air compressor advice

timmbuck2

RS Club TLCA Delegate
Cruise Moab Committee
Finally moving up with the big boys and getting a 'real' compressor. Not quite ready for a pro level setup, I plan on moving up to the foothills in the next year, so I found a cheap alternative for now...

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=138336-71025-KLA3706056&lpage=none

Kobalt
3.7 HP (Peak) 60-Gallon Vertical Stationary Air Compressor
13.4 SCFM @ 40 PSI
11.5 SCFM @ 90 PSI
155 maximum PSI
3.7 running HP
Cast-iron, oil-lubricated, belt-drive pump
Heavy-duty induction motor
3-year limited warranty
Quiet-running 76dB sound level

I know, not top of the line, but pretty good specs for $399. Any advice? Will mainly be used on the restoration of my 40 and typical maintenance on the 8o and the :Princess: Honda. (lite air tool use for now, a little sandblasting, etc no painting planned) Let me know what the experts think....thanks.

Timm

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
It's probably a lot quieter than my 110 volt Craftsman compressor. Next one I buy will have enough CFM to keep up with my cutting wheel and my sand blaster.

Beater

Hard Core 4+
it will work fine. I have the same motor, only wired for 110v(its switchable on the voltage). they are rebadged ch units, so pretty reliable. I only have the small tank, and I definitely regret it. I am always on the lookout for a good 60gal tank...

for even quieter running, plumb the air intake through pvc hose outside... world of difference..