8th Annual Spring Creek Father's Day Run - June 17th

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
I will be leading our eighth annual Father's Day trail ride Sunday June 17th. The trail is moderate to difficult. It used to do-able in a stocker with a good driver, but in recent years has become more difficult for a stocker, so 33s and a rear locker are recommended. With a small group, this is a half day trail. This run has become very popular and will probably take longer. As always, the amount of time will depend on our group size, trail traffic and (hopefully not) breakage or mechanical issues. Tools and spares are recommended. We will be in cell phone coverage most of the way, and within hiking distance of civilization.

We will meet at the McDonalds at the El Rancho (Evergreen Parkway) exit of I-70 at 8:00AM and depart at 8:30 AM. We used to start later, but an earlier start may help us avoid too much trail traffic. The trailhead is off the Downieville exit of I-70. We will start on CB channel 4, but if we get stepped on by too many others we will switch to channel 5.

The trail starts near Downieville, and ends up either at I-70 in Georgetown or on CO-103 near Chicago Creek, depending on the route out we choose to take. The trail gets progressively more difficult as we go up until we reach the rock garden. The "big obstacle" is the rock garden near the top. There is sort of a winding bypass, but it too is difficult, and has become more so in recent years. There are several interesting obstacles before that, including a steep shelf that might remind you of Moab, some whoop dee doos right after that, a hill where we had a rollover the year before last year but has a bypass, another dirt hill with no bypass, a difficult rocky hill after a sharp left with no bypass, and then the rock garden. After the rock garden the trail is still difficult until we reach the meadow at the top. After the meadow, it is an easy Subaru-grade drive out on dirt forest roads to either I-70 or CO-103.

Traffic back to Denver has been an issue the last several years, with stop and go on I-70. Last year we discovered how to take the frontage roads all the way from Georgetown to Idaho Springs, where the traffic generally thins out. We will play it by ear (or eyes) and see what route we take home. If we drop down into Georgetown, you can see whether I-70 is clogged with traffic from the switchbacks high above. We figured out a route on the bypass roads last year and can get all the way from Georgetown to Idaho Springs on the side routes.

There were links to reports from previous runs from the old forum, I'll see what I can do to provide some visuals of what to expect. Bring lunch, water (lots), your father, kids, your camera and permagrin. This is always a fun trail and good time.

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
I've used those frontage roads for years coming back from skiing. The only caveat is that there are a few small townships along the way where the speed limit drops to 20 mph. I've seen lots of people get tickets, and the cops seem especially vigilant on Sundays. Be on the lookout for the sudden change in speed limits, and you'll be fine.

Not sure if I'm going to make it this year. It's a great trail, and I'm jonesin' to get back out, so hopefully this will be on my schedule. :)

farnhamstj

Hard Core 4+
Great trail, I plan on making it. Moderate in a 40, down right difficult in a 100. I suffered some good damage last year. Dented gas tank, dented rear axle housing, bent rear lower control arm. But I'll do it again this year. Got to check the new mods on a trail I know I struggled with. The 80's and runners made it look easy.

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Say! This looks like a great run! I ran it several years ago (when the Gnewt was still on 31's, and maybe not even locked). Can I meet you at the trailhead? Seems silly to go east to meet y'all! I regret that I will not be able to run Argentine this weekend (already committed elswhere).

LandBruiser

Lifted
Was up there on sunday and the trail was blocked....for me at least. A skinny heep could maybe make it past. About .2 from the first little obstacle in the middle of the shelf road. A boulder about 3ft tall and I couldn't sneek past it. Was too narrow to attempt to drive over and risk tipping off a 1000ft cliff. Hopefully someone will find somewhere to winch it or whatev....

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
A winch and a snatch block sounds to be in order, unless someone's already cleared it. Normally the trail just starts to be passable (from snow) right around the first or second week of June, which is why the timing of the run. By this weekend there will likely be quite a few folks headed up, and I wouldn't be surprised if the rock were cleared by this weekend. But thanks for the heads-up Jason!

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
The Romer Caravan will be there

father's day run - spring creek

Hi All:

sounds like a good time,this was my very 1st run with the club, going down
towards georgetown seemed harder/rougher than go up,but i have 2 lockers
in the good ol tacoma,worked great at moab! cost me 167.00 to fix the
high pressure power steering line from moab elephant hill.....anyway count
us in for this run,look forward to it!:thumb:

Evrgrnmtnman

Trail Ready
I plan on being there. Will meet ya'll at the trail head since I live close by!

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+

Groucho

Rising Sun Ham Guru
I will be blowing the whistle from Georgetown so you guys don't get lost! Come by the station and say "hi!"

Hi all:

not sure if i will be able to make it, having elcetrical problems with the
compressor for my arb lockers the past few days. iam much of a elctrician,
but all the connections at the compressor switch and at the compressor appear to be tight,nothing frayed. sometimes it will come on for like 5 - 10
seconds,which isnt right.then other times wont come on at all! last yr when
i went on this run, i had the rear locker in,front was still open,with just the
rear locker, i didnt do to bad,but now it would be open in both diff's! so iam
not sure,there where a couple of places that were pretty tough,dont know
if i want to try it with at least one locker working! any ideas? if i dont make it,every one else have a good time and be safe!