• RS MAY CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: Our monthly RS meeting on Wed. May 1st will be held at the Rooney Sports Complex. Details and directions are here. Early start time: 7:00 pm. to take advantage of daylight. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.
    If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

Bring a Trailer Experience?

Daytonadogie

Lifted
Has anyone here sold a vehicle on BAT? I’m seriously thinking about posting my LS / FJ62 and would like to hear from someone who has done this. Thanks!

MtnAddict

Rising Sun Member
I sold a 100 series a few months back and I thought it was a very easy process. Probably more depends on the buyer once you get that far and how they want to handle the transaction/shipping.

mcgaskins

Rising Sun Member
I sold my TJ on the site (https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1998-jeep-wrangler-4/) and had a good experience. I wanted more control over the ad copy and had to wrangle with them a little - pun intended - to get it where I liked it, but the result was good and post sale was easy. My buddy actually just started working there as a writer 2 weeks ago, but I don't think he has much control over which ads he writes - at least as of now.

BritKLR

Rising Sun Member
My neighbor sold his restored Challenger on BAT to a guy in Germany and had no problems with the auction/transaction......the only problem was the transportation truck getting stuck on his narrow mountain road/driveway. That took a couple hours to get out!

Telly

Rising Sun Member
I've never posted on BAT but plan to if someone does not buy my FJ40 soon. Dealing with CL and FB flakes is an absolute turd sandwich. Good to see positive posts here.

simps80

Rising Sun Member
Put that 70 on bat Telly
You’ll get more thank 15k put a spare tire on the rim and get good pictures

We sold our 69 fj40 on bat went smooth no drama

If looking for a fair market with good buyers it’s the way to go.

buyers are pre qualified and the bullshit quotient is held to a minimum

Price to BS ratio maximized

Telly

Rising Sun Member
You’ll get more thank 15k put a spare tire on the rim and get good pictures
I actually priced a matching spare tire from Big O Tire and it was $225 bucks! My thought was someone here may want to go with a taller tire (that was my plan) so I didn't want to waste the money. You are absolutely right if it's going on BAT.

shellb

Hard Core 4+
I’ll chime in as a buyer! All three of my transactions were super smooth and gave me confidence to buy again.

End of the day, it’s a market place that attracts (for the most part) enthusiasts on both sides and everything that means for a transaction.

drwest

New-ish
It's expensive to buy on BAT, not so bad to sell. I bought a G-wagon on BAT that came with a hefty buyers premium.

gungriffin

Rising Sun Member
CarsandBids.com is the Doug DeMuro website. It seems to bring good prices too. At one point CAB capped the buyers premium at about half of BAT, but that doesn't look to be the case any longer.

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
Bumping this thread

Does selecting the submit for $99 give you limits to how many pictures you submit?

Do you get to review the ad before it goes live?

Thinking I should have a reserve, anything I need to know about that

Is it better to try BAT, Carsandbids or the Doug Demuro site Ryan mentioned

SteveH

Hard Core 4+
@Romer - I sold two 4Runners last year on BaT (both '98 5 speed diff-lock models - mine and my brother's). No limit on photos - you can do 400-500 if you like. I did the $99 deal.

You get to review the ad copy before it goes live, and my requests for changes to the copy were honored. BaT will not do 'reserves' for stuff like my 4Runners, but will do it for more oddball trucks. You can ask that question up front. My sales price far exceeded what I could have sold the trucks for here in Colorado.

It was nice that the BaT ad writers were pretty familiar with Toyotas and 4Runners, so their first pass at the ad copy was pretty spot-on. I just tweaked it a little. Communication with their rep was pretty quick and consistent throughout. BaT was easy to use, but it takes time on your end to get the photos and videos, etc.

I was very happy with the sales price, and both buyers were very happy with the product, as it were.

simps80

Rising Sun Member
Selling easier than buying
Don’t let them bully you into a low or no reserve

No reserve sometimes equals better than expected outcomes

The reason I mentioned it on your other fj40 thread…..

That one is primed ready for BAT because of the details and quality

You could give her a run at that with a reserve you are comfortable with…but based upon originality or lack there of… walk away if they demand a no reserve

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
Thanks Guys. Do you provide a write-up for them to start with? Would the text in my Mud ad suffice in a word document?

Obviously remove the first few sentences

simps80

Rising Sun Member
They’re very proprietary about their write ups but the better the documentation of things like a build thread or original receipts as example the better the outcome is…

They seem like they employ English majors to write the original ad…
But most people ignore the original narrative and look at the documentation asap the pictures and the rest is better

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
BaT is odd with 40 series. There are a lot of South American polished turds on there and it seems like a lot of uneducated buyers. Prices all over the place with some really nice original US trucks selling way cheap at no reserve, and then you might see a SA polished turd sell for big bucks. I think a reserve would be the way to go.

Good luck Ken! 👍

KC Masterpiece

Hard Core 4+
I had a good experience on BAT as a buyer. Keep in mind there is no binding contract once the auction is over. The buyer could always back out, but they have a much higher sunk cost paying the auction fees.

I would defitely go reserve with a truck as nice as yours. I bought the 60 no reserve and the seller immediately reached out asking for more money since he thought it went too low. We smoothed it out with a phone call. For some reason he thought he was responsible for shipping cost. He also was not very knowledgeble about 60s and was sending me closed auctions on some TLC full resto vehicles to justify his pricing. Considering he lost over 10k I get where he was coming from.

Handling of the transaction is a little sketchy with an out of state buyer / seller. It will feel easier on your end recieving a wire transfer. I had the seller overnight the title and bill of sale but he held the truck. Once I had those in hand I was comfortable sending funds.

I think you could do really well on BAT.

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
I submitted photos and my write-up and stated the reserve I wanted. FAQ says it could take a few weeks to start the auction. Why does it take so long?