Champion Beadlocks? Others?

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
It's possible that all five wheels will be replaced by my insurance (can't find a match to the one that broke). Toying with the idea of Champion Beadlocks. Whaddya think? I know the maintenance, but with infrequent driving, and the fact that I REALLY don't want to roll a bead (or other things as a result of losing a bead) I am considering options.

A side benefit is, when the ring gets trashed, a new ring is cheaper than a new wheel... And the Champion ring is pretty darn close in appearance to a fake beadlock, so who is to say? The modified American Racing Outlaw style wheel looks pretty good.

What is the story on DOT compliance enforcement issues? Not what you've heard about but what you have experienced first hand? I think I heard about UB getting a ticket in Utah...

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Traditional beadlocks ARE NOT DOT approved. The only reason (usually) the authorities will bug you about them (at least in CO) is because they are looking for a reason. (just like the fender law that is in place!) Utah, beadlocks are a big no-no as they will pull you over and will ticket you and you will have to have the vehicle hauled away! Moab is different as it's clear that the cops will ignore the bolts because of the economy support.

There are several legal beadlocks out these days. I plan on running fake bling bling beadlocks on my 80 with real (legal) Staun system inside. The reason is, as Bill points out, when the rings are trashed you can swap them out cheaper than new wheels. Bolt together two and three piece beadlock wheels also are DOT legal (hummer style). There are a couple other internal style beadlocks out there. I've heard that there is a legal traditional style beadlock out there that has sometype of bold head locks......I do not know anything other than rumor on that one.

J Kimmel

Hard Core 4+
Not true on the illegal part, its been discussed at length before on many different forums, there is nothing that says they are illegal.

I just ordered a set of MRW beadlocks in the 17 inch size, because there weren't any others available. I found out Champion has a much shorter lead time than the rest, and they are priced about the same. I had a set on my last Runner, and they were a pair of Eagle rims that were sent in to be locked. They held up to several years of abuse on plenty of tough trails. I always knew when a bolt was loose, since that was the only time they ever lost air. I never balanced them, they rode great at 75 with various BFG and MTR flavor tires, never had any issues with vibrations. It was also pretty rare that the bolts came loose, almost never.

I DD mine for 4+ years, very low maint, and never once got a hassle about legality from anyone.
I am pretty sure I will be selling my new MRW's at the end of the year, and having a new set of wheels drop shipped to them to be locked. There are some really cool wheels on the market right now and they can lock any alum wheel.

HTH

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Not true on the illegal part, its been discussed at length before on many different forums, there is nothing that says they are illegal.

I just ordered a set of MRW beadlocks in the 17 inch size, because there weren't any others available. I found out Champion has a much shorter lead time than the rest, and they are priced about the same. I had a set on my last Runner, and they were a pair of Eagle rims that were sent in to be locked. They held up to several years of abuse on plenty of tough trails. I always knew when a bolt was loose, since that was the only time they ever lost air. I never balanced them, they rode great at 75 with various BFG and MTR flavor tires, never had any issues with vibrations. It was also pretty rare that the bolts came loose, almost never.

I DD mine for 4+ years, very low maint, and never once got a hassle about legality from anyone.
I am pretty sure I will be selling my new MRW's at the end of the year, and having a new set of wheels drop shipped to them to be locked. There are some really cool wheels on the market right now and they can lock any alum wheel.

HTH

I'm sure I can dig up a Utah State Patrol ticket copy that will state otherwise! If a wheel (or tire) does not have a DOT stamp on it or has been altered it is not legal on any public highway and rural roads the speed cannot exceed 30mph!

EDIT: http://safetyinspections.utah.gov/pdf/2007%20SI%20PLT%20Manual.pdf

Last edited:

J Kimmel

Hard Core 4+
thankfully we live in colorado, I can't say I would let that stop me, been to Moab plenty of times driving and using beadlocks without an issue. Bills truck doesn't look like something from mad max so I bet he's fine. Besides that, most beadlocks have dot stamps on the wheels.

Its been debated countless times, I'd love to see a real statute that addresses it vs what some utah cop wrote a ticket for.

Didn't Mark(scaldeddog) get a ticket or a warning from a Bailey cop about illegal suspension? that was bogus too.

Kipper

Hard Core 4+
It's possible that all five wheels will be replaced by my insurance ...

that's just really freakin' cool. so the stated value thing is really working out? I have to say I was a little skeptical that the insurance company would hold up their end of the deal. sorry, a tinsy bit off topic.

Cheese

I have OMF. Call and ask for Bones.

I have a full width 4Runner on 37's and have never gotten any static. I drive reasonably and keep as low a profile as I can.

Mine are stamped DOT legal because they started as Eagle Alloys.

They are not DOT legal, nor are they illegal. No one has ever proven reasonably otherwise. Rockstomper as a reward for those who can prove, a ticket just shows a bad day with a cop. There has never been a statute in Colorado cited.

I would look hard at Stauns, both beads and stealth.

I would look hard at the RockMonster that Christo had on Shamu for the UA if I had deeper pockets. Again, both beads and DOT certification.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
I'm sure I can dig up a Utah State Patrol ticket copy that will state otherwise! If a wheel (or tire) does not have a DOT stamp on it or has been altered it is not legal on any public highway and rural roads the speed cannot exceed 30mph!

EDIT: http://safetyinspections.utah.gov/pdf/2007 SI PLT Manual.pdf
Ya know, the problem with that .pdf is, wheel spacers to increase track width are also illegal. I'm already hosed. And a literal reading of the words would indicate that DOT beadlocks are also illegal!

Methinks that would not hold constitutional muster, but I am no lawyer. So Kevin, are you saying your vehicle had to be towed after a citation? That seems extreme, but if it happened, it happened!

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
I never said I didn't think it was total BS! My 40 has been on Beadlocks most of it's hard core life. It's the same old pooh....if a law enforcement official wants to pull you over and fill his need to be a bad arse there is an endless amount of normally overlooked issues he/she can pull out of their butt. Case in point a few years ago when they decided to shut down the "Cruising" on Colfax. They nailed anyone with tires that were uncovered by the body of the car. Back east they focus on headlight hight above the ground. After I got that ticket (we went to 21 road from Moab and back) for altered non DOT approved wheels I snagged some 15" chev truck "beauty rings" and snapped them on over the lock rings when ever I drove it on the highway. That only lasted a very short while before I trashed them by not taking them off on a trail. Drive whatever ya want however ya want just know that if Johnny wants to nail ya for something he can and will! And forums are just forums and he-said-she-said will never hold up in court! :blah: :blah: :rolleyes:

thankfully we live in colorado, I can't say I would let that stop me, been to Moab plenty of times driving and using beadlocks without an issue. Bills truck doesn't look like something from mad max so I bet he's fine. Besides that, most beadlocks have dot stamps on the wheels.

Its been debated countless times, I'd love to see a real statute that addresses it vs what some utah cop wrote a ticket for.

Didn't Mark(scaldeddog) get a ticket or a warning from a Bailey cop about illegal suspension? that was bogus too.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
that's just really freakin' cool. so the stated value thing is really working out? I have to say I was a little skeptical that the insurance company would hold up their end of the deal. sorry, a tinsy bit off topic.
Note the "it's possible that... " qualifier. I don't yet have the final decision, we will see.

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Ya know, the problem with that .pdf is, wheel spacers to increase track width are also illegal. I'm already hosed. And a literal reading of the words would indicate that DOT beadlocks are also illegal!

Methinks that would not hold constitutional muster, but I am no lawyer. So Kevin, are you saying your vehicle had to be towed after a citation? That seems extreme, but if it happened, it happened!
Utah doesn't impose points for traffic infractions only violations so it wasn't worth fighting to me....I sent the check. We did have to leave it on the side of the road and go to Moab to get my trailer! I have heard of others nailed with the same charge in Utah in the past but I haven't heard of it happening for quite some time. I think that was in '93 or '94. I keep copies of tickets so let me see if I can dig that up....

I just remembered....I had drove it out. I used my friends trailer to haul it back to Moab. I went home the back way through Ridgeway.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
I like the beauty ring option... :D

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Pretty sure some folks at CM06 had issues with the Law and said beadlocks, and many of them ended up trailering to trail heads at CM07 because of it.

AxleIke

Hard Core 4+
I will second, or third, the idea to look at stauns. Legal, and locks both beads. In addition, they balance better.

J Kimmel

Hard Core 4+
my truck has no bed, 42's and full width axles. I drove it at CM, and passed a few cops with no issues. I do know at jeep safari they'll pull anyone over. I think the bottom line is no one yet has been able to show they are illegal or not, yet weather or not you get a ticket or hassle depends on the cop and how his day is going. A friend of mine once got a ticket in Penrose for no registration, yet the vehicle had never left the trailer...huh?? His particular explanation made no sense, he said by law they had to be registered or stickered even if being transported on a trailer, yet his explanation regarding race cars is they are "different..." Thankfully courts interpret our laws and not the people out there to enforce them:)
I also think, from experience, you aren't ever going to deal with that, you get pulled over it'll be for speeding or a headlight out and the cop is going to comment on how sweet your ride looks :)

I remember the title of the thread, I had them, they were sweet wheels, they would fit you nicely, as they don't require balancing and with the MTR's you've got, you can cruise down the highway at 75 and happily chase elk :)

I'm pretty sure I'm going to get a set of these converted at the end of the year:)

http://www.4wheelparts.com/PPT5352T100106.aspx

FWIW

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Nice wheels.
Ya know, the thought of getting fake beadlocks converted to real ones is an interesting thought... when questioned, just whip out the catalog cut sheet. Just make sure the lock ring looks a WHOLE lot like the original.:lmao:

The whole thing really seems like simple harassment. I've never sweated riding my motorcycle with knobby tires on pavement, and never had an issue. Those are not DOT. Kinda moot these days, as DOT knobbies are getting awfully darn good, but still.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Nice wheels.
Ya know, the thought of getting fake beadlocks converted to real ones is an interesting thought... when questioned, just whip out the catalog cut sheet. Just make sure the lock ring looks a WHOLE lot like the original.:lmao:

The whole thing really seems like simple harassment. I've never sweated riding my motorcycle with knobby tires on pavement, and never had an issue. Those are not DOT. Kinda moot these days, as DOT knobbies are getting awfully darn good, but still.

EXACTLY! Just do it....like I said if they want to hassle you they will regardless!

Cheese

This is why I encourage people to get fakelocks, keeps the cops guessing.

When I worked at a shop, I had a cop stop and tell me the wheels were sweet.

When I got rear ended in a giant collection of cars on I-25, none of the officers doing reports who scrutinized the truck said anything.

In Moab, it is a toss up. It seems like it depends on the driver and the day.

My 37's are completely out of the fenders, but I have a full bodied, straight truck at this point. Mr. Kimmel's truck should draw a bunch more attention.

As much as I like the idea of the Stauns, you do lock both beads, but you do not get the extra outer ring. Having that huge lip where things are bound to get hammered gives extra strength and piece of mind.