72.5 KB · Views: 326

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
No way, that's sweet!! :bowdown:

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Oooo... Africa Twin... :homer:

BTW, our own Tramontana has a Tiger. Not sure of its state of repair currently...

60wag

Rising Sun Member
I got to see a Tiger in action at the Walden Moose Rally last year. What a cool bike.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
They are cool but they have their inherent limitations. So is and so do the TransAlps. They coulda been so much more! If only the mfgs had pursued the niche.

KTM certainly did and pulled it off well, both harder core off road in 900+cc, and road/trail in same.

KTM-990-Adventure-R_001.jpg

141_1009_00_ih+141_1009_ktm_950_se_riding_impression+right_side_profile.jpg

Beater

Hard Core 4+
I have a line on a well maintained ktm adv 9 for 5900. too rich for my blood right now. pm if anyone wants contact information. It's in the springs. Co-workers ride.

j

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
Wow! How did you get an Africa Twin legally and from where? I've always lusted after one of those. Still looking for a 40? Maybe a trade?

Jenny Cruiser

Hard Core 4+
I bought it in France. I'm riding it home to CO next week to register it. :woot:

Jenny Cruiser

Hard Core 4+
It all depends on the state. TN is a little harder than CO. They title everything here and speak in a funny accent. I have a 17 digit VIN so it's doable. I'll find out for sure when I get there next week. :pirate:

They come up for sale stateside from time to time. I've got the number of a guy in AZ that has a nice 03 in red and white somewhere. He's asking near 10K for it though.:eek:

I'm keeping mine. :)

Bikeman

Hard Core 4+
I gots me recently my second Honda XR400, a 2001. I had a 1998 as well, and was sorry I sold it about 10 years ago. The bike is street legal. I look forward to start taking it out this spring. It's at my bike shop getting the last of the check-over done, including performing the valve adjustments soon before we get busy.

I've had a 1982 XR500, a 1996 KTM 500EXC, and the 2 XR's.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Hey Mike, why did you get rid of the KTM? Too big? Just curious, since that seems to be the rage right now.

Bikeman

Hard Core 4+
Hey Mike, why did you get rid of the KTM? Too big? Just curious, since that seems to be the rage right now.

It was eating water pump seals, side case was corroding, had a crack in the cylinder that was welded up, the Deloroto carb had a worn out slide, etc. I took the $800 (back years ago) and ran. Ooops, it was a 1986 model know that I think about it:hill:.

Maybe we should organize a RS event sometime. I am getting back into things as my life gets turned around...

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Mm...KTM 950 Super Enduro...:drool:

farnhamstj

Hard Core 4+
I had a 950 Adventure last summer. For my lifestyle a 450 is a better choice. You have to ride a 950 for a long time for it to be fun. I much prefer dirt to pavement. I usually get 4 hours max to go ride. Plated 450 KTM is about my ideal bike.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
A 950 would be ideal for me if cost wasn't a factor... because I have an XR650 for 80/20 dirt/street, but not distance, and a KDX220 for pure dirt. Think, ride to Rabbit Valley, then do the Kokopelli, then ride the LaSals and back home. The Buell is... Okay. Fireroads is about as dirty as it likes. No way would it do much of Koko. The 950 would have been a better fit in retrospect.

Of course it came out right after I bought the Buell... :doh:

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Just wanted to say that I'm definitely pleased with the responses & quality of posts here in the new motorcycle area, thanks guys for participating I have learned a ton this past week.

Maybe some wondered why a 4x4 club would even want to do have a motorcycle section, since Rising Sun is all about Toyota 4x4's with low range right? Yes and no.. I think we all realize that the lines between users of our roads and trails are very blurry at best.. in fact we all share the trail every day, beginning with backing out of our own driveways. Plus, it's pretty clear that the hobby of Toyota low-ranging is only one tiny piece of the greater hobby of outdoor recreation, which I think you'd agree is what we all have in common. Mountain bikes, hiking, skiing, boating, photography, guns, motorcycles, fabrication, mechanical tinkering.. yes we all have at least some level of interest in every one of those, and while everyone's bar graph may look a little different, I think you can all agree on that point.

So why the reflective blog? just the acknowledgement of how cool it is to learn about new things from the group you came to know through Toyotas. thanks, guys. :beer:

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Motorcycles are the reason I am into Toyota 4x4s in fact... it became a way to include my family. Motorcycles are more solo. Now that the family has moved on... 4x4s are still fun.

It does depend on the group though. Looking forward to the next Rising Sun Moto Run!

Hey Nakman, if you wanna hit Rampart sometime I've been known to be a fair teacher of skilz. And I don't mind and am not surprised when the student becomes the master...

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Hey Nakman, if you wanna hit Rampart sometime I've been known to be a fair teacher of skilz. And I don't mind and am not surprised when the student becomes the master...

Yeah that would be great Bill! After Moab..