• RS MAY CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: Our monthly RS meeting on Wed. May 1st will be held at the Rooney Sports Complex. Details and directions are here. Early start time: 7:00 pm. to take advantage of daylight. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.
    If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

A false narrative

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
How is it closed to hikers other than a significant increase in difficulty to access.
It's not closed to hikers. All BLM is generally open to unrestricted hiking with only a couple of notable exceptions such as cross country travel may be restricted in high use areas and occasionally all travel is closed if re-vegetation is underway.

There's actually an interesting semi-lost hiking only now trail in the Tenmile area called the Texas Bob Dugway that you can still find running from the rim to wash. It's been closed to motorized and mechanized travel for years already so it's mostly reclaimed to a foot path. But you can still find a nice example of hand work done to carve the dugway through the rocks. I'm still constantly amazed what the indigenous people and pioneers were capable of doing to survive out there.

Edit to add, found the article about the old dugway trail. It's this sort of history, from Jack Bickers, that I don't think even the BLM knows or cares about anymore. There was a BLM employee back in the 1990s that I talked to, Dave Minor, who mentioned Moab was probably the most difficult assignment he'd had because the locals were very tough resisting federalization. Lots of torn down signs and other vandalism to whatever the g-men put in.

But I try to keep walking in the old prospector and ranching routes now closed to vehicles so hopefully they keep showing up on overhead photos and on the ground for someone after me, even if they're being removed from maps and books. Without a published GPX track I know 99.99999% of people will never bother researching and caching some water to walk around finding them, but you never know.

Last edited:

Crash

Rising Sun Member
My happiest days wheeling in the Moab area were with my friend Jack Bickers in the right seat. He knew places that extremely few others did and he was tickled to share them with me. Texas Bob Dugway was one of the many hidden gems he shared and he was glad that someone else cared to know places he cherished. He’s rolling over in his grave with what is transpiring now.

J1000

Rising Sun Member
How is it closed to hikers other than a significant increase in difficulty to access.
Increased difficulty to access, in some cases it would take days to arrive at a trailhead that was previously accessible by vehicle.

Also, the BLM designates large swaths of land as Areas of Critical Environmental Concern (ACEC) and Wilderness Study Areas (WSA) which I believe do not allow hiking off trail and also no new hiking trails can be created in those areas.

Cruisertrash

Rising Sun Member
@DaveInDenver I stumbled upon a couple of Jack Bicker’s books before a trip to Utah last year and then @Crash told me he actually knew the guy. Steve was nice enough to tell me some old stories. Jack’s books are a goldmine … and impossible to find now. Clearly the man cared deeply about the land, the ecology, the history of the deserts around Moab.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
@DaveInDenver I stumbled upon a couple of Jack Bicker’s books before a trip to Utah last year and then @Crash told me he actually knew the guy. Steve was nice enough to tell me some old stories. Jack’s books are a goldmine … and impossible to find now. Clearly the man cared deeply about the land, the ecology, the history of the deserts around Moab.
I have a couple, too. The one for Needles/Arches, although it's credited to Fran Barnes, and the Maze. I also have the Labyrinth Rims Overlooks.

The one I've had no luck over the years and would really have liked is for Tenmile. At this point the search for that one is probably bumped to lower in priority. :-(

Last edited:

Crash

Rising Sun Member
I have a couple, too. The one for Needles/Arches, although it's credited to Fran Barnes, and the Maze. I also have the Labyrinth Rims Overlooks.

The one I've had no luck over the years and would really have liked is for Tenmile. At this point the search for that one is probably bumped to lower in priority. :-(
This one? Since Jack’s passing in 2011 it’s the guide I’ve used the most. The only one I have that Jack didn’t sign for me.
IMG_2901.jpeg

LARGEONE

Rising Sun Member
No amount of public comment matters when you have a government that believes EVERYTHING belongs to them. Period. You'll have to change who's making the decisions in government if you want to save the lands for public use. The lands are "the People's" land, but we have allowed our government to OWN THE PEOPLE. Sad.