• RS MAY CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: Our monthly RS meeting on Wed. May 1st will be held at the Rooney Sports Complex. Details and directions are here. Early start time: 7:00 pm. to take advantage of daylight. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.
    If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

BLM Emergency Closure Rule Change

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
The BLM opened a comment period way back in November and closes Jan 22, 2024. Sorry I missed it. The gist of the rule change is the BLM is going to change their policy on closing public lands.

"Another proposed change would allow closure and restriction orders to take immediate effect upon signature. The need for BLM to issue temporary closure and restriction orders often arises in response to emergency incidents or unforeseen events that require prompt responses, such as public health emergencies, flood or fire damage, hazardous material incidents, unexploded ordnances, or changes in public land use that create a hazard to the public."

The press release.

https://www.blm.gov/press-release/blm-rule-update-would-improve-emergency-response-public-lands

Still reading through the proposed rule change. Some of the language worries me since it speaks of bypassing FLPMA rules on putting public notice and comment periods in the Federal Register and instead saying a Facebook post is the same thing.

What if you aren't on Facebook? Well, I'm not, and it took me nearly 2 months to finally find this nugget and I didn't hear about it anywhere else. So it's a good thing FLPMA still required it. I don't see how this can be changed by anyone other than Congress amending FLPMA to be honest.

https://www.federalregister.gov/doc...5698/temporary-closure-and-restriction-orders

Last edited:

On the RX

Rising Sun Member
Love that you are finding this stuff! I haven't been on FB for almost a year and that is not a good way to disseminate information as I can see this platform going the way of MySpace.