Cargo mat options

60wag

Rising Sun Member
I've been wanting to get rid of the nasty carpet in the back of my 60 for some time. There must be a good relatively cheap option out there. I want to replace both the floor piece and the piece mounted to the back of the rear seat so the replacement material can't be too thick.

I found a possible option while wandering around Costco the other day. Its a gray vinyl sheet material with a diamond plate pattern molded into it. Its sold as flooring for the garage. The thing is, its 180$ for a 7.5'x17' sheet. This is almost exactly 3 times the amount I need. (4x5 for the floor, 2x5 for the seat back and 1x5 for the tailgate.) If two other people wanted to go in on a sheet and split it, it'd be 60 someodd $ a piece. This seems reasonable. Other other ideas I should be looking at? TIA.

Bruce

If you want to go in on the Costco stuff with me, let me know.

RockRunner

Hard Core 4+
We are using a store entrance floor mat. It fits just about right in the FJ, I will have to do some cutting but nothing big. It is nice because it has carpet on top and rubber on the bottom. My wife bought two of them for $16.00 each I want to say. I will check with her where and how much for sure. I plan on installing one or two in the back of the 4Runner once the carpet gets real gross.

Nice thing about this stuff is if you spill something it will not get down to the body and if it is dirty you just pull it out at the car wash and hose it down. I plan on using some type of hook and loop system to hold it onto the back of the seats. Then once it wears out I toss it.

Wife bought the mats at Home Depot and they were $17.99 for a 4x6 or maybe 3x6 not sure. Not to bad for a cheap cover and very hardy.

60wag

Rising Sun Member
I went with the HD floor mat option. It'll take two of them (3x5) to do the job but it should work well.

I pulled the old carpet out yesterday. It revealed some rust holes I didn't know about. They're where the rear of the fender hump meets the floor - bummer. But that hopefully explains the musty smell I've noticed recently.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
+1 on the Home Depot store entrance mats.

I needed mine after a pronghorn head in a 5-gallon bucket tipped over on the way to getting mounted. The original carpet was past its service life anyway.

After a couple days the smell was somewhat less than appropriate for Valentine's day...:lmao:

farnhamstj

Hard Core 4+
I have the $25 Home Depot indoor/outdoor carpet in green. Got some rubberized underlayment from local carpet store.