Accessorie outlet: wire gauge for ARB freezer?

Three Wheel Ben

Trail Ready
Drew,

I think I ran 14 awg wire 12 ft for my fridge 1.5 years ago and have had zero problems. I know some of the guys on mud thought it was too small. I measured voltage drop in back and I was only losing like .15v. For all of my work cars I have just been using the rear power outlets and they are only 18 awg and still haven't had a problem.

Look at the main wire on your alternator it is 10-12 gauge and they were planning on 40-60 amps. Even the new stuff with 80-100 is only 8-10 gauge. So I think you'll be fine.

I measured the amp draw once on the fridges and it is 2.7 at compressor start up (highest load) it stabilizes at 2.2 amps.

hth

Rezarf

Hard Core 4+
Drew,

I think I ran 14 awg wire 12 ft for my fridge 1.5 years ago and have had zero problems. I know some of the guys on mud thought it was too small. I measured voltage drop in back and I was only losing like .15v. For all of my work cars I have just been using the rear power outlets and they are only 18 awg and still haven't had a problem.

Look at the main wire on your alternator it is 10-12 gauge and they were planning on 40-60 amps. Even the new stuff with 80-100 is only 8-10 gauge. So I think you'll be fine.

I measured the amp draw once on the fridges and it is 2.7 at compressor start up (highest load) it stabilizes at 2.2 amps.

hth

Ben! Thanks man, good to hear from you bud. I was thinking that this makes perfect sense, my 40 has a 10ga wire to the entire fuse panel, I thought that gauge would work well.

thanks man! :thumb:

Rezarf

Hard Core 4+
Bought 14awg wire today. High strand, high quality, I won't need but about 8' to my outlet. The numbers don't justify anything beefier, not even a constant load rating.

When I smell smoke, I will retract this statement! :D

Drew