• UPDATED LOCATION DUE TO FORECAST OF RAIN: MAY 2024 CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: The next RS meeting will be Wednesday, May 1, 2024 at 7:30 p.m. The meeting will be held indoors at the fabulous Golden Gate Canyon Grange. Click here for directions. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.

⦿ If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

Automatic Transmission shifting funny

kurtnkegger

Rising Sun Member
My HDJ81 started shifting irregular. Shifts at 2500+ RPM, only goes through 3rd gear and doesn’t shift to OD. Just started today “out of the blue”. I checked fluid level, and shows too much, so have to take a little out.

Automatic transmissions are a confusing thing to me how they magically shift. Looking for some insight before taking it in somewhere.

Thanks

SteveH

Hard Core 4+
Not sure what era this all is, but on A440s in FJ62s, the kickdown cable must be properly adjusted and moving freely, and when not adjusted correctly, can result in symptoms like yours. Be sure any mechanical linkages/connections are operating smoothly.

kurtnkegger

Rising Sun Member
Thanks for the reply, Steve. I guess I left out vital information, like, it’s a 1992, with a A442F transmission

E5D41907-DFA2-4846-A99A-C5C433B95D54.jpeg

SteveH

Hard Core 4+
A442 (maybe that's what I meant) = Then it likely has the cable. Much good info on Mud. The kickdown cable adjustment is fairly precise. I played with mine and ran it at the extreme ends of the adjustment range, and it affected shifting (shift points, really) at both ends. But, if the cable isn't moving freely, that can add a new dimension.

kurtnkegger

Rising Sun Member
Perfect diagnosis Steve. After a little research on the interwebs, I knew what to look for. After opening the hood, and located the cable, it was stuck pulled out. I lubed it up with some silicone spray and got it moving freely. I had to run it through the gears manually around the block, but the transmission started shifting normally again.

The stuck cable explains why the symptoms sprung up so quickly.

Thanks for your help, Steve!

rover67

Rising Sun Member
Phew that's a relief! I had to adjust it on our FZJ80 also. I was literally just about to chime in and mention that. It would be real lazy on the shifts until I adjusted it as it was supposed to be.

60wag

Rising Sun Member
I've been reading about 80 series transmissions. I think the 1993-1994 had the A442F which is hydraulically controlled. The 1995-1997 had the A343F trans which is electronically controlled. On the A442F, the kickdown cable actually is a kickdown cable that affects shift points. On the A343F the cable actually controls the hydraulic pressure in the trans. Adjusting that cable won't affect the shift points but will change how hard the clutches engage when it does shift.

rover67

Rising Sun Member
huh interesting, my cable adjustment changed the shifting. weird. maybe it was slipping?