Bill Moore Lake 11/16

Crash

Rising Sun Member
A beautiful day in the hills above Empire that ended way too soon. Dean was running 34x10.50 Swamper TSLs for the first time and was just getting used to the newfound traction and getting the air pressure dialed in when a motor mount decided to let go. Earlier, we had fallen in behind a mixed bag group of 10 or more trucks that wanted to stop every 1/4 mile or so and, being in the trees we couldn't get around them. Finally broke out of the trees towards the middle section of Bill Moore and were able to get around the once again stopped group. Dean had just successfully climbed a steep and snowy section, to his surprise I believe, when he noticed some bad vibrations from the drivetrain causing us to stop and let the large group by. :eek: The broken motor mount was quickly diagnosed and we headed back down towards Empire. We took our time and enjoyed lunch and everyone, dogs included, spent time exploring back down in the woods. The ladies found an old leanto frame that was sort of interesting - if trees could talk. The gate at Conqueror Mine was open so we explored around there for a bit too. We were surprised that there wasn't more snow but we didn't get all of the way to the top of the trail so perhaps there was more to be found higher up. We had fun and everyone made it back home safely and Dean has another project to add to his list.

Attachments

• DeanTree.jpg
    DeanTree.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 380
  • Purchase.jpg
    Purchase.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 370
  • Done.jpg
    Done.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 368
  • Smile.jpg
    Smile.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 370
  • Tree.jpg
    Tree.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 376

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
A beautiful day in the hills above Empire that ended way too soon. Dean was running 34x10.50 Swamper TSLs for the first time and was just getting used to the newfound traction and getting the air pressure dialed in when a motor mount decided to let go.

Looks like a fun day (aside from the breakage) :)

Is Dean's truck heavy enough to flex those Swampers? I've had mine down to 0 psi on my 40 and you can't visibly tell there's no air in them. :hill:

Crash

Rising Sun Member
Good question Martin. Dean started the day out by airing down to 20psi and soon found the traction great but the ride still bumpy. Next drop was to 15psi and he claimed the ride was less bumpy and I could see a little bit of flex when the tire had to climb over a rock. Make that very little. He was going to go to 10psi but didn't get the chance with the breakage. I kidded him that he should pull some vacuum on the tires so he would for sure get some flexing. I doubt, but don't know, that his truck is any heavier than a 40. DaveInDenver, can you give us an estimate of the relative weights of a Hilux vs. a 40?

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
They are a very stiff sidewall, but I still like them. I'll probably go with a 31x9.50 TSL radial on my mini when the current tires wear out.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
estimate of the relative weights of a Hilux
My truck weighs about 4,400 lbs just me, otherwise stripped, no armor or WilderNest. That was based on a landscaping materials scale years ago. I'd used the truck to get a few loads of soil and Pavestones. As an aside, a 6' Hilux bed's worth of topsoil filled to just above the bed rails weighs about 1,000 lbs.

So as built and with a typical outfit I've estimated our kerb weight at 6,200 lbs roughly and that's been pretty close the couple of times I had a chance to get on a scale. That includes the ARB bull bar, sliders, Budbuilt plates, 'Nest, full complement of tools and gear, fridge, 10 gallons of water, camping equipment, two passengers and one fluffy dog.

I'd estimate Dean's 1980 on your weekend trip to be about 5,200 lbs.

RockRunner

Hard Core 4+
Looks like the doggies enjoyed the day;)

Wish we could have made it out too, the doggies would have loved it.:thumb: