• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

ATRAC + Locker(s)

jps8460

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Great stuff in this thread. I don’t have anything useful to add. I’ve done about 1/2 of the trails in red in a 200 with a 2” lift 32’s and only ATRAC. Taking your time and picking good lines will net you more skill and a happier truck 99% of the time.

More gas money = more trips to play

RayRay27

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
@ErikM Here's a great video by the guys at Dirt Everyday. It's not a apples to apples comparison because they're driving a tundra and you have a 100 series but it points out that all you really need is decent tires and ATRAC to tackle just about any terrain. If you skip to the 11 minute mark it shows them driving up Hells Gate in a stock TRD Pro with no issues at all.

3rdGen4R

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
@ErikM I'd go full OCD when it comes to a lift. I have been wheeling 20 years and 240,000 miles in that 80 you saw Saturday with a simple bolt-on Old Man Emu (OME) 2" lift and OME shocks. I can run all but the absolute hardest Moab trails and still cruise the speed limit to Baja and back no problem.

I have factory lockers, I like lockers, I rarely "need" them.

I don't know that shop, but the first modification should be the nut behind the wheel (the driver). I run about the same tire size as you mention. I cannot speak to the particulars of lifting a 4Runner but my resources for a 4Runne would be Toytec and Cruiser Outfitters - people who know quirks. Many jeep guys just bolt crap on and hope it works. If not, they bolt on more. Maybe your shop is an expert, I don't know. 3" is a lot of lift.
ToyTec is a absolutely horrible brand. No offense. That was my first lift, I would stay away.

AlpineAccess

Hard Core 4+
Had a Toytec Boss lift on my FJ Cruiser and it was fantastic over the 20k I drove it before selling the vehicle. It may be the vehicle or line of lifts, but just pitching another experience in the hat.

3rdGen4R

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Had a Toytec Boss lift on my FJ Cruiser and it was fantastic over the 20k I drove it before selling the vehicle. It may be the vehicle or line of lifts, but just pitching another experience in the hat.
How much did you wheel with that 20k? My issue wasn’t a one off issue, once I had it happen I searched the forums and the problem was everywhere to be seen, and ToyTec wouldn’t take responsibility.

AlpineAccess

Hard Core 4+
How much did you wheel with that 20k? My issue wasn’t a one off issue, once I had it happen I searched the forums and the problem was everywhere to be seen, and ToyTec wouldn’t take responsibility.
Over the 20k I'd say probably no more than 300 miles on trails (tops), between 500 to 1k washboard/unimproved roads? I did beat the suspension pretty hard on trails.

It held up a lot better than the tough dog stuff I have on the land cruiser right now, that's for sure! And pretty sad, too.