• RS MAY CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: Our monthly RS meeting on Wed. May 1st will be held at the Rooney Sports Complex. Details and directions are here. Early start time: 7:00 pm. to take advantage of daylight. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.
    If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

Blind Rivet/Cross Bars on thin Aluminum/ Recommendation Needed

coax

Hard Core 4+
Hi All,
I'm workign to attach a few solar panels onto a new Aliner popup camper. Apparently the SIP's they use for the walls are not really all that structural and also not aluminum.

So my plan is to use some 8020 extruded aluminum and attach these to the side frames of the camper, which are thin (maybe 1/8") aluminum channel. I don't have access to the back of the structure so was thinking of using blind rivets. Anyone have a suggestion for a decent rivet tool? I'll probably need to put in 6 per corner so only 24 rivets total. IE don't need a fancy gun but would like something quality for both the tool and the aluminum rivets. Seems like lots of junk on amazon.

Thanks!

coax

Hard Core 4+
image.jpg

The top portion of the frame is1” wide. Looks like I’ll mount 2 connectors on top and one on the side/end. From manufacturer seems they did a mix of rivets (though cant tell if blind or not) and screws. Thinking that material is too thin for screws--hence leaning towards rivets.