• ColoYota Expo: swap meet + show and shine. Saturday, May 11 from 10 am - 2 pm
    Get Details & Register Now!
    . Only $5 to attend (no additional charge to participate in the swap meet).

Hey Guest, we need volunteers to help run the event. Please sign up here.

Best handheld?

OK so I may give in a get a 2M radio, but do not have the room for more stuff. I will not be trying to call Grand Junction or anything, only to communicate on the trail better with you guys.
What handheld would be recommended? External antenna?

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Sorry Gary, but even the cheapest handheld will easily communicate with Grand Junction.. :)

Check out hamcity http://www.hamcity.com/, lots of guys have the VX-7r, I think VX-3r is probably good too. As a club we tend to lean towards Yaesu products for some reason, over Kenwood, etc. If you get a single band, make sure it's 2m (144 MHz) since that's what will be used most commonly on trail runs. 2nd most popular band for trail use is probably going to be 70cm (440MHz) and most of the handhelds out there will be dual band 144/440 which is definitely all you'll need for strictly trail use and around town.

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Guess I better make some friends over there.
Thanks for the info.
G

Gary,
Check Craigslist and other local ads! I scored my near new Yaesu VX-7r with extra battery for $150 at a local Pawn Shop. Guy said they had it for a while and no one knew what it was! I won't support thieves! I got a certificate signed by the Lafayette PD that it was checked by data base and not ever reported stolen.

Might get lucky!

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
UB got a screaming deal on his VX-7R. That's a great radio, but honestly if you are buying something new (or not getting that sort of deal), it's over kill. The 220MHz is only 300mW and 6m handheld is not going to do well. IOW, I wouldn't spend the money on a HT with anything other than 2m and higher frequencies. But in full disclosure, I have a VX-7R... Never used the 6m part, though the SW receive is nice to listen to at camp. It works pretty OK with a 25' wire strung up between a couple of trees.

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
I just got a like new VX-7R off the craigslist for $180. Man there are a lot of functions, should help me learn this stuff better as I won't have to go out to the truck to use it. Want to see if the stock ant can reach the repeater.