Wanted BJ60 Air Cleaner

Looking to find and/or buy something? Add this prefix to your thread.

KC Masterpiece

Hard Core 4+
I am looking to return the 60 to an OEM carb (have one to rebuild, thanks @Rzeppa) and would like to convert to the non-us air cleaner setup. Photo below.

dsc03505-jpg.1393842

I have sourced the near unobtanium carb hat but am still looking for the rest of the assembly. They are not that hard to find. More interested in condition and price.

Thanks,

Cruisertrash

Rising Sun Member
You and me both buddy! Stock air intake doesn't work so great with dual batteries...

I have heard the FJ62 lower part of the air filter canister will work, but that a different top is required - along with the carb hat of course. You can roll your own on the tube I believe.

DanS

Rising Sun Member
You and me both buddy! Stock air intake doesn't work so great with dual batteries...

I have heard the FJ62 lower part of the air filter canister will work, but that a different top is required - along with the carb hat of course. You can roll your own on the tube I believe.
The FJ62 base absolutely works with 70 and 80 series tops.

Not so much with 40 series air cleaner housings, although maybe an ‘83+ BJ42 housing might work.

But if I were you I’d look for an FJ62 housing, if you can’t find a BJ60 one.

Dan

KC Masterpiece

Hard Core 4+
The FJ62 base absolutely works with 70 and 80 series tops.

Not so much with 40 series air cleaner housings, although maybe an ‘83+ BJ42 housing might work.

But if I were you I’d look for an FJ62 housing, if you can’t find a BJ60 one.

Dan
So if I can source a 62 lower half and an 80 series upper they will live together happily ever after? I will keep an eye out. Those parts may be way easier to source. 80s and 62s being parted out all the time. Then I can drop in the washable filter like we have in the 80.

@Cruisertrash I always roll my own tubes. If you want it done right gotta to it yourself. :smokin:

Cruisertrash

Rising Sun Member
So if I can source a 62 lower half and an 80 series upper they will live together happily ever after? I will keep an eye out. Those parts may be way easier to source. 80s and 62s being parted out all the time. Then I can drop in the washable filter like we have in the 80.

@Cruisertrash I always roll my own tubes. If you want it done right gotta to it yourself. :smokin:
So your plan is:

62 lower air filter housing
80 air filter housing lid
RYO tube
WGG-spec 60 carb hat

Am I getting that right?

KC Masterpiece

Hard Core 4+
So your plan is:

62 lower air filter housing
80 air filter housing lid
RYO tube
WGG-spec 60 carb hat

Am I getting that right?

Yes. If I confirm that is going to work as intended. I need to get a better understanding of exactly what was done with the desmog on this 60. I am just a 2F virgin in a non emissions county looking for a good time. Pretty sure it has the Man A Fre desmog kit and a few other odds and ends installed. Not sure where the headers came from.

WGG?

Cruisertrash

Rising Sun Member
Yes. If I confirm that is going to work as intended. I need to get a better understanding of exactly what was done with the desmog on this 60. I am just a 2F virgin in a non emissions county looking for a good time. Pretty sure it has the Man A Fre desmog kit and a few other odds and ends installed. Not sure where the headers came from.

WGG?
WGG is world group Toyotas. Not JDM, not USDM. “Rest of the world”, non-US spec. That’s where your unobtainium carb hat comes from.

Jim Chenoweth has desmog parts available via his website FYI.

DanS

Rising Sun Member

Yep.

In fact the filter element (washable or not) is the same on the HJ60, HJ61, HJ75, HZJ73, HZJ75, FZJ80, HDJ80, etc….

I’ve got five or six of the filters, for all the trucks in our family that use it.

Dan