ARP head studs

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Going through the motor on my '93 22RE, I figgered I would go with ARP head studs.

Sheesh. $140 smackers for that little mod. Or $129 from Summit Racing. Or $39 for FelPro head bolts instead. Hmmm...

Anybody sell head studs locally? Or do I go Summit?

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Going through the motor on my '93 22RE, I figgered I would go with ARP head studs.

Sheesh. $140 smackers for that little mod. Or $129 from Summit Racing. Or $39 for FelPro head bolts instead. Hmmm...

Anybody sell head studs locally? Or do I go Summit?

Summit or Jegg's. I prefer Summit as they have always met my expectations and have convinced me they appreciate my business! YRMV... :rolleyes: ;)

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
YRMV? My what may vary?

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
YRMV? My what may vary?

rice_krispies.jpg

:rolleyes: :lmao::lmao::hill:

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Answer to your question: Summit probably the best bet. They ship most stuff from Nevada and it's 2 days in route for ground service.

Extra stuff you already know, but I will say anyway:
Keep in mind that ARP studs do not have the necked down section that goes through the oil passage in the rocker girdle like Engnbldr's and Toyota's bolts have. With ARP you torque to 80 ft-lb and with OEM style you go to 60 ft-lbs. A set of Ted's bolts go for $25 and I ended up at about $50 for the set from Jerry.

You should call Ted and ask if his replacement studs are ready, he was trying get production of necked down studs, so a combination of ARP and OEM-style. Also you have to clearance the underside of your valve cover to clear the studs and I didn't feel like cutting the flame shield and grinding the valve cover. If you don't clearance the valve cover, it usually does not sit on the head right and leaks. Plus, the cover usually touches the studs, which makes the 22R-E sound even more like a sewing machine!

Ted recommended to me to use the bolts, less issues and guaranteed no issue with oil starvation of the exhaust rockers. I went back and forth with this and Ted's advice pushed back into the OEM camp. The only down side for me to bolts is the uniformity of torque isn't as high as with studs, but between the cover clearance and oil starvation, I simply didn't want to bother with it for a 9.0:1 compression engine. I mean, how necessary for a stockish 22R-E is that extra $100 worth of clamping force?

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Given the potential issues with threads, etc. on an old block, and this sage advice on 4x4wire.com (lots of good minitruck wrenching stuff there):
If you really want to do your head gasket for the last time? then install some ARP head studs.
it is more than the increased clamping force. But more clamping force is a good thing with an iron block and aluminum head... :thumb:

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
But you did get me to check with Todd... stinker. :D

He said with ARP, there is a stud which is necked down which goes in #1 (passenger? Driver? whichever is the oil feed) position which will not cause oil starvation. Other brands do not have this, and Todd has seen starvation issues first hand.

So I learnt sumthin'!! Thanks for the caution.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Weird. All 10 of the ARP set of studs I had in hand were identical, no special #1 that I saw. I had to see first hand 'cause I really wanted to use them. So maybe we need to watch that we're getting genuine ARP and not reboxed parts... But even so, that is probably a good explanation why some people get the oil starvation and others don't, all about operator error. I mean, man you'd expect a Cruiser guy to get his #1 bolt in the wrong hole, but not a mini guy.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Interesting. Now I know what to look for. Will advise!!

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
:blah: ...all about operator error. I mean, man you'd expect a Cruiser guy to get his #1 bolt in the wrong hole, but not a mini guy.

Attachments

• mattfarr_edit2.JPG
    mattfarr_edit2.JPG
    8.6 KB · Views: 382

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
We could have a lot of fun with that sign... :lmao:

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Here is an ongoing discussion on ARP head studs. BTW, Mosk on 4x4wire is extremely knowledgeable on turbo applications with 22RE motors, and his truck is seriously tweaked and very reliable.

Linkie

We will see.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Interesting that the one fella said he pulled the #1 for an OEM bolt. Seems to defeat the purpose of studs in the first place since you'd have to back them off to match the OEM bolt. FWIW, if ARP is necking down the #1, I would have had a much easier time using them. Then you just sometimes have to clearance the valve cover webbing, but that depends on lots of variables, the head and rocker assembly height, who's VC gasket you have, how old and squished it is, etc. I know people say oil starvation is rare, it seemed to be real and it would be my luck that I'd have had the right combo to be a member of the 2%'er club.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Al with ARP has had no reports at all of oil starvation, and he worked for Toyota for 20 years and is an admirer of the 22RE. He is looking into it though, stay tuned.