose! :D

RockRunner

Hard Core 4+
I would like to participate in this if it is still possible. Let me know the dates that need to be covered and I will see if I can cover any of them.

If I can do this are we allowed to cut a tree too? I would think I would need to pay for a license or permit which I am fine with. Please let me know what works and I will get back to you.

subzali

Hard Core 4+
I have to bail. My truck broke in Moab. :(

I would like to participate in this if it is still possible. Let me know the dates that need to be covered and I will see if I can cover any of them.

If I can do this are we allowed to cut a tree too? I would think I would need to pay for a license or permit which I am fine with. Please let me know what works and I will get back to you.

I will find out which days we need help the most. I am sure you will be able to go home with a tree. Permits are $15 I believe. I do not know if the forest service waives the fee for volunteers or not.

Thanks for the Help!

Matt,
Sorry to hear about the luck, or lack there of.

RockRunner

Hard Core 4+
No need to waive the fee, just wanted to make sure I would not have to buy one before heading up there.

Let me know when you can use people and I will see what works. Should be able to fit one or maybe two in I hope.

Meeting time is 8:30 am at the Western Gas station Just East of Woodland park. We leave the Gas station by 9am and head to the middle school off of Rampart Range Road in Woodland Park to meet with the Forest Service. There we will get Magnets and radios and split into groups.

Then we head into the hills to search for stranded motorists, or just enjoy the forest :thumb:

RockRunner

Hard Core 4+
Looks like Dec. 2nd and 16th have the biggest need, but we would be happy to have the help on any day.

I will check with the General and see what we can do. Looks like both dates are Sunday which is sort of bad for me but we'll see. if we decide to come up on a Saturday do we contact you first?

How long of a drive is it from C-470 and Sante fe if you know?

Hope to see ya'll out there:hill:

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
How long of a drive is it from C-470 and Sante fe if you know?

Hope to see ya'll out there:hill:

Tom,

I would think it would take a good 90 mins if the weather is good and you are travelling the speed limit or higher. From C470 & I25 to I25 & Hwy 24 is probably right about an hour IIRC in good weather. If the weather is bad or you're trailering the Runner then obviously you'll need more time.

JadeRunner

Rising Sun Member
As it ends up. I will up there this Sunday the 2nd with my whole family, my brother from the Springs and several other family's getting trees and having a cookout.

Sorry I can't really commit to being an official worker all day, but I will of course be there and be prepared to help others while I'm there.

Hants

Rising Sun Member
From up North, its probably shorter to go up Mt Herman Road. This is a Forest Service road that heads up from Monument.

From my house (just outside Monument), it takes about 10 minutes to get to Mt Herman Road, and about 20 minutes to drive up. Driving down around to the 24, then back up to the cutting area is close to an hour.

Tom,

I would think it would take a good 90 mins if the weather is good and you are travelling the speed limit or higher. From C470 & I25 to I25 & Hwy 24 is probably right about an hour IIRC in good weather. If the weather is bad or you're trailering the Runner then obviously you'll need more time.

JadeRunner

Rising Sun Member
It was bone dry today getting trees. We took 285 to Deckers in in. There sure were tons of people getting at Buffalo Creek near Pine. There must have been hundreds of trees harvested up there today.