• RS MAY CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: Our monthly RS meeting on Wed. May 1st will be held at the Rooney Sports Complex. Details and directions are here. Early start time: 7:00 pm. to take advantage of daylight. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.
    If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

Bill Burke Cruise Moab trail leader training: April 2-3, 2022 grand junction, co

DomOfTheDead

Event Coordinator
Cruise Moab Committee
Hey everyone,
This is for our 2nd Bill Burke class for 2022
Topic: Cruise Moab trail leader training
If you are leading a trail at Cruise Moab, this will help prepare you for different dynamics you might encounter. Group management, communication, spotting, health and safety, driver and vehicle assessment are just some of the topics Bill will cover.
Typically, the morning of each day is indoors for discussion, afternoon is outside for hands on, weather permitting

Where: masonic lodge in grand junction, co
Class size is limited to 10 trucks and 20 students
Class cost will depend on number of students, more than 10 students brings the price each less than $115
Covid protocols are in place, please wear a mask indoors
Be prepared for variables in weather, make sure to bring warm layers and gloves are a must have
LOOKING INTO LOCAL LODGING OPTIONS IS RECOMMENDED. THE GRAND VISTA HOTEL IS A POPULAR OPTION, NOT FAR FROM THE MASONIC LODGE. NEAR THE GRAND VISTA IS OCTOPUS COFFEE, A GOOD CHOICE FOR BREAKFAST IMO
More details will be posted as they develop

Attendees
1. @DomOfTheDead driver
2. @Yarn Runner. Co driver
3. @ChevyKeith driver
4. @ChevyKeith co driver
5. @FireMike driver
6. @3rdGen4R co pilot
7. @Eyepain
8. @MonPetiteShoe
9. Sara petiteshoe

Last edited:

jps8460

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
This is awesome sauce!

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
I cannot attend because I already had plans that week end, but I want to urge anyone even considering, to attend.

As I wrote for the "sexier" sounding "recovery class"
  • Bill https://bb4wa.com/ wants to work with Rising Sun and Wasatch members and gives the club a great deal because he knows we will in turn give back to the community and pass this knowledge along. What you learn at this weekend may even save a life.
  • Bill founded the www.i4wdta.org to institutionalize his knowledge, add the knowledge of others, and trail even recreational 4-Wheelers to a professional standard. Robbie @powderpig was the first club member who received i4wdta certification as a trainer. Jackson @jps8460 was certified last year, as was good friend and friend of the club Kurt Williams (www.cruiseroutfitters.com). At least one other I4WDTA certified trainer is scheduled to co-lead the course. You will love him too.
  • TRavis @baja1d set up the first club training with Bill in 2016. It opened my eyes to a whole other realm related to "wheeling". If you read the description in Travis' thread, you will get the sense of the responsibility we take on when out on the trail, whether with our families and friend, or leading a club run here or at Cruise Moab.
  • You will leave the class better equipped for whatever you encounter. Senior club members will help pass on institutional knowledge about why Rising Sun does things the way it does add there will be plenty of sharing of war stories. If we get lucky we may be treated to some Camel Trophy stories from Bill.
Now, why would I say the EXACT same thing about Trail Leader Training that I did about Recovery Training?
  • Its far more boring and far more effective to not need recovery in the first place
  • The first rule of recovery, first responders, emergency response, disaster response if to avoid getting yourself and others in the dangerous scenario
  • EVERY time you go on the trail YOU are a trail leader. Whether solo, in the middle of a group, or leading a group - and that group can be your family, friends, club members, or the inexperienced person you encounter freaking out on a trail who asks to follow you out (it happens more often than you think). You are a trail leader.
What will you get trained in? I don't know this year's syllabus, but in the past there has been:
  • Preparations
  • Pre-trip talk / driver's meeting
  • Trail etiquette
  • Convoy Rules
  • 4WD systems
  • Simulated first aid scenarios
  • You WILL HAVE FUN too!
  • You probably will leave with some of Bill's great printed materials.
If you have any questions - post up!
Bill always welcomes topic requests
If you don't know why you want to be in the class, ask!

DomOfTheDead

Event Coordinator
Cruise Moab Committee

3rdGen4R

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
I’ve changed my mind to attend this class instead of the other. I did the class last year and I think I’d get more out of this one. Will you take me off the one in March and put me into this one!

I’ll be by flying there and if anyone wants to go down in a airplane and around the mountains we can work something out.

Thanks!

DomOfTheDead

Event Coordinator
Cruise Moab Committee
I’d like to attend. Does it matter that I won’t be at Cruise Moab?
Officially, this class is for Cruise Moab trail leaders but at this point, we have space available in the class for you. If the class fills up and we have CM trail leaders on the wait list, we might have to bump you to the wait list. Let me know if this is ok.

Eyepain

Rising Sun Member
Officially, this class is for Cruise Moab trail leaders but at this point, we have space available in the class for you. If the class fills up and we have CM trail leaders on the wait list, we might have to bump you to the wait list. Let me know if this is ok.
Understood.

MonPetiteShoe

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
You can throw Sara and myself on that list. We probably won't be leading any trails past being a dust collector, so we can take the bump if needed. If there's slots, we're gon git our learn on. Nah'mean?
Thanks for putting this together Dom.

Last edited:

FireMike

Rising Sun Member
Just curious if we're actually gonna need our land cruisers or how much working with the vehicle specifically? I may bring my Taco as it gets twice the mileage.

DomOfTheDead

Event Coordinator
Cruise Moab Committee
Just curious if we're actually gonna need our land cruisers or how much working with the vehicle specifically? I may bring my Taco as it gets twice the mileage.
Bring your taco. I will be bringing my taco for both classes (provided I fix it in time) as it has better mileage and I can actually pass other cars on I70 instead of being passed by everyone in my 80.

DomOfTheDead

Event Coordinator
Cruise Moab Committee
@DomOfTheDead I’m going to have to back out Dom. Something came up with the kids that I can’t bail on. I appreciate this opportunity and hopefully I’ll get another chance!
Ok no worries but to clairify, this thread is for trail leader training and I have you down for the recovery class, are you not able to make the recovery class?

Cruisertrash

Rising Sun Member
Ok no worries but to clairify, this thread is for trail leader training and I have you down for the recovery class, are you not able to make the recovery class?
Shoot, sorry man, I mixed them up. Yes - my message was regarding the recovery class.

DomOfTheDead

Event Coordinator
Cruise Moab Committee
Last edited: