Bindings

IanB

Anyone have connects in a ski shop? I need to get a set of bindings mounted today, while I wait if possible.

60wag

Rising Sun Member
Did you go for the AT bindings? As for mounting... just fire up the MIG, zap zap and you're done :)

IanB

60wag said:
Did you go for the AT bindings? As for mounting... just fire up the MIG, zap zap and you're done :)

No AT yet, picked up some phatty powder boards on sale and we have a storm coming :cool:

Hey the mill is up and running btw :thumb:

CardinalFJ60

Rising Sun Member
maybe neptune in S. Boulder?

Whenever I've needed a "rush" mounting or tuning, I bring a 12-pack and bribe the tuner...:thumb:

Rezarf

Hard Core 4+
Ian,

You are meticulously doing the best frame off I have ever seen. Theres gotta be a way for you to mount them up the right way... what gives?

Drew

IanB

Rezarf said:
Ian,

You are meticulously doing the best frame off I have ever seen. Theres gotta be a way for you to mount them up the right way... what gives?

Drew

Special jigs and schtuff.

IanB

CardinalFJ60 said:
Whenever I've needed a "rush" mounting or tuning, I bring a 12-pack and bribe the tuner...:thumb:

1 6-pack of hazed and Infused and the guys at Eldora hooked me up ;)

Phatty powder boards are gtg for tommorow :thumb:

Rezarf

Hard Core 4+
IanB said:

Better track down the jigs for your new mill. :bowdown:

Have fun man, heading to the beach to surf tomorrow.

Drew

wesintl

RS Moderator
IanB said:

I've mounted binding with jigs for years and in a pinch i've done some without a gig at all. You just need to mark the screws and measure everything, I guess it does help to have the right drill bit. :eek: Really the thing most idiot shop guys don't know is to cross drill or thread the screws if you do them in parallel your bindings will be crook'ed anyway.

farnhamstj

Hard Core 4+
To do it yourself you need correct jig $95-$150 wholesale. 3.5x9mm or 4.1x9 (if you got metal in your skis) bit $9 wholesale. Not rocket science but easy to f-up. Better to bribe the tuner with a large volume of cheep beer rather than quality. There are often 4 guys working at once for many hours. 30 packs of PBR will get you everything. Whatever you do do not use ATOMIC bindings they SUCK.... Heel pieces last about 30 days at best, then they start to release at much lower than spec. They are the only binding I've ever seen fail right out of the box. If you own them, I'm sorry. I'd rather drive a 87 Wranger than use Atomic binders.

IanB

farnhamstj said:
To do it yourself you need correct jig $95-$150 wholesale. 3.5x9mm or 4.1x9 (if you got metal in your skis) bit $9 wholesale. Not rocket science but easy to f-up. Better to bribe the tuner with a large volume of cheep beer rather than quality. There are often 4 guys working at once for many hours. 30 packs of PBR will get you everything. Whatever you do do not use ATOMIC bindings they SUCK.... Heel pieces last about 30 days at best, then they start to release at much lower than spec. They are the only binding I've ever seen fail right out of the box. If you own them, I'm sorry. I'd rather drive a 87 Wranger than use Atomic binders.

I got the Tyrolia's with the side release action, might save a knee one day :confused:

wesintl

RS Moderator
IanB said:
I got the Tyrolia's with the side release action, might save a knee one day :confused:

:lmao: :lmao: Those 490's were the shit man!

Too bad there is no upward release in the toe. :hill: So now your knee is back to be fawked :lmao: at least you won't come out of them cranked down to 14 :) I'll stick to salomon with the metal heel so the spring doesn't blow out the back:grinpimp: I still need to upgrade my thermoplastic boots before the toe rips off and you can see the holes in my tube socks :lol:

IanB

wesintl said:
:lmao: :lmao: Those 490's were the shit man!

Too bad there is no upward release in the toe. :hill: So now your knee is back to be fawked :lmao: at least you won't come out of them cranked down to 14 :) I'll stick to salomon with the metal heel so the spring doesn't blow out the back:grinpimp: I still need to upgrade my thermoplastic boots before the toe rips off and you can see the holes in my tube socks :lol:

I have these

farnhamstj

Hard Core 4+
Nothing makes me laugh more when the guy with old red nordica rear entry boots comes in, wants to rent new bad ass skis. I "suggest he demos" some boots also. He insists he'll use his old boots. Spends $35 for the skis, Spends $85 for the lift ticket. Puts on his boots, walks 30ft and the front half of the boot falls off in the parking lot. I had a guy break one on the way to the lift and one on the way back to the shop. I always want to say "I told you"
If your skis are old and crappy, and you got your boots at the same time as the skis, that would make your boots......