(Attempt 2.0) 2nd Annual Red Cone Night Run. Friday July 28th, 2023.

HoneyBadger

Rising Sun Member
Since last night's run was a bust due to catastrophic fuel system failure on a certain 80 series Land Cruiser.... :ROFLMAO:

I'm going to see if there's any interest in making a second attempt.

I'm thinking Friday, August 11th. Same time for roll out, 7:00 PM at the trailhead.

Might put a moratorium on 80's :ROFLMAO: Just kidding.

bh4rnnr

Outlaw, Scoundrel, Miscreant
Insky! Hopefully 4runner is fixed by then!

:beer: :beer:

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Maybe??

HoneyBadger

Rising Sun Member
Details! (of the 80)
It just stalled out. Everything smelled like gas, but there wasn't any gas leaking. We vented the gas tank. It hissed for a long time. Also the area around the gas cap was really hot. So I don't know what that's about.
Could never get it to start again, so we had to tow it down.

hitchhiker

Rising Sun Member
Details! (of the 80)
Currently the culprit is assumed to be the fusible link. It came disconnected from the battery and I am in the process of replacing it at the moment.

Andrew

Rock Stacker
Was this 80 the white one going up towards Eisenhower last night? I was heading down 70, and caught a glance at it last second, felt bad I almost turned around to go back up and see if I could help in any way, but I was running my 80 on fumes and couldn’t tell if he was broken down or just pulled off

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
It just stalled out. Everything smelled like gas, but there wasn't any gas leaking. We vented the gas tank. It hissed for a long time. Also the area around the gas cap was really hot. So I don't know what that's about.
Could never get it to start again, so we had to tow it down.

Currently the culprit is assumed to be the fusible link. It came disconnected from the battery and I am in the process of replacing it at the moment.
Dang - sorry I was not there to assist.
@hitchhiker holler if you want to do any diagnosing.

FYI, always possible to carefully sub in a wire to test/bypass a fusible link and get off the trail.
Gas smell was almost certainly just what 80's do at altitude on hot days.

hitchhiker

Rising Sun Member
Was this 80 the white one going up towards Eisenhower last night? I was heading down 70, and caught a glance at it last second, felt bad I almost turned around to go back up and see if I could help in any way, but I was running my 80 on fumes and couldn’t tell if he was broken down or just pulled off
Wasn’t me here’s the photo taken shortly before it all went down

Attachments

• IMG_4620.jpeg
    IMG_4620.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 57

Andrew

Rock Stacker
Wasn’t me here’s the photo taken shortly before it all went down

Bummer! Sorry to hear that. Nice looking 80 though. My 80 did something similar while exploring in Canyonlands solo this summer. Mine stalled under heavy load and would not restart. Fortunately was able to trace it back to the fuel pump relay and I had a spare one I was able to swap in. I would take a look at that if you haven’t checked already. Good luck!

hitchhiker

Rising Sun Member
Bummer! Sorry to hear that. Nice looking 80 though. My 80 did something similar while exploring in Canyonlands solo this summer. Mine stalled under heavy load and would not restart. Fortunately was able to trace it back to the fuel pump relay and I had a spare one I was able to swap in. I would take a look at that if you haven’t checked already. Good luck!
Luckily I fixed it today with some help from my fellow RS members. Maybe now this means @TheHoneyBadger will let me try it again....

Bucket

New-ish
Luckily I fixed it today with some help from my fellow RS members. Maybe now this means @TheHoneyBadger will let me try it again....
Was it the fusible link? I carry a spare in my glove box but I’m new to 80’s and I wasn’t sure if they actually go bad like people say…

HoneyBadger

Rising Sun Member

hitchhiker

Rising Sun Member
Was it the fusible link? I carry a spare in my glove box but I’m new to 80’s and I wasn’t sure if they actually go bad like people say…
Yup that was the culprit it came off the battery and the connectors were super corroded replaced those and it runs fine

HoneyBadger

Rising Sun Member
Yup that was the culprit it came off the battery and the connectors were super corroded replaced those and it runs fine
OMG.
Something so simple, yet we were about to tear apart the whole fuel system. 🤣

Bucket

New-ish
Meanwhile I was motoring up the trail 30 minutes in front of you with the spare part you needed in my glove box? And tuned to GMRS 22 no less (the original channel posted here before it changed to 16)

MountainGoat

Club Treasurer
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Is Webster Pass open yet? Doing Red Cone next Thursday.
From bushducks.com:

7/27/23 - Courtesy of regular trail-status contributor, Josh B. :)
- Webster Pass is now fully OPEN for 2023 from the Montezuma side thru to the Grant side and vice versa.
- A small group of volunteers got stuck into removing the massive cornice on the top of Handcart Gulch this morning. That expanded to more willing volunteers, some simply passing by, putting their backs into it until initially dirt bikes, then SxS's, then eventually full sized rigs getting through. What an achievement people. People power at 12,098 ft. ! Enjoy the fruits of their thoughtful labour, everyone. :)