• RS MAY CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: Our monthly RS meeting on Wed. May 1st will be held at the Rooney Sports Complex. Details and directions are here. Early start time: 7:00 pm. to take advantage of daylight. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.
    If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

Borrowing a Hydraulic Press?

PVCsnorkel

Lifted
I'm in the middle of building my second swing arm for my rear bumper, and I need a hydraulic press to seat a couple bushings for the hinge. Does anyone have a press I could use for an hour or less to get them in?
Picture of the sleeve and bushings for reference

17100027421765196946886643117338.jpg

RDub

I have one here in Gunbarrel. Not much in the way of fixturing for it, but I am here most of the day and you’re welcome to drop by and press on!

PVCsnorkel

Lifted
Thank you everyone. I'm hoping to have the hinge welded to the arm by the end of the day today and then I'll be ready for the press.

PVCsnorkel

Lifted
I got the high lift mount figured out so I'm onto the hinge now!

17100125622067230730668197684934.jpg

Capriblue45

Rising Sun Member
I have a 20 ton press just North of you in Berthoud

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
20ton in my garage. I’m in Westminster

PVCsnorkel

Lifted
Thank you for the support everyone. I didn't expect so many responses!
The hinge is welded onto the arm now so I'll have to see what day this week I can get to someone's shop.

20240309_155100.jpg

Crash

Rising Sun Member
Not sure why you need a press for this job. Tapping the races into the swingout with a brass punch works quickly and easily.

PVCsnorkel

Lifted
Not sure why you need a press for this job. Tapping the races into the swingout with a brass punch works quickly and easily.
I tried that with the other side, they were much harder to get in than I anticipated. I also had a very hard time keeping the bushings straight and level as I was driving them in.

Burt88

Trail Ready
that's what I was thinking. I usually tap the bearings in. A press can go wrong pretty quick if it's even the slightest bit cockeyed.

Burt88

Trail Ready
I tried that with the other side, they were much harder to get in than I anticipated. I also had a very hard time keeping the bushings straight and level as I was driving them in.
Sometimes this is the case but when you hit that sweet spot they go right in. It can be a little frustrating. Just grab a bigger hammer.

Crash

Rising Sun Member
Did you have the arm secured in a vise when you tried tapping? That’s imperative.

PVCsnorkel

Lifted
I did not. The arm didn't move much while I was tapping them in though, I could see how a vise helps.

Crash

Rising Sun Member
So, I’m guessing your next question will be “Who has a vise I can use?” 😁 I do. 👍

PVCsnorkel

Lifted
Well I was going to ask if I could come over this week so we can look at the whole operation together.