A442f keeps eating torque converters

My hydraulic a442f keeps chewing up torque converters. Anyone know what could be causing this? I did a full flush after I had the TC rebuilt a few months ago and used valvoline full synthetic dex/merc. Also does anyone know a good shop that won't rape me on price? Us transmission off broadway in Littleton did the TC rebuild.

PhatFJ

Hard Core 4+
I did not think TC's were rebuildable :confused:,, Other than a specialized TC shop. I also thought that when a TC goes, they send metal shards into the tranny destroying the transmission. I was told that a TC going is the leading cause of an AT transmission failure, other than the bands burning up from age and lack of care.. Interesting, I will watch this to see what others know.. Good transmission shops are hard to find, especially 442f. Sorry I cant help on the shop.. Good luck!!

When I had the TC rebuilt all symptoms went away. I cleaned the strainer out and did a full flush. Are there any auto trans mechs on this board?

Crash

Rising Sun Member
The A442F transmission doesn't employ bands but multiple clutches. What usually fails in a torque converter is the clutch and that uses a fibrous material so no metal shards.
Local transmission shops don't have a good record with these trannys in my experience. You might check out this link for further help: http://www.westcoastcruisers.com/transfer.php West Coast Cruisers imports Rodney's Wholesale Automatic Transmissions and parts from Australia and they have a great reputation in the Cruiser community. My 62 has one of Rodney's Extreme A440F with the billet torque converter. The converter itself makes the engine feel like it has an extra 50 ft/lbs of torque.

Thanks crash. I am looking into this. Although I'm having a very hard time getting a hold of anyone at west coast cruisers. Are they the ones you ordered your tc from?

I spoke to another shop and they said that it sounds like the pump is going and it's not providing enough pressure. Could a failing pump and low pressure cause the clutch material to "grind away" in the tc? It seems like an odd idea, but... After I had the tc rebuilt everything felt great! No noises, rattles, nothing. But then it slowly got worse again until now. Maybe I should just go all out and order the whole extreme trans and a Gturbo at the same time...

Crash

Rising Sun Member
I purchased directly from Rodney in Australia in '07 before West Coast became the importer. http://www.automatictransmission.com.au/ If you have phone service that allows calls to OZ without breaking the bank, give Rodney a call - he loves to talk transmissions. He'd tell you in about 30 seconds exactly what is going on with your tranny - if you can understand what he is saying. OZspeak, ya know? :thumb:

A failing pump will deliver reduced line pressure, which in turn will cause the clutches to slip. The slipping builds heat and shortens the life of the friction materials.

It might help to have a shop hook up a line pressure gauge on the test ports and get an idea of what the pressures are doing.