• Carb

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Fuel Injection

Votes: 18 90.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
I like Webers in general. They improve much with proper jetting. They are as precise as motorcycle carbs, which is pretty darn good.

Whatsit doing?

Around town it seems fine, albeit extremely thirsty :confused: - I haven't tracked mpg real close but it under 10. On the 40s only run I fueled up before leaving and made it back on fumes pretty much.

On the run it seemed fine until we approached the top of Kingston peak. It died going up the semi steep approach at the top and didn't want to keep running. On the way down the other side it would die if I pushed in the clutch and then just above Alice to all the way past Idaho Springs it was back firing. Once over Floyd Hill it returned to its "normal" self.

Around town what I notice most is an occassional desire to "bog down" if I floor the gas in 3rd or 4th gear and an occasional desire to not want to run (i.e. lose power) when climbing an incline and trying to add throttle.

I chatted with Jim C about a rebuild but he won't touch Webers for 40s :( - Webers for other vehicles he will rebuild no problem but not for the 40s. My next step was to buy a Weber manual, new higher elevation jets and whatever else would come in a rebuild kit, and muck my way through a rebuild. My goal is to have the 40 ready for CM09 :rolleyes:

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Around town it seems fine, albeit extremely thirsty :confused: - I haven't tracked mpg real close but it under 10. On the 40s only run I fueled up before leaving and made it back on fumes pretty much.

On the run it seemed fine until we approached the top of Kingston peak. It died going up the semi steep approach at the top and didn't want to keep running. On the way down the other side it would die if I pushed in the clutch and then just above Alice to all the way past Idaho Springs it was back firing. Once over Floyd Hill it returned to its "normal" self.

Around town what I notice most is an occassional desire to "bog down" if I floor the gas in 3rd or 4th gear and an occasional desire to not want to run (i.e. lose power) when climbing an incline and trying to add throttle.

I chatted with Jim C about a rebuild but he won't touch Webers for 40s :( - Webers for other vehicles he will rebuild no problem but not for the 40s. My next step was to buy a Weber manual, new higher elevation jets and whatever else would come in a rebuild kit, and muck my way through a rebuild. My goal is to have the 40 ready for CM09 :rolleyes:
Yeah, too rich.
Start with a few steps leaner for the pilot and main. I do not know, but would guess, that to be maybe 3 or 4 steps leaner, but a decent carb guy or Weber vendor can tell you. Bracket it, so you end up with knowing where it is so lean it bogs (and maybe pings a bit), and go a step or two richer from there. Start with the mains, then do the pilots.
The real way to set it up is with a sniffer of course, but you can get closer than where you are now by feel.
Not sure how your Weber meters cruising speed but that will likely need to be tweaked leaner too.
Get a manual and next club meeting over :beer: we can plan the devastation.

Or at least I can dispense advice that will get you deep in pucky.

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
Get a manual and next club meeting over :beer: we can plan the devastation.

:cool:

Will do Bill and thanks :thumb: - How about after CM08 though...I've got a lot to do on the LX to be ready for CM08 still :hill:

rover67

Rising Sun Member
i can help on the weber too, i've tuned lots of them, and had one on my 2f. i really like them. I had a handfull of jets for my truck, i'll try to see if I can find them. otherwise, take the top off of yours and see what jets yo uhave then order a few different sizes from wherever.

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
I can't say enough good things about Jim's Aisan rebuilds. I average 16MPG in my 71 and have gotten over 21 on occasion.

I've seen Webers serve adequately in Land Cruisers, and no doubt, a new something usually works better than an old, worn out something. But I don't like the way you have to jury rig the throttle linkage, I don't like the little air cleaner and I hate the electric choke. And I don't like their (lack of) fuel economy compared to a properly set up stock Aisan. Don't forget that the distributor and valves work hand-in-hand with the carb. Without proper distributor advance under various conditions, good performance and economy can never be achieved. Valve timing and compression affects the relationship between spark timing and carb setup as well. A properly running engine has a whole cast of characters that all must work in harmony to get best performance and fuel economy.