• UPDATED LOCATION DUE TO FORECAST OF RAIN: MAY 2024 CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: The next RS meeting will be Wednesday, May 1, 2024 at 7:30 p.m. The meeting will be held indoors at the fabulous Golden Gate Canyon Grange. Click here for directions. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.

⦿ If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

Buying a used Nikon?

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
I've been thinking about upgrading my photo setup. Since early 2009, I've been shooting a D200 -- got a great deal on the body, right around the time the D300 came out. But I'm thinking that maybe it's time to upgrade.

We have a D7200 at work, and I've been fairly amazed that it seems to take better photos than my D200. But I kind of think that if I'm going to buy a different camera, it might be time to go full frame.

One of the guys on the Kokopelli Run suggested that I look at buying a used D700 from eBay. I'm not sure about this. I'd hate to buy it and then have to send it in for repair. But I do think that a D700 would be a significant upgrade over what I have now, and there are bodies available for under $1K. A new 750 is almost $2K.

Anyone have experience buying used?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

I've been thinking about upgrading my photo setup. Since early 2009, I've been shooting a D200 -- got a great deal on the body, right around the time the D300 came out. But I'm thinking that maybe it's time to upgrade.

We have a D7200 at work, and I've been fairly amazed that it seems to take better photos than my D200. But I kind of think that if I'm going to buy a different camera, it might be time to go full frame.

One of the guys on the Kokopelli Run suggested that I look at buying a used D700 from eBay. I'm not sure about this. I'd hate to buy it and then have to send it in for repair. But I do think that a D700 would be a significant upgrade over what I have now, and there are bodies available for under $1K. A new 750 is almost $2K.

Anyone have experience buying used?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

I typically try not to by any used gear off eBay unless it's an old film camera. Mostly medium format. Have you looked at KEH? I don't know anything about Nikons but here's a D700.

I am consistently impressed with KEH's service and quality. The gear I've purchased from them always looks and performs like it has never been used. I can't recommend them enough.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
I've bought several Nikon related items from KEH, highly recommended and their grading is conservative.

No experience with D700, I still use the same FM3a as I have since 2002. If I was to buy a DLSR it would likely be something like a used D700 with a reasonably low shutter trip count. I like my Nikons to have round eyepieces, what can I say? The D700 seems plenty rugged and it's probably going to have been a backup for a pro or used by an amateur who wouldn't abuse a $2K body too much. If it's anything like the F100/F5 pair at least, where the "little" sister was for all practical purposes the same thing electronically and mechanically.

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Have you looked at KEH? I don't know anything about Nikons but here's a D700.

I am consistently impressed with KEH's service and quality. The gear I've purchased from them always looks and performs like it has never been used. I can't recommend them enough.

Thanks, this is just what I needed to see. Buying from KEH looks like a much better bet than taking my chances on eBay.

I like my Nikons to have round eyepieces, what can I say?

Does the round eyepiece make much of a difference? My D200 has the rounded trapezoid shape and it always seemed OK to me -- but I didn't know the other one existed. It's interesting that the round eyepiece was on the D700 but it's not on the D750 -- if you want it on a new Nikon, you have to pay an extra $1000 for the D810.

I stopped by Mike's Camera today to see the D750 in person. Wow, nice camera. It has built in wifi, so you can preview images on a computer or smart phone, which could potentially be useful. The tilt screen is really nice, too.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
The Nikons that had 100% view had round eyepieces, doesn't really mean anything. I'd just always dreamed of owning a Nikon with it. It's stupid really. I'm not sure what it is, but I got that FM3a and I thought finally, I'm getting somewhere and within a year Nikon stopped making it because everyone had gone digital. Story of my life, decades behind the curve I guess. I won't be buying a D700 or anything else for that matter any time soon. I've gone this long without a DSLR so it seems I don't miss having one. I've run 3 rolls of film this year so I'm apparently completely uninspired. Just haven't gone anywhere or done anything. It's sad really. I haven't even put gas in my motorcycle yet this summer.

Thanks, this is just what I needed to see. Buying from KEH looks like a much better bet than taking my chances on eBay.

They do service as well as buying used gear. So, when you're ready to upgrade, one stop shop.

Dave, nothing wrong with film. I'm a bit of luddite myself these days. Besides, the way I look at it, if digital happens to go poof, about 98% of current "pro" photographers won't have any idea how to continue working while I'll be happily working with my Hasselblad and Mamiya MF gear. :hill:

CardinalFJ60

Rising Sun Member
LOVE my d700

LOVE the d700...full frame is worth it. That said, if you can get something newer with some of the new features (video, wifi, etc) I'd go that route. There are times I wish I had the video capability on my dslr, if only so I didn't have to carry another device.

the round eyepiece on my d700 has a little door you can close so no light can sneak in if you are doing remote release shots without your face pressed up against the viewfinder. It IS brighter than my d300.

Cheeseman

Rising Sun Member
Hey all, I have a D90 (DX) and D600 (FX). I also have some DX and FX lenses. DX lenses on an FX body gives you a smaller framing in the viewfinder. Hard to get used to. So look at lenses as well and see what you can afford and want to work with.