Another new addition to the family...

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
No, still not a baby :hill:. We're done with those...

As I'm sure all are aware we bought a '97 LX450 last November that was supposed to be my new DD and rig to build up for 4-wheeling. Plan was we would trade the :Princess:'s Liberty in on it and then she would take over the Durango and I would take the Lexus. At first it was "I'll drive this until you start building it up." Then, after a month or so she confided in me that she really didn't want to drive the Durango :(. The problem is I'm probably what you would consider "anal" about maintaining the Durango - keeping it clean, babying it, parking WAY out of the way to avoid door dings, etc. Let's just say the :Princess: doesn't take the same approach and she didn't want to trash out the Durango after I had babied and cared for it for the last 7+ years.

So, I started looking for a vehicle for her (or me) and plan to sell the Durango :(. Finally found something we both liked :thumb: and we picked it up tonight.

It is a '97 non-locked FZJ80, Anniversary Edition (#267), in Antique Sage, with all of 95K miles on it. Bought if from a private owner that lives about 3 miles from me.

It is/was a total mall cruiser and seems to be in great condition. As of right now the biggest issue is the antenna doesn't go up or down (what a surprise right?).

So, we have gone from 1 Cruiser, 1 Jeep, and 1 Dodge 3 months ago to soon becoming basically an all Cruiser family :thumb:. Hopefully it will be a good thing.

QUESTION for you all....Would it be crazy to consider building up the 80 vs the LX450? If the 80 had the lockers it would be an easy decision for me as I really like the sage color and two-tone interior and that was what I really wanted. Can anyone think of any good reasons to justify building up the 80 over the LX450 that would outweigh having to add lockers to the 80? I've got to choose quickly at CM07 is rapidly approaching.

Oh, and if you know anyone that would be interested in a '99 Durango that has been babied all its life let me know :)

Some pics are below - sorry they aren't much, just what I had available from the ad.

Attachments

• 97 FZJ80 AE 1.jpg
    97 FZJ80 AE 1.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 146
  • 97 FZJ80 AE 2.jpg
    97 FZJ80 AE 2.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 150
  • 97 FZJ80 AE 3.jpg
    97 FZJ80 AE 3.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 148

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
build up the Lexus. I don't see the dilemma since one has lockers and one doesn't

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Lockers are easy... non-issue. Build up the one you want.

All I can say, is "bling, bling"!

My wife and I were watching Wheel of Fortune last night, and one of the big prizes at the end was a BMW SUV. I told her if I won that, I would immediately start chopping on it, and turn it into a tube buggy. Oh, I'd probably have to put Dana 60's under it or something like that, but it would be a hoot to pull that off!

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Build up the LX and give the 40th for your wife to drive.

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
build up the Lexus. I don't see the dilemma since one has lockers and one doesn't

That would be the logical thing to do but I'm sure by now most of you have been able to discern that I can be anything but logical at times :hill:

That said, either will look good on the trail :thumb: - but locking the 40th would eat into the mod fund for the LX

Nay

Hard Core 4+
Depends on your long term goals. If you are going over 35" tires, build the 80 and put in ARB's as the factory electric lockers become questionable strengthwise for very hardcore use.

Also, if you are regearing, you can do the lockers at the same time, so it really becomes a money issue, i.e. do you want need two locked rigs?

I'd build the LX, personally, and go straight to 35" tires. Better stereo and the seats may be a bit more comfortable. Then you just need sliders, t-case skid, lift, and regear when you want/need to.

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
I'd build the LX. You could swap the axles, but you'd need to put in the wiring harness as well. Not worth the time and effort, IMO.

Besides, your wife will look good in the 40th anniv. edition Cruiser!

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
Depends on your long term goals. If you are going over 35" tires, build the 80 and put in ARB's as the factory electric lockers become questionable strengthwise for very hardcore use.

I don't think Jeff would do the "action Jackson" style of hardcore use. There is no issue with the factory lockers, 35 inch tires for normal wheeling.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Pretty truck, Jeff, congrats! Man I want another 80 now...

oh, build up the Lexus. ;)

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
Thanks all for the comments and suggestions :)

And no, no Action Jackson style for me! 285s will be the max tire size for me for now 'cuz what I have are brand new and funds for a SC and regearing would require selling the 40 (hmmm....sounds familiar? LOL). Truthfully, I prefer mild, techinically challenging trails where trail damage is rare not a given.

On a side note...The :Princess: is already calling me to report the 'differences' between the 80 and the LX. So far she reports quieter (tires) but stiffer ride (suspension and the seats/leather feel), stiffer turning (have to check the tire pressure), and that the acceleration pedall fells stiffer? I'll have to do a search on that.