abandoned vehicle title?

timmbuck2

RS Club TLCA Delegate
Cruise Moab Committee
So, how hard is this in Colorado? A '78 40 I am looking at was abandoned for years at this guy's mom's house. He is selling it, and is sure there are no interested previous owners. How hard is this? If it proves to hard to sell, he is going to dump it to someone to part out. It is pretty solid, I would hate to see that happen...thanks!

T

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
I've done it with motorcycles. Not too difficult. There are two ways: You need to attempt to contact the original owners after doing a VIN check to find out who they are. Send them a registered letter requesting the title. If they respond, great, if not you can get a bond for the value of the vehicle and have a sheriff varify the VIN then apply for a title. Another route is to do a VIN check, then use an out of state title company. You can send them a bill of sale and the fee (~$100) and they will "sell back" the vehicle to you with the proper out of state documents to apply for a title in CO.

Good luck, hope you can save it! :beer:

timmbuck2

RS Club TLCA Delegate
Cruise Moab Committee
I've done it with motorcycles. Not too difficult. There are two ways: You need to attempt to contact the original owners after doing a VIN check to find out who they are. Send them a registered letter requesting the title. If they respond, great, if not you can get a bond for the value of the vehicle and have a sheriff varify the VIN then apply for a title. Another route is to do a VIN check, then use an out of state title company. You can send them a bill of sale and the fee (~$100) and they will "sell back" the vehicle to you with the proper out of state documents to apply for a title in CO.

Good luck, hope you can save it! :beer:

bond for the value??

what happens if the guy who abandonded it wants it back?

the current owner claims he had a cop friend run the VIN and nothing at all came back. ???

Thanks!

T

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
bond for the value??

what happens if the guy who abandonded it wants it back?

the current owner claims he had a cop friend run the VIN and nothing at all came back. ???

Thanks!

T

Are you willing to stake your money and reputation on that claim? I, personally would have the vin checked by the state patrol before I invested a dime in it! Having played similer games before I can tell you that the two agency's you will deal with are the CO DMV and the Co State Patrol. You will play tag with both as they have you go back and forth jumping hoops. It will probably be worth it in the end and sometimes it's fairly easy.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
How about a lost or salvage title? Those hurt your resale value, but so what? Another question for the DMV, since they're the ones you'll be dealing with.

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
DMV gave me all the forms needed for the bonding process and even gave a list of sheriff #'s to call for the VIN inspection. If it was registered in CO, then it WILL be in the DMV system and you can have them do a VIN check.

I'll see if I can find the papers they gave me with the details about the bond. It was for estimated value only. In the meantime, I would ask the seller if you can get a rubbing of the VIN tag and then go to the DMV (there's one right at 44th and Lowell) and start asking questions. Good luck!

treerootCO

Rising Sun Member
the "DMV" (not really because it is handled by the County....Jeffco at 6510 Wadsworth Blvd #320 in your case) computers used to have a crappy database. Every two years it would dump all the data. That is why it is SOOOOOOOOOO important to have a title in hand. I have the bonding process at home. Good luck, I would rather beat my head against the wall then try to bond a vehicle for a title.

My advise.......sell the vehicle to someone in CT. They don't have, need, or use titles. Once it has been transfered to CT, have them sell it back to you. The original owner is SOL because of our crappy system. If it was at all possible, look throught the vehicle for a name and make every possible atttempt to contact the owner. If my Cruiser was stolen I would love to get a call years later from a concerned buyer.

http://www.co.jefferson.co.us/mv/mv_T120_R8.htm

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
My advise.......sell the vehicle to someone in CT. They don't have, need, or use titles. Once it has been transfered to CT, have them sell it back to you.

VT has the same "no title" rule for older vehicles...Makes it easy for a "seller" to sell stolen property. Don't ask me how I know :(

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
Edit: wrong information here -deleted

Last edited:

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
Here's the link to the DMV site as well. I found some of the forms on there in PDF format. They also have an online VIN check and vehicle hisory function but it costs a few bucks.

Colorado DMV

Can they do a VIN check on that old of vehicle? My experience is that anything 1980 or older (IIRC) can't be run by Carfax and what not due to VIN change to 17 characters. So, when you try to enter a FJ40 VIN you get a message that the VIN is invalid. Maybe the DMV checks their own database as opposed to outside sources?

And, not to bust your chops :hill: but the link you provided is not to the actual CO DMV website. It looks like it but it is actually some dmv.org site. Pretty deceptive that has tricked me numerous times in the past. The true CO DMV site is

CO DMV

And here is the registration and title FAQ page with some (sometimes) helpful info including #10 "If I purchase a vehicle without a title, what do I need to do to obtain a title in my name?"

FAQs

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
Can they do a VIN check on that old of vehicle? My experience is that anything 1980 or older (IIRC) can't be run by Carfax and what not due to VIN change to 17 characters. So, when you try to enter a FJ40 VIN you get a message that the VIN is invalid. Maybe the DMV checks their own database as opposed to outside sources?

And, not to bust your chops :hill: but the link you provided is not to the actual CO DMV website. It looks like it but it is actually some dmv.org site. Pretty deceptive that has tricked me numerous times in the past. The true CO DMV site is

CO DMV

And here is the registration and title FAQ page with some (sometimes) helpful info including #10 "If I purchase a vehicle without a title, what do I need to do to obtain a title in my name?"

FAQs

You are correct. My bad.

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
Nah...you're good :) - it is that stinkin' site that is bad. I can't tell you how many times I went to it while researching trying to buy a FJ40 from VT with no title (oh the bad memories :rant:)...Turned out to be a guy selling off an estates assets of one of the properties he was living on :mad:

My new motto...No title, no buy

Took me awhile to figure out something wasn't right about that website and it doesn't help that it is usually the first and most obvious link that pops up when you Google "Colorado DMV"

Last edited: