Bill Burke Trail Leadership Training Report

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
Day two is about to commence. Day one was drinking from a firehose! After a morning inside in class, we gathered nearby and headed to the outdoor classroom. We explored various terrain, stopped for discussion, and then the rain came in. We got lessons in driving in goop. Later we gathered to grill burgers and brats and get treated to Camel Trophy stories. Stay tuned for day two!

IMG_8045.JPG
IMG_8050.JPG
IMG_8052.JPG
IMG_8080.JPG
IMG_8084.JPG
IMG_8089.JPG
IMG_8091.JPG
IMG_8092.JPG
IMG_8094.JPG
IMG_8104.JPG

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
What a fun weekend, thanks for including me gents. The Camel Trophy slide show was a real treat.

BTW, all the guys stayed in GJ Sunday night, so no one was stuck trying to get around the avalanche on I-70 in Officer's Gulch. As of 0945 Daniel and Jeff (APRS stations) are moving and have gotten at least to Silverthrone.

Last edited:

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Back at work... we left at 04:00 and were in Denver by 8:30, only minor issues to drive around on the highway.. hopefully the next wave gets through without much delay.

Mendocino

RS Chapter Eternal
Gone But
Not Forgotten
I brought my wife and two kids and our 200 and 100. Everyone drove and had a great time. Bill is a great guy and has an encyclopedic knowledge of his subject. We had a great time cooking at Bill's place and got some great insight into the Camel Trophy 1991. Overall, this was a great experience and all the Hamilton's had a blast. The RS crew that went out was fantastic and all got on well. I'm honored to be affiliated with such great people.

Attachments

• 895BA826-B60B-4068-90DB-A88A7ED98192.jpeg
    895BA826-B60B-4068-90DB-A88A7ED98192.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 238
  • 84F1E4DA-A127-43C9-BF42-F33316BD5382.jpeg
    84F1E4DA-A127-43C9-BF42-F33316BD5382.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 225
  • DD43C50F-8E78-4C96-8AEC-A8F4DB277E13.jpeg
    DD43C50F-8E78-4C96-8AEC-A8F4DB277E13.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 294

rover67

Rising Sun Member
Had a blast and learned a lot. What a neat opportunity with great folks.

The Camel Trophy stuff was pretty neat!

Couple shots of Bill (opening scene!), and the rollover at the river. This is a shorter video. Fun to see the rollover after the explanation:

Long version that I haven't watched, Bill still in a different opening scene:

60wag

Rising Sun Member
With all that weight on the roof, its no surprise the trucks roll so easily. Good videos.

Stuckinthe80s

Rising Sun Member
Staff member
I brought my wife and two kids and our 200 and 100. Everyone drove and had a great time. Bill is a great guy and has an encyclopedic knowledge of his subject. We had a great time cooking at Bill's place and got some great insight into the Camel Trophy 1991. Overall, this was a great experience and all the Hamilton's had a blast. The RS crew that went out was fantastic and all got on well. I'm honored to be affiliated with such great people.

Jeff, you definitely have a family to be proud of! All of them did an excellent job driving both of your rigs and it was really cool to the whole bunch enjoy it so much!

Jameson

Rising Sun Member
What a fun weekend, thanks for including me gents. The Camel Trophy slide show was a real treat.

BTW, all the guys stayed in GJ Sunday night, so no one was stuck trying to get around the avalanche on I-70 in Officer's Gulch. As of 0945 Daniel and Jeff (APRS stations) are moving and have gotten at least to Silverthrone.

Hey Dave - thanks again for riding along with me and for sharing your knowledge!

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Well my crew had an excellent time... I enjoyed the ride out & back with Andy & Marco as much as anything, and of course the Karaoke antics didn't disappoint either. Not sure I learned anything super new or revolutionary, but it was great hearing some of the things I had heard before be reinforced by such a well regarded source, a lot of validation there. I also picked up a few new ways to describe things, which I will likely adopt in future trails. Was well worth the time away and the cost, only drag was the bonus night in GJ on Sunday due to highway closures, but aw well.. has made for a fast week here. Few pics from my side:

IMG_1995.jpg
IMG_2008.jpg
IMG_2017.jpg
IMG_2022.jpg
IMG_2027.jpg
IMG_2029.jpg
IMG_2030.jpg
IMG_2032.jpg

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Also somehow I bent my skiplate down. yeah down, not up... I don't remember hitting anything, in fact most of the track was all mud. I was the lowest truck though, so when there were ruts I was cutting it down a little.. must have been on Sunday.

The grayish mud is from Saturday, over by the airport. Sunday's mud a little more red, and of course the icing on top is I-70. This weekend we'll get to the carwash..

IMG_2040.jpg

Mendocino

RS Chapter Eternal
Gone But
Not Forgotten
Also somehow I bent my skiplate down. yeah down, not up... I don't remember hitting anything, in fact most of the track was all mud. I was the lowest truck though, so when there were ruts I was cutting it down a little.. must have been on Sunday.

The grayish mud is from Saturday, over by the airport. Sunday's mud a little more red, and of course the icing on top is I-70. This weekend we'll get to the carwash..

View attachment 78211
Maybe the bend up was Jake!?

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Well doubtful, but would be kinda funny if so. ask him if he hit something! :lmao:

And good/bad is I can just bend it back up by hand, it's kinda thin by skid plate standards. Better than the cardboard stuff the 100's got though.

LXBRADY

Hard Core 4+
Tim, well said. I felt the same way last year when I took the BB course. My crew, Hurley and Volmer had a great time....they even tried to get me to karaoke.

Brady don't Karaoke!

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Well doubtful, but would be kinda funny if so. ask him if he hit something! :lmao:

And good/bad is I can just bend it back up by hand, it's kinda thin by skid plate standards. Better than the cardboard stuff the 100's got though.
Are the skid plates the same on the GX as the 4Runner or Tacoma? If so I still have my stock plates if they would help. Or maybe I should sell the 4 million pound 3/16" plate I have and go back to stock...

AimCOTaco

Cruise Moab Committee
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee