anybody got some flat old rear springs?

74fj40

Hard Core 4+
Going to spring over the rear as its sagging a little. So anyone have some old 40 rear springs they are looking to get rid of?

Thanks!

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
I VERY STRONGLY suggest rethinking this. There are many approaches to that problem, however a spring over requires a fair amount of investment in time, work, money and engineering and is not to be taken lightly. I *think* I have a couple sets of bagged out leaf packs laying around (may have given some away, have to check), which you're welcome to.

Who's building your track bar (anti-wrap bar)? Which design are you using? Where are you mounting the ends?

Happy cruisin'!

subzali

Hard Core 4+
The front has to get lifted pretty good to match the gain you get by SOA the rear. Check this thread out - I guess he used lift springs on the rear as well as a SOA, so it looks kinda funny, but still...

timmbuck2

RS Club TLCA Delegate
Cruise Moab Committee
I do have a set of decent rear springs I am tossing to the alley cats soon...

T

wesintl

RS Moderator
Jeff is right on in his cautions! A properly done spring over is not an easy task!

But not all that difficult either. My original 40 had a backyard fab SO. I spent a fair amount of time and $ fixing it. I never ran a track bar but I never wheeled it REAL hard either. Never broke a pinion or a birf. :thumb: Problem is the springs aren't designed to flex that way (invert) when flat. They will S on you quick. I found fronts to do it faster than rears though. I've always preferred the SO over ride to any leaf spring lift.

Besides he said he was SO the rear only right now:cheers:

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
Hi Jeff, Just curious as to why you discourage SOA'ing the rear?

The suspension system is just that, a system. Modifying one part of it without engineering the rest of it is asking for trouble. Just like I've seen many bad V8 conversions and a few good ones, I've seen a lot of badly done spring overs, and a fair number of broken pinions and 40s that can hardly be driven on the road. I'm sure Kevin has too. I've seen a lot of S shaped stock spring packs, and broken leaves too. At a minimum, you'll be increasing your caster angle and thus increasing understeer.

Also, was planning on using the same style as woody on IH8MUD. I would be building it. (http://www.ih8mud.com/tech/woody/wrap.html)

That looks like a decent design. Obviously it was before he went coil-over several years ago. All the good ones I've seen use heim joints so the bushings don't limit articulation.

However, the problem you're writing about is bagged rear springs, and there are other ways of addressing the problem. Other approaches to solve that problem are less costly and would require less time, money, work and engineering.

If you want to see a well engineered and executed sprung-over 40, take a look at Dave Brown's "Red Fox". He's using custom perches up front on his S/R (normally I'm not a big fan of S/Rs but the way he did his is the proper way to do it). You might also want to chat with Joe Calleja at CTS in Aspen Park; he's a Rising Sun member, TLCA member and has done a lot of spring overs on customer's 40s. (303) 838-4772

Best of luck and happy cruisin'!

Air Randy

Hard Core 4+
I have a set of stock front & rear springs that were in pretty good shape when removed from a 1974 FJ40 3 weeks ago. They're yours for the taking.

74FJ40 - I have a sagging front leaf so if you're not going to use the front leafs from MtnTrucker I could use them.

Air Randy

Hard Core 4+
Who ever wants these springs, you need to "Git'r done" or they're going to the scrap yard :D

Who ever wants these springs, you need to "Git'r done" or they're going to the scrap yard :D

Any chance you could bring them to the next meeting?

Air Randy

Hard Core 4+
Sorry for the late reply, just got back from 1 trip and had to leave on another right away. I'm in Chicago right now and won't get back to attend the meeting, but I will be around this weekend.

isotel

Max, Keep it Low.. And IMO Find some FJ60 Stock Packs if your going to do it! they will hold up a bit better than the 40 ones if you don't have a track bar, you can also flip them for some more wheelbase.. which leads to a new drive shaft, brake lines, ect.. Its a Slippery Slope ;)

Its Easier to stay sprung under, but then you have all that junk to drag trough the rocks..

are you going to do the front too? Id just do it all at the same time!