article about old Colorado bands

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
My friend Hans showed me this last night at band practice... such a blast from the past! https://thehardtimes.net/music/15-b...it-despite-all-the-states-damn-dirty-hippies/

short review is I know that first band Angel Hair, the guy in the pic singing is Sonny, who before that was the singer in a band called Savalas. When Savalas broke up, and after my band Small Dog Frenzy broke up, I joined their drummer Sean and guitarist Bob Rob and we had a band called Llamas Nova.. didn't last long, but we had some cool jams.

I played a ton of shows with Christie Front Drive... heck we used to tour with them locally. that major label story is actually true, I've got another story about Jimmy Eat World playing a party at my house on the hill in Boulder. we called it lalapolivingroom. and yeah, that's me on the bass here... Hans was the drummer.
sma.jpg

The only notable band missing from the article is The Fluid, IMO. We used to see them play a ton at Quigley's on CU campus, which was later named to club156. They were just as big as Nirvana way back when, at least to us... before Nevermind came out.

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Colorado coolness! I missed this whole scene because I was in Chicago listening to other great local bands (including a few like Uncle Tupelo that eventually got semi-popular).

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
If you really want to get into this, you can actually buy a book that Bob & Sonny made. There are stories of all of these bands in there...

ColoCrew_final.jpg

and if you know me really well, you could possibly ask to borrow my copy sometime. I have both volumes...

Johnny Utah

Rising Sun Member
This is awesome Tim! Great article, brings back memories!

I remember seeing the Gamits a few times back in the day. I was seeing bands at club 156, mercury cafe, and the raven. Probably other small clubs that I can’t remember. Chris Fogal is now in a band with my old drummer and childhood friend Dan Fox.
Dan runs Black in Bluhm Records in Denver.
Chris and Dan formed Discomfort Creature a few years ago and play here in Denver once or twice a year. https://www.punkrocktheory.com/music_reviews/discomfort-creature-discomfort-creature

I’m also a huge Native Daughters fan. I went to school with their guitarist Justin Hackl.

Justin played in a band called Qualm back in the mid 90s. We would go see them at club 156 and other dives that would book local punk bands.
Before Native Daughters, Justin played with a band called Only Thunder which was a post-punk melodic metal band. Great stuff. They’d would play the Hi Dive often.

Tim, I wouldn’t be surprised if we were at some of the same shows. Or if I ever saw you when you were playing with Small Dog Frenzy!

Some local Denver bands I was going to see regularly were Four, Pinhead Circus, Eleventh Hour, Gina Go Faster, and a whole bunch more I can’t remember.

Edit: I remember seeing Crestfallen, Clusterfux too!

Last edited:

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
wow that's awesome Scott, yeah I bet we were at the same shows for sure. Played 156 a ton, our biggest show there was probably opening for Jawbreaker one time. We also opened for Seaweed once in Missoula, and opened for Built to Spill once at the Fox on the hill, got to hang out with them. that's probably the peak of my rock starness, lol. when I was in O'er the Ramparts I got us onto a side stage at the Riotfest, using another friend band/hookup of mine.. because who doesn't like drinking cheap beer at 11:00am on Sunday at Mile High Staduim. Ok I'll stop the name dropping. but yeah, I'm kind of a big deal lol.

Johnny Utah

Rising Sun Member
Dude, pretty sure I saw Jawbreaker at 156!
I’d love to borrow that book!

Cruisertrash

Rising Sun Member
@nakman Don't forget those guys from Fluid/Frantix are in Cyclo Sonic, still out there playing shows. Heck, your new band played with them at Wax Trax recently. We end up playing with them a few times a year. Matt Bischoff is a genuine and funny dude.

@Johnny Utah Two of the bands I'm in rent practice space at Black in Bluhm so I talk to Dan Fox pretty regularly ... I mean, the conversation is always about rent or the heater not working or whatever - but I stand by my statement! Regarding Native Daughters, I booked a show with them at The Oriental ages ago, maybe 2010. My Dayton homies in Mouth of the Architect were touring and didn't have a Denver date or openers so I set that one up for them. I don't think I've seen Native Daughters since.

Y'all lose me on some of the 90s stuff though. I didn't move here until 2004.

@Hulk There was a Chicago band from the late 90s, very early 00s I used to like when I was about 19-20. The Chamber Strings. I even drove from Dayton to Chicago to see them once with my college girlfriend in tow. I can't remember the spot, but I think it was on or near Milwaukee Ave, maybe near Wicker Park or Bucktown. Not the Hideout, but a similarly small/medium sized place.

Johnny Utah

Rising Sun Member
Sweet Jim. That’s cool you know Dan. He and I have been friends since the 2nd grade and we’ve been in a couple different punk bands together back in the day…way back.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Yeah Jim for sure, I talked to Matt for a long time when we played with them a couple months ago, super nice guy and they're a fun band to watch. My first and only time surfing on top of a pit was at a Fluid show, back when 156 was still Quigley's. I can still feel it..

View: https://youtu.be/mvTVjDTTld0

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
@Hulk There was a Chicago band from the late 90s, very early 00s I used to like when I was about 19-20. The Chamber Strings. I even drove from Dayton to Chicago to see them once with my college girlfriend in tow. I can't remember the spot, but I think it was on or near Milwaukee Ave, maybe near Wicker Park or Bucktown. Not the Hideout, but a similarly small/medium sized place.
Maybe the Empty Bottle?

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
@Johnny Utah totally spaced it when I saw you today. Jawbreaker is playing a free show in Denver tomorrow, I'm thinking of going.

anyone else want to meet up?

Johnny Utah

Rising Sun Member
I can’t tomorrow. I already have plans. Thanks Tim!