America’s Outdoor Recreation Act Introduced in Senate - March 16, 2023

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member

Manchin, Barrasso Introduce Bipartisan America’s Outdoor Recreation Act
March 16, 2023

Washington, DC — Today, U.S. Senators Joe Manchin (D-WV), Chairman of the Senate Energy and Natural Resources (ENR) Committee, and John Barrasso (R-WY), Ranking Member of the Senate ENR Committee, introduced America’s Outdoor Recreation Act of 2023 (AORA). Originally introduced in the 117th Congress as the Outdoor Recreation Act, the bipartisan legislation would increase and improve outdoor recreation opportunities across the nation while improving infrastructure and driving economic growth in rural communities.
“Anyone born and raised in West Virginia knows that when it comes to the Mountain State, there is no better place to enjoy the great outdoors. From a young age I fell in love with hunting and fishing, much the same way Americans nationwide fall in love with mountain biking, hiking, trail running and all the other recreational opportunities on America’s public lands and parks. I am proud to have worked with Ranking Member Barrasso to reintroduce this legislation that will bolster outdoor recreation activities nationwide, boost rural economies and increase access to recreational opportunities for all Americans,” said Chairman Manchin.
“Wyoming is home to some of the most incredible national parks and public lands in the country,” said Ranking Member Barrasso. “Our bipartisan bill will increase and improve outdoor recreation opportunities. It will modernize public campgrounds, establish shooting ranges on federal forests, and ensure increased access to public lands. America’s Outdoor Recreation Act will benefit everyone who enjoys the outdoors in Wyoming and across the nation.”
America’s Outdoor Recreation Act would:
  • Direct the Department of the Interior and the Forest Service to establish a pilot program for public-private partnership agreements to modernize campgrounds on Federal land.
  • Ensure that outdoor recreation is considered by land managers alongside other uses of Federal land by directing the Forest Service and the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) to consider ways to improve recreation when developing and revising land management plans.
  • Support rural communities adjacent to recreations areas by providing technical and financial assistance to local businesses, including hotels, campgrounds, and restaurants, to support visitation.
  • Direct the Forest Service to issue guidance for recreational climbing in designated Wilderness Areas and requires the Forest Service and BLM to designate many new shooting ranges on National Forests and BLM land.
  • Aim to modernize recreation sites by directing agencies to work with the Department of Commerce to construct broadband internet infrastructure at certain recreation sites.
  • Direct the Federal land management agencies to identify opportunities to extend the period of time recreation areas on Federal land are open to the public during shoulder seasons.
You can access full text of the bill here, a one-page summary here, and a section- by-section summary here.

rushthezeppelin

Rising Sun Member
  • Direct the Forest Service to issue guidance for recreational climbing in designated Wilderness Areas and requires the Forest Service and BLM to designate many new shooting ranges on National Forests and BLM land.
Really love this one, two of my favorite activities (although I don't get to do the latter near as much as I want given the cost of ammo ><)

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Meanwhile in Iowa, the governor is pushing legislation to BAN the creation of new public land. In a state that already has almost none... :unsure:
Please correct me but as I read the bill the intention was to direct the DNR to prioritize maintaining the lands and parks now over acquiring new lands, so the rhetorical "prevent expansion" would happen if upkeep of existing State properties falls behind.

Of course the answer is Raise Taxes (or Fees)! But at some point there's just no more room to rob from Peter to pay Paul. To have a State consider a bill on long range planning priorities and immediately having a side of the argument go straight to the extreme isn't helpful.

Trying to keep things from falling into disrepair and accepting the reality that it's not cheap or fast to buy continuous plots turning once owned farms into hunting plots and parks doesn't mean the State wants to ban new open space.

https://www.legis.iowa.gov/legislation/BillBook?ba=SF516

As interest rates go up the cost to finance loans and bonds increases and States, unlike cities and businesses, cannot declare bankruptcy. So it seems prudent for the State to think about long term actions, which might mean decisions on priorities and trade-offs. I'd make the argument that it sounds like your State is trying to stay ahead of potential financial reckonings.

Last edited: