• ColoYota Expo: swap meet + show and shine. Saturday, May 11 from 10 am - 2 pm
    Get Details & Register Now!
    . Only $5 to attend (no additional charge to participate in the swap meet).

Hey Guest, we need volunteers to help run the event. Please sign up here.

Cat replacement option - 80 series

Lastresort576

Hard Core 4+
98E3DEB7-8FA5-4D60-8C28-62A5F1D890E5.jpeg
As we know CO has gone to CA compliant catalytic converters and federal ones are no longer sold here.
Just wanted to share outside of my emissions thread the link to a company that just shipped me a federal magnaflow cat for $503 total.

Pretty good deal if there’s any chance you need a new one, headache free.

https://jeepandtruckparts.com/produ...450-4-5l-95-97-toyota-land-cruiser-4-5l-front

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
Just wanted to share outside of my emissions thread the link to a company that just shipped me a federal magnaflow cat for $503 total.

Pretty good deal if there’s any chance you need a new one, headache free.

https://jeepandtruckparts.com/produ...450-4-5l-95-97-toyota-land-cruiser-4-5l-front
I live in the land of the free so totally an option for me. if anyone needs, you can ship to me and pick up in cheyenne. not the first time my kalorado friends have done that ;)

when you get it installed, please post up how fit and finish are. i need to start thinking about the exhaust on fat bastard. it's 439 at summit, so if fit is still good, i'll have to order one up

Last edited:

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
not sure what you mean by "flex fittings". did you have them ad a flexible bellows?

Lastresort576

Hard Core 4+
I live in the land of the free so totally an option for me. if anyone needs, you can ship to me and pick up in cheyenne. not the first time my kalorado friends have done that ;)

when you get it installed, please post up how fit and finish are. i need to start thinking about the exhaust on fat bastard. it's 439 at summit, so if fit is still good, i'll have to order one up
36B56A86-B5D4-4CDA-8C89-B3326D707C11.jpeg
Ok phew just checked to make sure summit won’t ship here.yeah I’m that cheap. Lol. 😂 I had almost considered reaching out and asking if shipping to you would be an option but fell into this site, which thankfully saves money and time.

I’ll definitely report back on how it fits. I had the original cat off a week ago so Im sure it’ll be fast and headache free coming off this weekend.

Lastresort576

Hard Core 4+
@nuclearlemon got it installed today. I haven’t gone for a spin yet, but it’s sealed up and fitment seems good to me. Oh I stuck with using oem gasket’s vs. the included ones. It also did not include nuts for the O2 sensor studs. Not the best of days for do the cat and radius arms 😂
EB047D5F-A3C4-4E02-A3CC-BEFEEB61C508.jpeg
F2645712-10C9-4EBC-8BD4-EA8A2B9BE97A.jpeg

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
guess i'm going to have to plan on a shopping trip

ColoradoMntMan

Rising Sun Member
thank you for posting this, I failed emissions last year and squeaked by using alcohol in my gas, but that is only buying me time

Lastresort576

Hard Core 4+
thank you for posting this, I failed emissions last year and squeaked by using alcohol in my gas, but that is only buying me time
No problem. I figured it would be helpful for a lot of people. What really sucks is I’d be passing with ease if they didn’t reduce allowable limits recently.

LARGEONE

Rising Sun Member
So, I asked the muffler repair shop about this option, and whether there was any way the emissions shop could catch this. Of course, he had to give this answer, but I thought I'd pass along in the case people are considering going this route. He said that the cats have a date stamp on them that the emission shop is supposed to check if the CAT is not OEM/stock. If the manufacture date on the CAT is after the 2021 initiation of CARB mandatory date, then they will fail the truck. I wonder how easy it really is to check this date, and how many emission shops will actually check? My sliders probably wouldn't make it very easy!

Just thought I'd pass along, in case someone is considering...you may need to make the date hard to see :) (Ige can ignore this part)

rover67

Rising Sun Member
so if you buy an out of state truck with a non cali emissions cat installed post 2021 in another state you fail?

LARGEONE

Rising Sun Member
Really good point, Marco! I really Dont understand how they can police this? But I wouldn’t put it past them!

Lastresort576

Hard Core 4+
Fwiw.. when I just took my 80 on sat with the new front cat, they didnt question it for a second. Its an unenforceable law. Theyre just trying to make it difficult for those doing the work themselves by not allowing us to purchase the parts in state.

Last edited:

J1000

Rising Sun Member
Most cars they don't scrutinize the cats that hard, they just check they are there. If your car is having trouble passing or has typical mods like big exhaust or ricey wheels and tires etc then they may scrutinize it more. And if so then they'll flag it in the computer and every time you bring it for emissions they will do the "rubber glove" treatment.
Fwiw.. when I just took my 80 on sat with the new front cat, they didnt question it for a second. Its an unenforceable law. Theyre just trying to make it difficult for those doing the work themselves by not allowing us to purchase the parts in state.
For people who can do their own work it's a minor inconvenience. I've still been able to get generic cats from amazon ebay and the like. The big issue is for the general public who gets their cat stolen and end up looking at a repair estimate that's more than their car is worth. It's a huge financial burden with very minor environmental benefits. In a lot of cases a CARB certified cat is just a normal cat that has gone through an additional inspection and doesn't perform any better. It's like an aircraft grade bolt and a hardware store bolt; they do the same thing but one is hella expensive. The difference is that cats don't hold your car in the air and if it fails on the emissions machine then just replace it.

I've seen first hand the combination of Colorado CARB cat laws and cat theft causing people to lose their cars, miss out on opportunities, shell out thousands to repair a rusty POS etc. Thanks lawmakers.

Last edited:

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
i'll echo what i've said for decades...what does it matter what's on the vehicle as long as it passes a sniffer? oh, yeah.....follow the money

J1000

Rising Sun Member
i'll echo what i've said for decades...what does it matter what's on the vehicle as long as it passes a sniffer? oh, yeah.....follow the money
That literally used to be the philosophy of Colorado emissions! Check engine lights and other stuff like that had no effect on pass or fail! It just had to be clean.

Now you can have a clean vehicle fail because of a check engine light or not having the right date stamped on a part. Even if the exhaust is clean.

The whole ethos of Colorado has changed. Sad part is people don't realize how good we used to have it just a couple years ago.

Last edited:

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
That literally used to be the philosophy of Colorado emissions! Check engine lights and other stuff like that had no effect on pass or fail! It just had to be clean.

Now you can have a clean vehicle fail because of a check engine light or not having the right date stamped on a part. Even if the exhaust is clean.

The whole ethos of Colorado has changed. Sad part is people don't realize how good we used to have it just a couple years ago.
it wasn't good a couple of years ago either. it was never good. it just wasn't as screwed up as it is now.

the nuclearlemon passed the sniffer with flying colors but as soon as they popped the hood and saw the air rail gone, it failed.

navistar test center has taken semis and pulled all the emissions off and proved that, well tuned, they burn cleaner than an emissioned engine, but politicians pockets are getting lined, so who cares.

J1000

Rising Sun Member
it wasn't good a couple of years ago either. it was never good. it just wasn't as screwed up as it is now.

the nuclearlemon passed the sniffer with flying colors but as soon as they popped the hood and saw the air rail gone, it failed.

navistar test center has taken semis and pulled all the emissions off and proved that, well tuned, they burn cleaner than an emissioned engine, but politicians pockets are getting lined, so who cares.
Agreed. I remember in 2017 or 2018 I took my 320whp turbo Miata in and passed emissions easily and the techs all had the hood open gawking at my huge turbo. That was the last time that car passed. It was heavily modded but the techs still passed it.