• RS MAY CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: Our monthly RS meeting on Wed. May 1st will be held at the Rooney Sports Complex. Details and directions are here. Early start time: 7:00 pm. to take advantage of daylight. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.
    If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

Back-up Light signal source in cab for reverse lights and cameras

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
For a US Spec 1993 FZJ80, a good place to tap the reverse light circuit is in the driver's side kick-panel.

I found no good photos or great description about where precisely to find this back-up light signal source in cab for reverse lights (my project) and backup cameras (many others asked). (Many words added here to aid search.) :cheers:

(Thread I started at ih8mud is HERE)

Once I found the connector, it was easy to find the wire and connect it to my switch. I'm using a single pole double throw (SPDT) switch so my roof rack rear facing lights can be on with Reverse, off, or on (for camp setup or area light).I found no good photos or great description about where to find a back-up light signal source in cab for reverse lights (my project) and cameras (many others asked).

Photo 1: Tip of screwdriver shows pin on male connector.
Photo 2: closeup (I highlighted the pin in black). Wire out the back of the male connector is red with black stripe.
Photo 3: This is the female side after pin removed. I added a black mark. In my hand is the modified pin.
Photo 4: Close up of female side connector.
Photo 5: Close up of modified pin. I merely soldered a small wire to the back, then sanded it smooth and low profile. Wire needs to be small and low profile to fit back into the connector.
Photo 6: Modified pin with blue wire re-inserted into connector

That's it. Now you have a source for +12V when the gearshift is in reverse.

Attachments

• DSC09990.jpg
    DSC09990.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 1,157
  • DSC09982.jpg
    DSC09982.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 1,112
  • DSC09980.jpg
    DSC09980.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 1,032
  • DSC09979.jpg
    DSC09979.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 970
  • DSC09984.jpg
    DSC09984.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 949
  • DSC09993.jpg
    DSC09993.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 949

LARGEONE

Rising Sun Member
Daniel...this is awesome! I was thinking the same thing for my rear/backup lights! Do you have a picture of the switch you plan to use? Or, a link?

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
Daniel...this is awesome! I was thinking the same thing for my rear/backup lights! Do you have a picture of the switch you plan to use? Or, a link?

Its a small round SPST rocker Shawn Cardinal got on Amazon. Cheap ones. This spot (bottom left) worked especially well since it is not likely to be bumped.

Second photo is the lights.

Attachments

• DSC09994.jpg
    DSC09994.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 888
  • DSC09998.jpg
    DSC09998.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 1,014